Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Multiple Machines & Login

Options

Have Bitdefender Free running fine on one machine, tried running it on a second, but it will not login.

I get "The connection to the server has failed. Product could not be activated..."

Internet connection is working fine.

Log has no pertinent info.

Reinstalled, no change.

Tried logging in on the website with account created on first machine, logged into site fine, but did not change machine 2 login situation.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Have Bitdefender Free running fine on one machine, tried running it on a second, but it will not login.

Any ideas?

mahks:

I am curious: Did you register Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition from your second machine? Or, did you try to login the product (in the second machine) with the same registration from the first machine? It is possible the registration of this product is for a single user. The on this regard End User Software License provided has:

APPLICATION SOFTWARE. You may install and use Bitdefender, on as many computers as necessary with the limitation imposed by the total number of licensed users. You may make one additional copy for back-up purpose.

DESKTOP USER LICENSE. This license applies to Bitdefender software that can be installed on a single computer and which does not provide network services. Each primary user may install this software on a single computer and may make one additional copy for backup on a different device. The number of primary users allowed is the number of the users of the license.

The registration process of this product may be for a single machine and take it's identification in consideration. As a fact, the computer where I have this antivirus appears registered in my.bitdefender.com account. I am unclear that it would be possible to have more than than one device for this product in the same account. If I try to add another device to my.bitdefender.com account it will refer me to install Bitdefener Total Security Multi-Device, which is a different product. Since I have no other device, I have no experience to give a definite answer on this regard.

I hope someone can settle the answer for the question:

Can a single
    account be used to log-in more than one computer with
    Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition
    ?

--graciliano

• When bitdefender returned that error, I then went to the website and logged in with the registration from the first machine.

Both machines are on the same network and use the same router for internet access, could that be an issue?

So my problem is bitdefender (on 2nd machine) is not giving me the prompt to create a new account or access the other one.

I could create a new account on the website, but I don't see how the local app would know I did that...

• When bitdefender returned that error, I then went to the website and logged in with the registration from the first machine.

Both machines are on the same network and use the same router for internet access, could that be an issue?

So my problem is bitdefender (on 2nd machine) is not giving me the prompt to create a new account or access the other one.

I could create a new account on the website, but I don't see how the local app would know I did that...

mahks:

I was able to reproduce the message:

Error

The connection to the server has failed. The product could not be activated.

Check the connection and try again

To do this: I logged out Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition from My Bitdefender. I did an exit from the interface (from the tray icon). I severed my Internet connection. And then I restarted the interface (through the start menu). Indeed there was no prompt for any account. After reestablishing the Internet connection, I had to restart the interface to be able to log in the product again.

This leads me to think something is preventing the connection of the software in your second machine (sorry I was not trying hard enough to understand your problem before). Shutting down the first machine and then restarting the second machine could easily disprove any interference from the first one, which I doubt to be the culprit. Probably a firewall or the presence of another security product is preventing the communication. Please make sure there is no such interference. I hope this helps.

--
    graciliano

• mahks
    edited December 2014
    Options

Tried the following :

- Exiting BD on machine #1, no change on #2

- Shutting #1 down, no change on #2

- Rebooting #2 in safe mode w/networking ... DB hangs

- Changed #2 default browser from FF to Chrome, , no change

- Removed #1 from "my devices" in my account on BD website, no change on #2, BUT #1 was still able to login!!!

- Disabled network connection on #2, enabled WiFi, no change

Re Firewall: Just using win 7 firewall, no exceptions show for BD, but then there are none on #1 either.

No other security apps loaded.

I'm thinking it must be other software conflicting with BD, are there any known conflicts?

• mahks:

Can a single my.bitdefender.com account be used to log-in more than one computer with Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition?[/indent]--graciliano

Absolutely it can. I have it installed on 3 machines , all using the same account login.

• Absolutely it can. I have it installed on 3 machines , all using the same account login.

Are those machines on the same network?

• graciliano
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Absolutely it can. I have it installed on 3 machines , all using the same account login.
    Thank you for making that clear Dch48.

Returning to mahks' problem: I found an almost identical situation was presented in this forum a while ago without resolution in the topic: Login To Mybitdefender From Bitdefender Screen Fails. I have noticed this problem is reported sporadically by others without mentioning a second computer. For instance, the new topic by jason harris reports the same problem. Any solution there will probably apply here too.

It seems this problem is on the communication from the interface, gziface.exe, to port 443 (secure) of Bitdefender's servers. Other parts of the antivirus may be unaffected so the product may be able to update or use the servers to assist the antivirus service. Thus the product may work fine through the trial period.

Besides anything suggested before I can only add to make sure the required .NET Framework 3 is present with the latest good update. I add this because at times I had come to believe a faulty update* from Microsoft may had caused minor problems** in the proper functioning of the interface of this product in my computer in the past.

--graciliano

*Somewhere I read a bad update from Microsoft could "brick" some computers using an antivirus form another company!

**I am referring to rare times when the LOGS window would not show. This problem seemed to have a correlation to a period within some updates from Microsoft.

• Noticed Another thread with this issue as well.

A reply states :

The My Bitdefender login has just changed so perhaps they have not updated all the links. The one I used was https://my.bitdefender.com/dashboard, if you still cant get in, wait for a few hours for Bitdefender to sort all the links.

This was about the same time I originally downloaded BD.

When I removed BD, downloaded a fresh copy & installed, I noticed the registration deadline remained stamped from my original install.

This means something, the BD database on the server or in my registry has some old data. (maybe more than just the expiry date)

Could this be in conflict with what is now expected in the DB app?

Besides anything suggested before I can only add to make sure the required .NET Framework 3 is present with the latest good update.

I have Framework 4 Extended, is that good enough?

• I have Framework 4 Extended, is that good enough?

Installing .Net Framework 3.5 includes 3.0 and 2.0 (and they come as part of Windows 7). I do not know that .Net Framework 4.x includes any other version. I cannot say having .Net Framework 4.x alone would be sufficient for the proper work of this antivirus. However .Net Framework 3.0 should be installed automatically by the installer of Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition if it is not present when installing the antivirus. I would be surprised if it is not present at all. Its presence can be confirmed by the content of the directory C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0. I am more concerned about it being updated properly. However I have no concrete evidence this has ever been a problem for anyone.

When I removed BD, downloaded a fresh copy & installed, I noticed the registration deadline remained stamped from my original install.

Could this be in conflict with what is now expected in the DB app?

When I reinstalled Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition I did the following: I uninstalled first though Windows Control Panel's Programs and Features and then using the tool posted in the topic pinned at the top of this forum. When I installed again, I had a fresh trial period. I cannot say the first step when I uninstalled had any effect in this way of reinstalling. I do not think this would solve your log-in problem but it will probably make the antivirus work for a while.

• dch48
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Are those machines on the same network?
    Yes, they are. They also have 3 different Windows versions, Vista, 7, and 8.1. Also, one connects wirelessly, the others are wired. Through the same router.