Deleting Mail From Inbox Slow On Thunderbird

Hi. I have Thunderbird 24.6 and BD Internet Security. I am using windows 8.1. There seems to be a slight delay in deleting emails from my inbox only. Other folders are instantly deleted when I go to delete an email. It's almost like BD is scanning the email before deleting it. Can anything be done about that? I sometimes think I didn't hit the delete button and end up hitting it a couple of time thus deleting other emails I didn't mean to because of the slight delay.

Thanks

Comments

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited June 2014
    Hi. I have Thunderbird 24.6 and BD Internet Security. I am using windows 8.1. There seems to be a slight delay in deleting emails from my inbox only. Other folders are instantly deleted when I go to delete an email. It's almost like BD is scanning the email before deleting it. Can anything be done about that? I sometimes think I didn't hit the delete button and end up hitting it a couple of time thus deleting other emails I didn't mean to because of the slight delay.

Thanks

I have a similar setup except I am using BDIS, TB 24.6 on W7-SP1.

I have noticed the same thing as you. I do know that if you try and delete or get email while TB is compressing folders that will slow down deleting and receiving of emails. I don't get a lot of emails in my Inbox. Most of them are auto-put into either Trash or Junk so even if the deletion from my TB Inbox is a bit slow we aren't talking about more than few emails at the most when I open TB.

You might try having TB and BDAS sort your emails so those you want to keep go directly into a folder where you will keep them and those that BD and TB are trained to identify as Spam go to Junk or Trash from where they can easily be deleted. There should not be too many instances when emails need to be deleted from the Inbox if you have TB and BDAS properly sort them.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello,

Please let us know if the indications from this thread help:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=50664

• Thanks for the replies. Issue seems to have corrected itself between using BD Windows 8 Security which worked with my current license and removing the calendar add-on for Thunderbird. So not sure if it was one or the other or both but inbox emails delete quickly now.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Glad to hear it.

Thanks for posting back with your results.

• I am having exactly the same problem with Win7x32 ultimate and do not have the calendar add on. Thunderbird slows to snail's pace with BD ON but behaves normally with BD OFF. Does Win 7 have the equivalent of "Win 8 security" whatever that is?

Thanks

• Similar problem with BDIS2015 and Thunderbird on XP system. E-mail is loaded into inbox without problem, but very slow when accessing mail for reading and slow to delete (5 secs or so each). The two will get along for a short period after rebooting, but the plodding will start up again after a few minutes. Have compacted many times, as well as deleted and recreated inbox. Only 200 messages in inbox. Problem did not exist before upgrading to BD15 and does not exist if BD is off.

• Similar problem with BDIS2015 and Thunderbird on XP system. E-mail is loaded into inbox without problem, but very slow when accessing mail for reading and slow to delete (5 secs or so each). The two will get along for a short period after rebooting, but the plodding will start up again after a few minutes. Have compacted many times, as well as deleted and recreated inbox. Only 200 messages in inbox. Problem did not exist before upgrading to BD15 and does not exist if BD is off.

Answering my own post and probably jinxing myself by doing so, but this problem went away about two hours after I posted and has not recurred since that time. No reboots or anything changed from a system standpoint. Not sure if an auto BD update solved the issue or not, but something happened and life is a whole lot better. I'm sure that 10 minutes after I post this, everything will revert to the situation that endured for the previous three weeks, but gamble we will. If anyone ever figures out what actually causes this problem, I'd love to know for future reference. Thanks.

• Not sure if anyone else is having this same issue, but it did return after a system reboot. I found that I was able to make it go away by closing and restarting Thunderbird, but it is a strange issue that I'd love to understand.