Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[won't fix] Rescue Mode And Windows 8.1 Secure Boot

Options
Charyb
Charyb ✭✭✭

While trying to run rescue mode, Bitdefender detects that my system includes secure boot and that rescue mode is not supported on systems that have secure boot.

Will rescue mode work on systems with secure boot in the future?

Please see attachment.

post-63102-1399311472_thumb.png

Comments

• Nesivos
    Options
    While trying to run rescue mode, Bitdefender detects that my system includes secure boot and that rescue mode is not supported on systems that have secure boot.

Will rescue mode work on systems with secure boot in the future?

Please see attachment.

You might want to look at the link below from Microsoft.Technet. I have not tried it so I can't comment on whether it works or not. You can try disabling Secure Boot, run Rescure Mode and then if you desire re-enable Secure Boot.

Note: I use Dell computers and they have their own key sequence for entering Setup to make changes like this one. So your computer's manufacturer may their own key sequence for access Setup and disabling Secure Boot.

Disabling Secure Boot

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

@ Charyb

Unfortunately, due to restrictions implemented by Microsoft on latest Windows versions, Linux operating systems (Rescue Mode is a Linux environment) do not work properly. This happens because of the secure boot feature from BIOS. Therefore, Rescue Mode is not supported on computers that have secure boot and we decided to add a warning as there is no workaround for this situation.

Since this passive protection is implemented on all new motherboards, to run different operating systems (including Bitdefender Rescue Mode) you would need to temporary disable Secure Boot from BIOS.

Before getting back into Windows, make sure you enable Secure Boot. If not, Windows will not start properly.

@ Nesivos: thank you for posting the Microsoft link.

• Charyb
    Charyb ✭✭✭
    Options

Up to this point, I haven't needed it but I give everything a test to make certain it will work just in case.

Thanks to both of you.

• Charyb
    Charyb ✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options

Sorry about the double-post. Not enough time is given to edit a post.

After reading this warning-

"After disabling Secure Boot and installing other software and hardware, it may be difficult to re-activate Secure Boot without restoring your PC to the factory state."

I think I will leave things as they are.

• Fangs87
    edited December 2014
    Options

So I disabled secure boot but windows still loaded normally, and bitdefender is giving an error about secure boot still. But I can reboot into the bios and its off. Is there a way to turn this off from inside windows so bitdefender 2015 will reboot and clean the pc?

• Curious to know whether this issue is still present in the 2015 products?

I have secure boot enabled, I've had issues in the past with BD Rescue mode and not being able to get back in despite re-enabling

Secure boot so I'd love to know if this issue still persists and whether there are any workarounds yet?