Safepay Will Not Open, Shows Error Message

dower4720
edited January 2014 in Safepay

I am using BD IS 2014 build 17.25.0.1074 (is that the same as The New Bitdefender?) on a Windows XP SP3 system and have used the BD Safepay feature without issue up until today. When I tried to open BD Safepay today it did not open and I received the following error message on my screen:

post-58453-1390942717_thumb.png

I have never received this message before and I have been using Acronis TrueImage along with BD IS 2014 on this system for over a year. Quick scans and updates seem to work fine and there are no issues shown on the BD home screen. No updates to Acronis have been done either so it cannot be a Acronis issue.

If I follow the instructions and use Task Manager to end the schedhlp.exe process then BD Safepay will open. This is not a preferred solution as I need to have the process open in order to use Acronis. Could this be caused by a recent BD update? Any suggestions on fixing this issue?

Comments

• I am posting this as a reply because for some reason the board would not let me edit my original post to add this information.

OK, I just confirmed that this issue has also appeared on a laptop running Win 7 Pro 64-bit that has BD IS 2014 build 17.25.0.1074 and Acronis TrueImage 2011. This just showed up after I started the laptop and did a BD update. Safepay worked fine up until the BD update today. My other desktop system, running Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, is using BD IS 2013 build 16.35.0.1936 (also has Acronis TI 2014 installed) and that does not appear to be effected by this issue. I started that system, checked Safepay (worked fine), did the BD update and a reboot and Safepay still opened fine.

This leads me to believe that this issue is today's update to BD IS (the New Bitdefender) build 17.25.0.1074.

• Send in a support ticket with the details - you can find it by opening the GUI and clicking the Help & Support link bottom right.

The sooner they get the details the sooner they can sort it out. :)

• Send in a support ticket with the details - you can find it by opening the GUI and clicking the Help & Support link bottom right.

The sooner they get the details the sooner they can sort it out. :)

Thanks for the reply. Tried to submit the support ticket per your suggestion but the process stalled out at the final step, gathering information. Anywhere else I can try and submit a ticket about this?

• I submitted a support ticket through My Bitdefender. Hope to hear from BD soon. Has anyone else experienced this problem with BD - Acronis from a recent BD update?

• I have same problem, today.

• I have same problem, today.

Same problem here running Acronis TI 2013 with scheduled backup and non stop back up.

Been using this with BD Total Security ever since the new BD was released without problem until the recent update.

• Be a good idea for the two posters above could also send in support tickets. :)

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff

There are a number of applications that tampers Safepay by switching desktop unattended.

We had a number of tickets from other customers that signaled that Safepay "dissapears".

The problem with these applications - among them, Acronis Scheduler, KABE4.exe, Yahoo! toolbar and others - is that they switches desktop WITHOUT consent, which is a big no-no. (Think of what Yahoo - and Outlook 2000 - did some years ago (Yahoo does it today) - when you play a game or watch something fullscreen you don't want New mail or IM notifications stealing focus or disrupting the gameplay).

Acronis does this, unfortunately; so we collected and examined a number of applications (some of them discovered in house, others from customer tickets) that do this and we implemented this in order to not be impacted without any warning.

On the other hand, this seems to be a double edged sword; one customer can encounter this issue, while you may not.

How do you think it would be better to handle this? As I see it now, this is a some form of "advanced" setting: some customers might want this automatically managed - as is now - while others might prefer to specify and handle themselves which applications impacts Safepay.

Would be interesting to have in Safepay settings, say, a section like

(*) Automatically manage applications that prevents Safepay from running normally ==> as is now

( ) I want to be able to specify myself applications that might affect Safepay from running normally.

Acronis scheduler | button: remove

Yahoo ! toolbar | button: remove

button: Add new application ...

Current (automatic) solution: pros: automatically managed via update; cons: might block application you *think* are OK

Proposed (advanced) solution: pros: let you in power of specifying which applications would impact Safepay; cons: you will probably have to observe yourself or rely on forum, support etc. about why desktop might be switched unattended, and what application did this.

What do you think about this?

Regards,

Cristian

• There are a number of applications that tampers Safepay by switching desktop unattended.

We had a number of tickets from other customers that signaled that Safepay "dissapears".

The problem with these applications - among them, Acronis Scheduler, KABE4.exe, Yahoo! toolbar and others - is that they switches desktop WITHOUT consent, which is a big no-no. (Think of what Yahoo - and Outlook 2000 - did some years ago (Yahoo does it today) - when you play a game or watch something fullscreen you don't want New mail or IM notifications stealing focus or disrupting the gameplay).

Acronis does this, unfortunately; so we collected and examined a number of applications (some of them discovered in house, others from customer tickets) that do this and we implemented this in order to not be impacted without any warning.

On the other hand, this seems to be a double edged sword; one customer can encounter this issue, while you may not.

How do you think it would be better to handle this? As I see it now, this is a some form of "advanced" setting: some customers might want this automatically managed - as is now - while others might prefer to specify and handle themselves which applications impacts Safepay.

Would be interesting to have in Safepay settings, say, a section like

(*) Automatically manage applications that prevents Safepay from running normally ==> as is now

( ) I want to be able to specify myself applications that might affect Safepay from running normally.

Acronis scheduler | button: remove

Yahoo ! toolbar | button: remove

button: Add new application ...

Current (automatic) solution: pros: automatically managed via update; cons: might block application you *think* are OK

Proposed (advanced) solution: pros: let you in power of specifying which applications would impact Safepay; cons: you will probably have to observe yourself or rely on forum, support etc. about why desktop might be switched unattended, and what application did this.

What do you think about this?

Regards,

Cristian

Christian, I'm sorry but I'm not tech savvy enough to understand most of your post. The one thing I do know that this was a non-issue until a BD update issued on 1/28/14, as confirmed by a couple of other posters here. Prior to the 1/28/14 BD update Safepay had no problem whatsoever with opening while the Acronis Scheduler Helper (schedhlp.exe is the actual process) was running.

As I stated earlier my tech knowledge is limited but somehow schedhlp.exe appears to have been suddenly flagged by BD therefore not allowing Safepay to open. If you look at my attached screenshot it also states that this is causing BD to not function properly. That is a bit concerning although from what I can can tell the antivirus, firewall and GUI functions in BD appear to be working properly without any problems that I would think would be noted in the Events function if there was an issue with these components not working.

Bottom line is I hope there is way the folks at BD can figure out a way to exclude the Acrosnis process schedhlp.exe from causing this issue. I do use Safepay quite a bit for my online banking and shopping and I use Acronis on a daily basis so ending the schedhlp.exe process, using Safepay and then rebooting the system in order to use Acronis is not a viable workaround.

• dower4720
    edited January 2014

Cristian,

Upon studying your reply a bit more carefully it seems to me that the decision was made by BD to add Acronis, more specifically Acronis Scheduler Helper (schedhlp.exe), as part of an update on 1/29/14 that would not allow Safepay to open if that process was running. Quote from your reply:

There are a number of applications that tampers Safepay by switching desktop unattended.

This seems like it was unnecessary as both myself and evidently Saxel also were using BD Safepay with the Acronis Scheduler Helper running without any issues of switching desktop unattended. I'm sure there are many more users of BD along with Acronis who were also not having any switching desktop unattended issues.

Your suggestion of having an advanced setting in BD that would allow the user to make the choices of what is effected by this change, while not an ideal solution, is better than what is now happening.

My personal preference is that you rollback the BD update from 1/29/14 that started this whole thing and let things return to how they were.

Meanwhile, of course, still waiting for a reply to my support ticket (2014012900180001) submitted yesterday! :(

• Cristian,

Upon studying your reply a bit more carefully it seems to me that the decision was made by BD to add Acronis, more specifically Acronis Scheduler Helper (schedhlp.exe), as part of an update on 1/29/14 that would not allow Safepay to open if that process was running. Quote from your reply:

This seems like it was unnecessary as both myself and evidently Saxel also were using BD Safepay with the Acronis Scheduler Helper running without any issues of switching desktop unattended. I'm sure there are many more users of BD along with Acronis who were also not having any switching desktop unattended issues.

Your suggestion of having an advanced setting in BD that would allow the user to make the choices of what is effected by this change, while not an ideal solution, is better than what is now happening.

My personal preference is that you rollback the BD update from 1/29/14 that started this whole thing and let things return to how they were.

Meanwhile, of course, still waiting for a reply to my support ticket (2014012900180001) submitted yesterday! :(

I agree 100% with Hicountryrider what is required is a return to the situation prior to the recent update which allowed both Acronis scheduler and BD Safepay to work together without a problem.

I never suffered a switch in desktop or any such problem.

A switch in settings is a possible more complicated option.

For the moment of course anyone using Acronis cannot use Safepay which is far from ideal.

Saxel

• camarie
    Christian, I'm sorry but I'm not tech savvy enough to understand most of your post. The one thing I do know that this was a non-issue until a BD update issued on 1/28/14, as confirmed by a couple of other posters here. Prior to the 1/28/14 BD update Safepay had no problem whatsoever with opening while the Acronis Scheduler Helper (schedhlp.exe is the actual process) was running.

As I stated earlier my tech knowledge is limited but somehow schedhlp.exe appears to have been suddenly flagged by BD therefore not allowing Safepay to open. If you look at my attached screenshot it also states that this is causing BD to not function properly. That is a bit concerning although from what I can can tell the antivirus, firewall and GUI functions in BD appear to be working properly without any problems that I would think would be noted in the Events function if there was an issue with these components not working.

Bottom line is I hope there is way the folks at BD can figure out a way to exclude the Acrosnis process schedhlp.exe from causing this issue. I do use Safepay quite a bit for my online banking and shopping and I use Acronis on a daily basis so ending the schedhlp.exe process, using Safepay and then rebooting the system in order to use Acronis is not a viable workaround.

I understand. In simpler terms, Acronis scheduler returns you from the Safepay desktop to your regular desktop without consent.

I have already escalated to management the issue, and we're discussing this right now.

Will get back to you ASAP with news.

Cristian

• camarie

We will add for now the possibility to continue in Safepay from the blocking alert which now prevents Safepay from starting.

I started working on this already, and I hope to push an EFX update next week.

Cristian

• camarie

I have finished the implementation - the detection will remain (and will warn the user about possibly incompatibility between Acronis and Safepay), but the user can continue into Safepay (instead of just being blocked).

Testing should start in few moments - I suppose tomorrow will be closed and the next EFX update (which we estimate to be released during the middle of the next week) will contain the fix.

Regards,

Cristian

• dower4720
    edited February 2014
    I have finished the implementation - the detection will remain (and will warn the user about possibly incompatibility between Acronis and Safepay), but the user can continue into Safepay (instead of just being blocked).

Testing should start in few moments - I suppose tomorrow will be closed and the next EFX update (which we estimate to be released during the middle of the next week) will contain the fix.

Regards,

Cristian

Thank you Christian for the updates on the status of this issue. If the detection message popup has the capability of the user opting to continue on into Safepay that would work for me. I do not use the scheduling feature in Acronis but do manual backups so there would never be an issue where Acronis would conflict with an open Safepay window. Not sure how the fix will work for other users who may be using the Acronis Scheduler.

I did receive a reply to my support ticket which is shown below. I think I will hold off on following the instructions until your EFX update is released to see if that corrects the issue. The instructions seem to be a diagnostic to determine if a particular BD module might be causing the issue which I don't think is the reason for the detection notice. What are your thoughts about this?

Thank you for contacting us regarding this matter.

We are sorry for the delay of our answer and I hope to assist you in a timely fashion from now on.

Please follow the steps below in order to find out if a BitDefender module is causing this issue (and if it does, which one):

1. Open the Bitdefender program

2. From the Antivirus column > turn OFF the Auto Scan;

3. At the Firewall column turn OFF the Firewall;

4. Privacy > turn OFF Privacy

5. Now click on Settings (in the upper right corner of the window)

6. Go to the Antivirus modeule > turn OFF "On-access scanning" and "Active Virus Control"

7. At Parental Control > Accounts > be sure the module is turned OFF for all the accounts

8. Privacy Control > Antiphishing > turn OFF all the functions

9. Firewall > turn OFF "Intrusion Detection System" and the other features here

10. Now restart the computer and check if the issue still occurs.

If the issue is solved by disabling all those modules, please try to enable just one at a time in order to check which of them is causing this issue.

Note: if the BitDefender product you are using does not have all those features, please disable the ones that you have.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Bitdefender Support Team

• camarie
    Thank you Christian for the updates on the status of this issue. If the detection message popup has the capability of the user opting to continue on into Safepay that would work for me. I do not use the scheduling feature in Acronis but do manual backups so there would never be an issue where Acronis would conflict with an open Safepay window. Not sure how the fix will work for other users who may be using the Acronis Scheduler.

I did receive a reply to my support ticket which is shown below. I think I will hold off on following the instructions until your EFX update is released to see if that corrects the issue. The instructions seem to be a diagnostic to determine if a particular BD module might be causing the issue which I don't think is the reason for the detection notice. What are your thoughts about this?

The instructions from support are correct, but not from this case. I understand the confusion, because there are actually two very similar dialogs (one from Safepay itself - which is the one you signaled) and one generic from the intrusion detection system (which also appears very rarely, but AFAIK it is triggered by having conflicting components).

Absolutely, you should keep both the ticket and an eye of this thread and the update to make sure the issue you encountered is fixed.

Regards,

Cristian

• The instructions from support are correct, but not from this case. I understand the confusion, because there are actually two very similar dialogs (one from Safepay itself - which is the one you signaled) and one generic from the intrusion detection system (which also appears very rarely, but AFAIK it is triggered by having conflicting components).

Absolutely, you should keep both the ticket and an eye of this thread and the update to make sure the issue you encountered is fixed.

Regards,

Cristian

Thanks for the info. I'll wait until the EFX update fix is out next week and post the outcome here.

• As of today, Feb. 5, still no EFX update as described by Cristian to correct the Safepay - Acronis issue. Hope this update comes out soon!

• camarie
    As of today, Feb. 5, still no EFX update as described by Cristian to correct the Safepay - Acronis issue. Hope this update comes out soon!

Bitdefdender 17x Update EFX en-US - wallet & obk

Affected software:

- Bitdefender Total Security

- Bitdefender Internet Security

- Bitdefender Antivirus

Version: 17.25.0.1074 (unchanged)

Fixes:

Adds support for Acronis Scheduler Settings to continue anyway if OBK is used

Wallet extension not working with Google Chrome versions 32 and up. Switched to native host messaging.

Fixed Wallet Application Manager crash on exit.

Update has been released one hour ago.

Cristian

• Bitdefdender 17x Update EFX en-US - wallet & obk

Affected software:

- Bitdefender Total Security

- Bitdefender Internet Security

- Bitdefender Antivirus

Version: 17.25.0.1074 (unchanged)

Fixes:

Adds support for Acronis Scheduler Settings to continue anyway if OBK is used

Wallet extension not working with Google Chrome versions 32 and up. Switched to native host messaging.

Fixed Wallet Application Manager crash on exit.

Update has been released one hour ago.

Cristian

Status as of 02/06/14 1150 hours US Mountain Standard Time:

For Windows XP SP3 desktop system running BD IS 2014 (The New Bitdefender?) Build 17.25.0.1074 and Acronis

EFX update as listed above received and applied. After rebooting system per Alerts>Updates (hate having to do that as often as BD requires it) system appeared as normal. Accessed BD Safepay, as usual through desktop shortcut, and received the new detection alert (screenshot below). Clicked on Continue with Safepay option and immediately my screen went to just the desktop background image. All desktop icons and links were gone as was the taskbar, Start button, systray, etc. Just the desktop background image was visible. Waited for about 3 minutes to see if the Safepay screen would open but no change. I had to use CTRL + ALT + DELETE and the system reset button to try and restart. The normal desktop appeared momentarily and the system shut down.

After starting the system again and waiting until the system was fully booted I attempted to access Safepay once more (as above) and the exact same sequence recurred. Desktop image only, no icons, links, taskbar, etc. were visible and had to use the reset button to shut the system down.

For Windows 7 SP1 Pro laptop running BD IS 2014 Build 17.25.0.1074 and Acronis

EFX update listed above received, applied and restarted system per Alerts>Update. System appeared fine. Accessed Safepay from desktop shortcut, received new detection alert, clicked Continue with Safepay and after a one or two second delay the normal Safepay window appeared. I was able to log in to one of my Safepay links, log out and close Safepay to return to normal desktop. EFX update appears to work on this system.

This is very frustrating as Safepay was working perfectly fine with Acronis on my XP system prior to the update last week that started this whole mess. It now appears that the EFX update just released works with Windows 7 (and possibly Windows 8 - anyone with feedback?) but does not work with Windows XP. Only recourse on my XP system is to end the Acronis Scheduler Helper (schedhlp.exe) process.

Please advise.

post-58453-1391719289_thumb.png

• camarie

For Windows XP SP3 desktop system running BD IS 2014 (The New Bitdefender?) Build 17.25.0.1074 and Acronis

EFX update as listed above received and applied. After rebooting system per Alerts>Updates (hate having to do that as often as BD requires it) system appeared as normal. Accessed BD Safepay, as usual through desktop shortcut, and received the new detection alert (screenshot below). Clicked on Continue with Safepay option and immediately my screen went to just the desktop background image. All desktop icons and links were gone as was the taskbar, Start button, systray, etc. Just the desktop background image was visible. Waited for about 3 minutes to see if the Safepay screen would open but no change. I had to use CTRL + ALT + DELETE and the system reset button to try and restart. The normal desktop appeared momentarily and the system shut down.

After starting the system again and waiting until the system was fully booted I attempted to access Safepay once more (as above) and the exact same sequence recurred. Desktop image only, no icons, links, taskbar, etc. were visible and had to use the reset button to shut the system down.

EFX update listed above received, applied and restarted system per Alerts>Update. System appeared fine. Accessed Safepay from desktop shortcut, received new detection alert, clicked Continue with Safepay and after a one or two second delay the normal Safepay window appeared. I was able to log in to one of my Safepay links, log out and close Safepay to return to normal desktop. EFX update appears to work on this system.

This is very frustrating as Safepay was working perfectly fine with Acronis on my XP system prior to the update last week that started this whole mess. It now appears that the EFX update just released works with Windows 7 (and possibly Windows 8 - anyone with feedback?) but does not work with Windows XP. Only recourse on my XP system is to end the Acronis Scheduler Helper (schedhlp.exe) process.

Please advise.

I have forwarded to testing your findings. We're investigating immediately the issue.

Cristian

• camarie

Please advise.

We reproed the error on XP only (but it's the less forgiving nature of XP which brought the error quickly).

Simply put, it was a dumb omission - and I really apologize for that - we had the blocking dialog before (which ended Safepay when acronis was running), but now since it is possible to continue, it's the switch desktop affected (once we displayed a window in regular desktop we cannot switch in another desktop).

I simply cannot understand how we slipped this, but we did made this mistake.

I have already fixed the issue - and is currently in testing - for sure it will appear in the next update, but I don't know when this will be.

We'll ask the management about this on the next meeting, but since we gave an EFX just yesterday, I dont' know if they will agree to make another one so soon.

I am suggesting - and I know this is painful for both parts - that until the next update to try to use it on Win7 only, or to have Acronis not running (on XP).

I will get back with news regarding the next update asap.

Once again, sorry for this mistake.

Cristian

• We reproed the error on XP only (but it's the less forgiving nature of XP which brought the error quickly).

Simply put, it was a dumb omission - and I really apologize for that - we had the blocking dialog before (which ended Safepay when acronis was running), but now since it is possible to continue, it's the switch desktop affected (once we displayed a window in regular desktop we cannot switch in another desktop).

I simply cannot understand how we slipped this, but we did made this mistake.

I have already fixed the issue - and is currently in testing - for sure it will appear in the next update, but I don't know when this will be.

We'll ask the management about this on the next meeting, but since we gave an EFX just yesterday, I dont' know if they will agree to make another one so soon.

I am suggesting - and I know this is painful for both parts - that until the next update to try to use it on Win7 only, or to have Acronis not running (on XP).

I will get back with news regarding the next update asap.

Once again, sorry for this mistake.

Cristian

As Windows XP is about to go to EOL (End Of Life - not real happy about that either!) in 2 months I can understand management not rushing to push out the necessary EFX update but it still is kind of frustrating. Ah well, I'll work around it until the fix is ready.

I appreciate your monitoring of this forum and getting the boys upstairs to fix the issue. Too bad testing didn't pick it up before release of the EFX update yesterday.

• camarie
    As Windows XP is about to go to EOL (End Of Life - not real happy about that either!) in 2 months I can understand management not rushing to push out the necessary EFX update but it still is kind of frustrating. Ah well, I'll work around it until the fix is ready.

I appreciate your monitoring of this forum and getting the boys upstairs to fix the issue. Too bad testing didn't pick it up before release of the EFX update yesterday.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Anyways, we have asked the support to privately contact you with a temporary fix - probably the fix will be to replace the apps-preventing-startup.xml file and disable automatic update until the next one, so you won't get the file replaced again. This will skip the scanning for Acronis at startup and will basically let you work as before the (unfortunate) patches.

Regards,

Cristian

• Thank you, I appreciate it.

Anyways, we have asked the support to privately contact you with a temporary fix - probably the fix will be to replace the apps-preventing-startup.xml file and disable automatic update until the next one, so you won't get the file replaced again. This will skip the scanning for Acronis at startup and will basically let you work as before the (unfortunate) patches.

Regards,

Cristian

Thanks Cristian. Standing by to hear from support. Will post results.

• @ Hicountryrider

Thank you for your patience. I will send you the solution via PM in a few minutes.

• @ Hicountryrider

Thank you for your patience. I will send you the solution via PM in a few minutes.

Thanks for the information. I have looked at the instructions you sent in the PM. Cristian had mentioned in post #25 above that I would need to disable automatic update if I use this fix in order to not have an automatic update overwrite the files you have provided. Is that accurate? Do I disable automatic updates after doing this and if so for how long?

• I am finishing my whole implementation part, but I found some error while I will go through testing part. How long updating process need to implement..?

• @ Hicountryrider

The step #4 explains how to stop the product update as well. If you managed to follow all the steps, then you are done.

Keep in mind that the signature updates are still active. Your Bitdefender is updated.

To stop the product updates that bring modifications to the program files:

- restart the computer in Safe Mode;

- ppen the folder: C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender;

- locate the file: 'update_components.xml';

- right click on it and select 'Edit' or select 'Open with' and then 'Wordpad' from the list;

- once the file is open, look for the '<Product enabled="1"' string;

- replace the '1' number with '0' and save the modification;

- restart the computer normally

To reactivate the product updates you need to undo the above steps by replacing 0 with 1 in that string.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

• dower4720
    edited February 2014

@ Hicountryrider

The step #4 explains how to stop the product update as well. If you managed to follow all the steps, then you are done.

Keep in mind that the signature updates are still active. Your Bitdefender is updated.

To stop the product updates that bring modifications to the program files:

- restart the computer in Safe Mode;

- ppen the folder: C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender;

- locate the file: 'update_components.xml';

- right click on it and select 'Edit' or select 'Open with' and then 'Wordpad' from the list;

- once the file is open, look for the '<Product enabled="1"' string;

- replace the '1' number with '0' and save the modification;

- restart the computer normally

To reactivate the product updates you need to undo the above steps by replacing 0 with 1 in that string.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

I have applied the fix and now Safepay works as it did before the update that caused the problem! This is for my Windows XP system only. A couple of questions:

1. When I opened Safepay I did not receive the notification popup referring to Acronis Scheduler Helper and offering the Continue to Safepay option, it just opened Safepay. Is this the way the fix is supposed to work?
    2. Since the update_components.xml has been modified what will happen if BD issues a product update? Do I have to reverse this process as you've stated above in order to receive an important product update? If so, how will I know when it is necessary to do that? If yes then must I do this in Safe Mode?

Thanks for all the help on resolving this issue.

• Moldoveanu Marius
    Moldoveanu Marius Senior QA Engineer ✭✭✭
    I have applied the fix and now Safepay works as it did before the update that caused the problem! This is for my Windows XP system only. A couple of questions:

1. When I opened Safepay I did not receive the notification popup referring to Acronis Scheduler Helper and offering the Continue to Safepay option, it just opened Safepay. Is this the way the fix is supposed to work?
    2. Since the update_components.xml has been modified what will happen if BD issues a product update? Do I have to reverse this process as you've stated above in order to receive an important product update? If so, how will I know when it is necessary to do that? If yes then must I do this in Safe Mode?

Thanks for all the help on resolving this issue.

hello,

1. Yes that is the way.

2. You have to reverse the process to get product updates. It has to be done in Safe Mode. Watch http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=46294 for new product updates. An update is scheduled on the 24th of February (if no issues arise to postpone the update) that will fix your problem.

Thank you for your patience. :)

• hello,

1. Yes that is the way.

2. You have to reverse the process to get product updates. It has to be done in Safe Mode. Watch http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=46294 for new product updates. An update is scheduled on the 24th of February (if no issues arise to postpone the update) that will fix your problem.

Thank you for your patience. :)

Thanks for the info. From what you've said above will the update on the 24th correct the problem of using Safepay on Windows XP causing the screen to go to just the desktop image? I have saved the original two xml files that Georgia had me replace. Can I just start in safe mode, replace the existing apps-preventing-startup.xml and the update_components.xml with the original ones then do the update again or would it be better to just edit the current update_components.xml file as described and then do the update?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to do this correctly and also solve the lockup problem and have the original issue corrected. :)

• Moldoveanu Marius
    Thanks for the info. From what you've said above will the update on the 24th correct the problem of using Safepay on Windows XP causing the screen to go to just the desktop image? I have saved the original two xml files that Georgia had me replace. Can I just start in safe mode, replace the existing apps-preventing-startup.xml and the update_components.xml with the original ones then do the update again or would it be better to just edit the current update_components.xml file as described and then do the update?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to do this correctly and also solve the lockup problem and have the original issue corrected. :)

Hello,

the planned update includes the fix for the problem in windows xp. In order to revert to the original settings it is only necessary to edit update_components.xml in safemode, reboot and perform an update because app-preventing-startup.xml will be automatically replaced.

Have a nice day :)

• dower4720
    edited February 2014
    Hello,

the planned update includes the fix for the problem in windows xp. In order to revert to the original settings it is only necessary to edit update_components.xml in safemode, reboot and perform an update because app-preventing-startup.xml will be automatically replaced.

Have a nice day :)

I have followed your instructions. Rebooted in Safe Mode, changed the Product Update string in update_components.xml from 0 to 1, saved the xml edit, rebooted normally and did a manual BitDefender update. Update was about 6800 KB. BD Events view showed that a reboot was necessary to complete the update.

After the reboot completed I attempted to open Safepay and received the original popup notification that I posted originally when opening this thread that Acronis Scheduler Helper was preventing Safepay from opening. This was not the modified notification that had the option to Continue to Safepay that caused XP to crash to the desktop image only.

I am now going back to the temp fix provided by Georgia on 2/10/2014, post #27 above, which did work to allow me to use Safepay. I will wait to hear when the planned update that includes the fix for the problem with Windows XP that you posted will be released. Will that information be posted here as well as on Product Update Notification page?

• Moldoveanu Marius
    I have followed your instructions. Rebooted in Safe Mode, changed the Product Update string in update_components.xml from 0 to 1, saved the xml edit, rebooted normally and did a manual BitDefender update. Update was about 6800 KB. BD Events view showed that a reboot was necessary to complete the update.

After the reboot completed I attempted to open Safepay and received the original popup notification that I posted originally when opening this thread that Acronis Scheduler Helper was preventing Safepay from opening. This was not the modified notification that had the option to Continue to Safepay that caused XP to crash to the desktop image only.

I am now going back to the temp fix provided by Georgia on 2/10/2014, post #27 above, which did work to allow me to use Safepay. I will wait to hear when the planned update that includes the fix for the problem with Windows XP that you posted will be released. Will that information be posted here as well as on Product Update Notification page?

We just released the update, it will take some time to sync over the globe. The Product Update Notification page will be updated by our colleagues soon.

Thank you for your patience :D.

• We just released the update, it will take some time to sync over the globe. The Product Update Notification page will be updated by our colleagues soon.

Thank you for your patience :D.

You had stated that there would be an update on February 24th to fix the issue with BD - Acronis on an XP system. It is now the 26th of February. No indication on the BD Products Update Notification page that the latest update you have mentioned has been released. Do you have any idea when this update might be available so I can go through the process of applying it and having BD Safepay work properly with my XP system?

• There was an update yesterday I believe, at least I was asked to reboot which only occurs when there is one.

Latest build is 17.26.0.1106

• There was an update yesterday I believe, at least I was asked to reboot which only occurs when there is one.

Latest build is 17.26.0.1106

Thanks for that info. I had updated yesterday and rebooted. I had to follow the instructions about modifying the update_components.xml in order to be able to manually update to try and fix the problem I've been having with Safepay>Acronis on Win XP.

My build number still shows as 17.25.0.1074. I also still had the problems as listed in post #35 above.

There is no notification on the BD Product Update Notification of the supposed update on the 24th. Last notice there is for an update on the 10th of February. Link below.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=46294

• Moldoveanu Marius
    Thanks for that info. I had updated yesterday and rebooted. I had to follow the instructions about modifying the update_components.xml in order to be able to manually update to try and fix the problem I've been having with Safepay>Acronis on Win XP.

My build number still shows as 17.25.0.1074. I also still had the problems as listed in post #35 above.

There is no notification on the BD Product Update Notification of the supposed update on the 24th. Last notice there is for an update on the 10th of February. Link below.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=46294

edit and set Product enabled="1" or replace with the backup update_components.xml in safemode. Then reboot and perform an update.

• Success finally! The latest product update (Build 17.26.0.106) was downloaded and installed (after 2 manual updates and reboots). BD Safepay now offers the "Continue with Safepay" option on the popup notification and clicking on that opens Safepay normally with no crash to desktop image only.

Thanks to Cristian, Georgia and Moldoveanu for your help in resolving this issue. It took about 1 month from my original post on January 28th to the resolution today. Most of that time was the result of the original February 10th EFX update to correct the problem resulted in other issues with Windows XP systems.

Anyway, thanks again and I consider this issue now solved. :)

• camarie
    Success finally! The latest product update (Build 17.26.0.106) was downloaded and installed (after 2 manual updates and reboots). BD Safepay now offers the "Continue with Safepay" option on the popup notification and clicking on that opens Safepay normally with no crash to desktop image only.

Thanks to Cristian, Georgia and Moldoveanu for your help in resolving this issue. It took about 1 month from my original post on January 28th to the resolution today. Most of that time was the result of the original February 10th EFX update to correct the problem resulted in other issues with Windows XP systems.

Anyway, thanks again and I consider this issue now solved. :)

Glad we got a successful end to this one. We appreciate the feedback.

Regards,

Cristian

• columbo
    columbo
    edited March 2014

Yes, that pop-up notification just now helped me, too (Win. 7 PC) Kudos, BD team :)

DisableAcronishelper_zps70e71379.png

• I have finished the implementation - the detection will remain (and will warn the user about possibly incompatibility between Acronis and Safepay), but the user can continue into Safepay (instead of just being blocked).

Regards,

Cristian

post-35771-1396291891_thumb.png

• Appreciate this topic in the Bitdefender 2014 forum, but there doesnt appear to be a Safepay forum for Bitdefender 2015. I have read the above posts, my experience with Acronis True Image and Bitdefender 2015 is thus. I noticed that my Safepay shortcut in the Bitdefender 2015 module disappeared. Up until that happening, both Bitdefender and Acronis were working fine, not sure what caused the shortcut to disappear. After some reading I noted that Asus A1 suite may be a problem and as I was not really using this program, I uninstalled it. On rebooting as part of the uninstall, I promptly had a issue with the computer going to repair cycle (windows 8.1 64 bit). Repair failed. Not sure what caused this but with back ups I managed to get every reinstalled. Reinstalled Bitdefender 2015 via downlaod and safe pay shortcut was back on the module. I continued to install programs etc, Acronis True Image 2015 being one of the last. I noted that the safepay short cut was gone again in the BD module. I clicked on the safepay short cut in the program file Bitdefender and got that warning about acronis scheduler helper interfering with safepay. I disabled the acronis scheduler helper,managed to access Safepay through its own icon in the Bitdefender folder. I did a repair install of Bitdefender 2015 but the safepay shortcut in the BD module was still missing. Also I should add, the opitmize short cut was also disappeared at the same time safe pay shortcut disappeared in the module.

I am not sure what triggered the original fault, everything has been working together nicely, I never schedule an acroins back up and all 4 short cuts in the BD module have always been there. I have never had to use an external short cut for safepay and always accessed the safepay program through the BD module. Any ideas and sorry still appears a safepay problem or a new bug has crepted in. Never had a problem using Safepay via the shortcut within the BD module, even with Acroins working and the scheduler helper active, this seems only to be a problem in accessing Safepay outside the BD module. I would like to be able to use safepay via the BD module not via its on exe file external of the BD module.

• Disregard re 2015 safepay forum, found it and re posted there, unless you have some solutions.... lol.

Jeff