You Are Vulnerable

BD Internet Security 2016 is started warning me that my machine is vulnerable, every day or two. This is a recent change.

The issue is always "No update has been performed in the last 1 days(s)"

If I click to "Fix all issues!" sometimes it will initiate an update that succeeds, but more often than not it will fail. To update I need to back out and click the "Update" button in the UI.

I have the update setting for every 12 hrs, and silent update.

This machine is used regularly, so this isn't happening because the machine hasn't been booted up and ready.

Also, because the machine is used a lot, updating every hour (the default) or so seems like a lot, so this is why I changed updates to 12 hours. I made this change months ago, so it doesn't seem to be the reason all of a sudden I'm getting warned.

Is every 12 hours too long and is this why I'm being warmed so often?

Comments

• Hiya,

If I leave one of my computers off for more than 24 hours it does whine at me about an update. If I want to update straight away I right click the BD icon in the system tray and choose "update now", but as I have my updates set for every hour I usually wait for it to do it automatically.

It is of course in your interest to keep the definitions and updates as current as possible so if, as you say, you are using your device a lot then I would recommend you set the updates to a more frequent schedule.

Ro.

• You didn't read what I posted, or didn't understand the issue. Of course I can manually update. That has nothing to do with an automatic issue.

I don't leave this machine down. To be specific, it's up 24/7, but occasionally may be asleep for no more than 6 to 8 hour at a time. That's WELL short of 24 hours.

Why would I need to update more than once every 12 hours? Every hour is intrusive, especially when downloading can be slow at times. I would think that if I manually select 12 hour updates that I wouldn't be notified that I haven't updated enough if it's been only 8 hours since the last update for example. It's MY call when to update.

Is every 12 hours too long and is this why I'm being warmed so often?

• Unknown
    edited March 2016

To troubleshoot this, try setting the update to 1 hour for a few days and if the problem persists you should open a ticket with BD support. Keep track of updates in the the Events viewer.

That said, you should set for 1 hour, 3 hours max. The machine being used alot has no effect on its use or the update process. BD updates at least six times or more a day - one update every 12 hours leaves you vulnerable, especially if you're using the machine alot!

BTW, I set for 1 hour and when I bring my system out of sleep, it takes BD 15-45 minutes to go out on its first update of the day.

• That's not troubleshooting. That's avoiding the problem. Do you understand the problem I'm describing?

Nevermind. I'm sorry I said anything.

•  

Nevermind. I'm sorry I said anything.

We accept your apology have a great day!

• I assume you were being as sarcastic as I was.

This is an issue that I would like to understand better.

To be vulnerable implies that Bitdefender is turned off. It is not. While it may be better to have my machine bogged down one an hour that is not something I chose, nor expect. If we MUST update one an hour then I'd hope BD was a little more forgiving than to blast out a warning that implies that it it no longer working.

BD seem to be the only protection software that seems to require such frequent updates. Are the BD detection algorithms really updated that often? If so great.

Keep in mind that when a download is needed it is slow. If the download was was just a few seconds then it wouldn't be so intrusive.

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited March 2016

"No update has been performed in the last 1 days(s)"

If you have the update set to every 12 hours and you miss one then you have had no update in the last 1 day when you get to 24 hours.

Even though your computer is on all the time it could be for some reason you miss an update ever day or two and hence the error message. There could be several reasons for missing an update.

My suggestion is a compromise. Try lowering the update frequency to 8 hours.