Access Is Denied.

Hi all,

I'm trying to solve a problem with Bitdefender Free version 1.0.21.1099. Bitdefender quarantined files that I need to use (phone rooting programs, so not false positive, but not harmful either), so I restored them from the Quarantine.

On the "Threat Control" page the file says "Excluded", but when I try to access the file, I only get "Access is denied" now. It doesn't seem to matter if Bitdefender "Virus Shield" or "Auto Scan" are on or off, it still refuses to let me access the file.

Anyone know of a way around this or do I really have to uninstall Bitdefender to access a file that it thinks is a virus, even after excluding it?

Comments

• honiag
    honiag
    edited March 2015
    Hi all,

I'm trying to solve a problem with Bitdefender Free version 1.0.21.1099. Bitdefender quarantined files that I need to use (phone rooting programs, so not false positive, but not harmful either), so I restored them from the Quarantine.

On the "Threat Control" page the file says "Excluded", but when I try to access the file, I only get "Access is denied" now. It doesn't seem to matter if Bitdefender "Virus Shield" or "Auto Scan" are on or off, it still refuses to let me access the file.

Anyone know of a way around this or do I really have to uninstall Bitdefender to access a file that it thinks is a virus, even after excluding it?

I am a new user with same version as yours, Bitdefender Free version 1.0.21.1099. I had a somehow similar issue, but I (partly) solved it: after disabling real time protection (Virus Shield), I rebooted Windows 8.1 and, ta-da! the file was unblocked.

If that doesn't work for you, you may try rebooting in Safe Mode (F8 at boot time, or use Msconfig.exe).

However, I am not 100% sure if my issue was exactly the same as yours.

In my case, Bitdefender blocked the copy of a file I had excluded from scans after it had been detected the first time.

When I scanned the copy of the same file on a local network NAS, BitDefender OnDemand Scan did not detect it. But when I clicked on the file, VirusShield blocked it. Actually the logs said "Deleted", but it was not.

Then, like I said, I could unblock it after a reboot.

Problem is, after re-enabling VirusShield, it did it again! It blocked it again. What's worse, it seems there is no way to permanently exclude that file from VirusShield detection. Logs say "Deleted" (but it is not), so it does not show in the "Threats" window, where the "Exclude" command is.

I have installed BitDefender recently, but this bug broke the deal! I guess I am going to uninstall it.

Also, the fact you did not get any expert answer on this support forum after almost a week... is not a good thing.

• I am a new user with same version as yours, Bitdefender Free version 1.0.21.1099. I had a somehow similar issue, but I (partly) solved it: after disabling real time protection (Virus Shield), I rebooted Windows 8.1 and, ta-da! the file was unblocked.

If that doesn't work for you, you may try rebooting in Safe Mode (F8 at boot time, or use Msconfig.exe).

However, I am not 100% sure if my issue was exactly the same as yours.

In my case, Bitdefender blocked the copy of a file I had excluded from scans after it had been detected the first time.

When I scanned the copy of the same file on a local network NAS, BitDefender OnDemand Scan did not detect it. But when I clicked on the file, VirusShield blocked it. Actually the logs said "Deleted", but it was not.

Then, like I said, I could unblock it after a reboot.

Problem is, after re-enabling VirusShield, it did it again! It blocked it again. What's worse, it seems there is no way to permanently exclude that file from VirusShield detection. Logs say "Deleted" (but it is not), so it does not show in the "Threats" window, where the "Exclude" command is.

I have installed BitDefender recently, but this bug broke the deal! I guess I am going to uninstall it.

Also, the fact you did not get any expert answer on this support forum after almost a week... is not a good thing.

If you are going to be using esoteric (and in my opinion, unnecessary) programs like phone rooting or other things meant for the more technically minded, then BD Free is probably not for you. It actually wasn't meant for you. It was meant for those who want to use their computers without getting into technical details and having to delve into configuration options. For those people, who certainly are the majority of computer users, it serves the purpose very well. If you want more control, then consider a paid alternative.