Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Infections Spotted In Old Email Archive

Options

Hi,

I'm rather new to Bitdefender (BIS2008), just installed it last night and well, it detected "infections" which my N360 and NIS 2007 couldn't, i'm impressed. :)

But right now, i have 37 infections as per Log File, some trojans, worms inside my .mbx files from my previous PC outlook. (not imported to new PC's outlook yet)

I do not utilize them at the moment but i do wish to open them in the near future as there are some important documents and emails which i need.

I can't delete or quarantine them due to them being "archived".

What should i do now to manually delete away the infected emails?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Imma

Comments

• adt
    Options

Click on start,my computer go to the tools menu,folder options,display (view),check show hidden files and folders on apply. Now you have navigate further to documents and settings

• Click on start,my computer go to the tools menu,folder options,display (view),check show hidden files and folders on apply. Now you have navigate further to documents and settings

Thanks but i do not want to delete away the whole .mbx files, i still would like to keep some of the emails and eradicate the infected ones.

How can this be resolved?

Please kindly help, thanks.

• Hi,

i found this information in the web.

klick

greets

loony

• Hi,

i found this information in the web.

klick

greets

loony

Thanks but my question now is how do i go about clearing away the infected files inside the .mbx files?

Do i have to import the .mbx files to outlook and manually delete? Will it risk having an infection? :)

• Hi,

you have the path, right ?

go to windows explorer and scann the folder with the context scann (right click on mouse)

post the log please

greets

loony

• Hi Loony,

Did as requested only on the inbox section, i still have some in other sub folders which i havent scanned.

After scanning, im unable to remove the infected files, please advise.

Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Log as follows:

BitDefender Log File !!!!!

Product : BitDefender Internet Security 2008

Version : BitDefender UIScanner v.11

Log date : 22:11:23 25/02/2008

Log path : C:\Documents and Settings\Nicholas\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles\Logs\contextual\1203948683_1_02.xml

Scan Paths:Path0000: C:\Backup\Serenity\Old PC Stuffs\PLATINUM (D)\Program Files\Outlook Express\nickwh\Mail\Inbox.mbx

Scan Options:Scan for viruses : Yes

Scan for adware : Yes

Scan for spyware : Yes

Scan for applications : Yes

Scan for dialers : Yes

Scan for rootkits : No

Target selection options:Scan registry keys : No

Scan cookies : No

Scan boot sectors : No

Scan memory processes : No

Scan archives : Yes

Scan runtime packers : Yes

Scan emails : Yes

Scan all files : Yes

Heuristic Scan : Yes

Scanned extensions :

Excluded extensions :

Target ProcessingDefault action for infected objects : Disinfect

Default action for suspicious objects : None

Default action for hidden objects : None

Scan engines summaryNumber of virus signatures : 983341

Archive plugins : 41

Email plugins : 6

Scan plugins : 12

Archive plugins : 41

System plugins : 4

Unpack plugins : 7

Overall scan summaryScanned items : 876

Infected items : 4

Suspicious items : 0

Resolved items : 0

Individual viruses found : 2

Scanned directories : 0

Scanned boot sectors : 0

Scanned archives : 456

Input-output errors : 0

Scan time : 00:00:00:07

Files per second : 125

Scanned processes summaryScanned : 0

Infected : 0

Scanned registry keys summaryScanned : 0

Scanned cookies summaryScanned : 0

Remaining issues:Object Name Threat Name Final Status

C:\Backup\Serenity\Old PC Stuffs\PLATINUM (D)\Program Files\Outlook Express\nickwh\Mail\Inbox.mbx=](message 24)=][subject: Things which U want !!!][Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 15:07:47 +0800]=](MIME part)=]Gun.exe Application.Joke.Winshoot.A Disinfect Failed (file was in an archive)

C:\Backup\Serenity\Old PC Stuffs\PLATINUM (D)\Program Files\Outlook Express\nickwh\Mail\Inbox.mbx=](message 25)=][subject: Things which U want !!!][Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 15:07:47 +0800]=](MIME part)=]Gun.exe Application.Joke.Winshoot.A Disinfect Failed (file was in an archive)

C:\Backup\Serenity\Old PC Stuffs\PLATINUM (D)\Program Files\Outlook Express\nickwh\Mail\Inbox.mbx=](message 58)=][subject: Shoot Shoot][Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 12:02:24 +0800]=](MIME part)=]Gun.exe Application.Joke.Winshoot.A Disinfect Failed (file was in an archive)

C:\Backup\Serenity\Old PC Stuffs\PLATINUM (D)\Program Files\Outlook Express\nickwh\Mail\Inbox.mbx=](message 189)=][subject: Games !!!][Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 17:43:40 +0800]=](MIME part)=]jackpot.exe Joke.Stript Delete Failed (file was in an archive)

Resolved issues:Object Name Threat Name Final Status

Objects that were not scanned:Object Name Reason Final Status

• Hi,

OK, or not good. It is better when you scann online with version 10

Please go on bitdefender .com there on onlinescan

with setting to scann

delete first

delete second

because the virus is in a archive

when this failds, you must compress the email folder.

But i did know if the virus can delete when the folder is compressed.

This is not tested by my self.

greets

loony

• Immaculate28
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hmm, doesn't this make myself purchasing the Bit Defender Internet Security 2008 futile??

I have a feeling that i won't be able to clear the virus because it is inside an archived email folder.

I will try soon and update you with the online scanner, thanks.

Edit: Btw, if i click delete first and delete second, won't it delete away my inbox.mbx file totally instead of the infected files in one of the emails?

• alexcrist
    Options

Hello Immaculate28,

No, BD doesn't delete hole archives when some files are found infected/suspected in them.

Also, BD won't delete any files found in archives, because it doesn't have write access (it can only read archives).

What you need to do is this:

- disable BD realtime protection

- open Outlook and navigate to the reported e-mails

- don't open the e-mails...simply delete them (also delete them from Trash)

- Compact the e-mail folders (you should find this function in one of Outlook's menus... In OutLook Express, which I'm using, is in File -> Folders -> Compact all folders)

- Close Outlook

- Re-enable BD Realtime Protection

- make another scan to see if you're clean

Don't worry about infections. The infected items are attachments of some e-mails. As long as you don't open those attachments, you're safe. :)

Cris.

• Thanks Cris for answering my queries.

Yup, i did that and i am still amazed that BDIS 2008 can detect so well!!! :)

Deleted the infected emails already and ran a scan earlier, so far so good, i'm clean!!

Although there seems to be some "problems" whenever im trying to manually update the virus signatures, once awhile it gets cranky but as long as it is protecting me, that's good enough. :)

Will be installing the other license copy to my gf's PC soon.

• Hi All,

I got rid of every possible virus/trojan i could find.....however, there is this:

Application.Whenu.Savenow.V detected in

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B8D64EF0-AF55-4743-A008-9642D3149954}\RP118\A0038980.exe=](NSIS o)=]zlib_nsis0010 Application.Whenu.Savenow.V Delete Failed (file was in an archive)

I'm unable to delete it or remove it, i can't even find the System Volume Information directory after enabling show hidden folders.

Bitdefender is unable to remove due to it being a file in an archive, please assist.

Thanks,

Imma

• Thanks Cris, im gonna try it out soon, it's good to know BD has efficient replies pertaining to end user's queries. :)

• Done, however, Bitdefender seems to be rather laggy, especially when i'm in windows explorer switching between different folders.

My PC is rather new, C2D E6750, stock speed, 2GB ram etc etc......didn't have this weird short lag problem.

Happens when i'm trying to click on a scan to do normal or deep scan, it doesn't respond at all, gotta close BDIS and open again then scan.