Avg Internet Security + Comodo Firewall 8

Hi! I never before installed any Firewalls, so I'm not entirely sure how this works in this situation ---> I have Antivirus - AVG Internet Security 2015, it has integrated Firewall that controlls my default Windows Firewall. Now I installed Comodo Firewall 8 and my question is: should I turn off Firewall in my AVG? If I turn off Firewall in my AVG that means my Default Windows Firewall is turned off and my Comodo Firewall is turned on instead of Default Windows Firewall? Is that what I should do? I'm confused because my AVG is showing me allert that my Firewall is turned off and saying I'm not protected, but when I open my Comodo Firewall is says that I'm protected... Please help!

Comments

• Hello,

These are the forums for Bitdefender support, you should be asking your questions on the forums for one of those other AVs.

Ro.

• Hello,

These are the forums for Bitdefender support, you should be asking your questions on the forums for one of those other AVs.

Ro.

I know and I'm sorry, but they are not replying so I asked this question on few forums and no one replys yet but I need answer as soon as possible because I don't want to have 2 firewalls activated if that can cause me some damage and I don't want to turn off avg firewall if that means I'm not protected, so I had to ask this question in here cause no one replys me on other forums, sorry... :(

• Firstly, you should read the rules before posting on random forums. This topic should normally be deleted.

I'm going to answer this because it is of general interest and not specific to those products.

Once a third party firewall solution is installed, it normally disables the default Windows Firewall and sets itself as the only active firewall solution in Windows Security Centre(same for antivirus products).

This means that all reporting is handled by, and pertains to, that third party firewall solution. On removal, it is the responsibility of the third party solution to re-eneable the Windows Firewall and allow it to report.

However, once you decide to install multiple solutions, this behaviour is somewhat undefined from Microsoft's point of view, and the results depend on the products.

The solutions themselves have no standard way, no obligation, and really, no interest in reporting among themselves.

In your specific case, it appears the product A was already installed and product B decided not to report to Windows Security Centre(probably because product A was already there). When Product A reports its own status as disabled(because you decided to disable it) and Product B decides not to report, the Windows Security Centre will reflect only that status, and Product A will not inform you that Product B is running, as it does not concern it.

If you do not have any founded concerns or displeasures regarding a solution, I would recommend keeping all features integrated in a single product. Some functions like IDS usually work properly only with all product features enabled (and, again, products from different vendors do not usually share data)

If you insist on using two separate products, my suggesting is that you

- uninstall both

- install the vendor A's AntiVirus 2015 product in trial and contact them about downgrading your current Internet Security 2015 licence to that (but your licence might actually work. refuse to upgrade the product if asked to)

- reinstall product B

This should leave you with just one product reporting the status for firewall and antivirus.

It might be possible to do this without uninstalling, but I'm not familiar with those products so you might get better suggestions from the proper forums.

Hope this helps.