Ransomware Protection For Network Drives

I'm trying to make my backup directories writable only by my backup software. The drive they're on is a NAS device on my local network. Unfortunately, the UI for the ransomware module only allows me to add local drives and homegroup shares.

Is there a way to do this at all?

Comments

• Any news on this topic. Ransomware is the number one threat this year, but protecting only local drives makes this feature useless. Come on who has important data stored on a local drive?

•  

Come on who has important data stored on a local drive?

Lots of people.

• I would like this as well - But then again I do not believe this to be a problem -yet.

Ransomware will most likely look in libraries first, which then BitDefender will notice and shut down the process (hopefully).

Well, after reading this post, maybe ransomware will start looking for network shares first, then libraries second. Time will tell :)

• Well the virus we had 2 months ago did not. It was undetected by the Bitdefender Antivirus module and encrypted all our network shares loosing half of our company data until the PC was shut down 4 hours later. I did not even find any traces on the PC that was infected. Well in our case there was not much damage, because we are running incremental backups on all our network shares and the last one was about an hour old, but if you are running only full backups every day without keeping old data or no backups at all, the damage would be huge.

Well of course loosing local data can hurt too, but in theory there should be no important local data anyway, because a harddisk crash will wipe it as well.

• I'm trying to make my backup directories writable only by my backup software. The drive they're on is a NAS device on my local network. Unfortunately, the UI for the ransomware module only allows me to add local drives and homegroup shares.

Is there a way to do this at all?

I have the same concern and I would like to find a way to protect my NAS as well.

• I think it's a good suggestion for future request topic...