Bitdefender Broken (program And Company)

Up till recently, I was very satisfied with BitDefender. Lately, the program is all messed up. I've had to stop the automatic downloads, as though the downloads work fine, my computer freezes up for about 10 minutes while the downloads install. Even after eliminating the automatic downloads, it still downloads, on occasion. I've attempted to contact BitDefender, and no matter how I attempt to contact them, they don't even have the courtesy to respond. Without any tech support, I'm encouraging people to not consider buying this program and use Trend Micro instead. Since I recently bought a 3-year subscription, I figured I'd check the forum and see if anyone can help me here. My latest problem is that the automatic download hit while I had Outlook Express 6 open and Windows Media Player playing. As a result of that download and install, my computer refused to do anything, so I had to restart my computer. Now, whenever I attempt to access my Outlook Express, a window comes up and states that "Outlook Express has encountered a problem and needs to close." Is there any way to fix BitDefender and Outlook Express?

Comments

• Hello BJL,

It could be that during an update some BitDefender files got corrupted. Right click on the BitDefender icon near the system clock click on exit. Now put in your installation cd-rom or double click on the installation package and choose for repair.

See if this helps to get your outlook express running again. Press the windows button together with r now type this regsvr32 -u "X:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2008\bdo.dll" press enter. You have to change X by the letter of your hard disc or partition where you store you software.

When did you contact them? Did you used livechat,my acocunt? If you are using the my account contact form then you should receive an email in approx 3 days. Sending it to support at bitdefender com is infact a worldwide address for countries who don't have local support.

Best regards

Niels

• Hello BJL,

It could be that during an update some BitDefender files got corrupted. Right click on the BitDefender icon near the system clock click on exit. Now put in your installation cd-rom or double click on the installation package and choose for repair.

See if this helps to get your outlook express running again. Press the windows button together with r now type this regsvr32 -u "X:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2008\bdo.dll" press enter. You have to change X by the letter of your hard disc or partition where you store you software.

When did you contact them? Did you used livechat,my acocunt? If you are using the my account contact form then you should receive an email in approx 3 days. Sending it to support at bitdefender com is infact a worldwide address for countries who don't have local support.

Best regards

Niels

Hi Niels,

Thanks for your response. Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but I was never notified that I had a response to this post. I assume that BitDefender is corrupted. I uninstalled the program then reinstalled it and ran all the updates, but still have the same problem. I was able to fix the Outlook Express problem by using System Restore. I have contacted BitDefender using every means possible. I've tried the livechat and emailed them using all the email addresses posted, both on the program itself and on their website, both for technical support and sales, but no response from anyone. Without technical support, this program is worthless. Do you have any more ideas on how to fix this thing? I guess I'll have to keep checking back, though it does say that I am currently receiving email notification of replies below.

• Sorry, I guess I wasn't thinking straight last night. I didn't uninstall the program; I used the repair function and then downloaded all the updates.

• Dear BJL,

I recommend that you uninstall BitDefender by using this tool. But first right click on the BitDefender icon near the system clock and press on exit. Reboot your pc and install BitDefender again.

Best regards

Niels

• Niels,

I followed your directions this morning and thought all was working fine, but I now realize that the program has been trying to update all day, yet hasn't been able to. The total update line goes up to 385217% completed of 1088kb, yet on top it says that it was last checked a minute ago and last updated when I did the install this morning. Any ideas?

• Do I use the repair function or start over from scratch or do something completely different? Please guide me down the correct path. I'm not sure how effective this program is without any update capability.

• Deat BJL,

I think it's better that you now try the uninstaller because from what I understand you weren't able to install the updates.

Best regards

Niels

• I used your uninstaller, and the program and updates installed fine. Everything was up to date as of the install, and everything works properly, as far as I can tell, other than the fact that it won't allow any new updates.

• Is there a solution to getting the update function to work?

• For those following this post. I finally got a response from BitDefender tech support, and they recommended downloading and installing BitDefender 2008. I did have some difficulty downloading and installing the program, but it finally works. It isn't ideal, but it is functional. I still have to block the automatic updates, as my computer slows down when the updates install, so I'd like to choose when it installs. At least my computer doesn't freeze up like before. I'm sure that there are more user friendly programs available, but I've still got another 2 years left on my subscription, so I'll make the best of this till that time expires.