Repeated Notifications of Web Site Danger

I just installed BitDefender Antivirus Free Edition Beta and I have been receiving a continuous stream of warnings about a web site that is dangerous.  I don't know what this site is, I never go near it and I would like to know why I am being bombarded with warnings.

BitDefender Web Site Blocked.png

Comments

• This is really a phishing site. It can be visited on your web page there is a link or a ****** on this site.

• 22 hours ago, lapka said:

This is really a phishing site. It can be visited on your web page there is a link or a ****** on this site.

I do not wish to visit it, I only want BitDefender to stop notifying me all day long of blocking it!  I have no interest in seeing a web site that is Phishing.

• It seems that the misunderstandings arose due to incorrect translation with Google Translate.

I wanted to say that the anti-virus can be showing similar alert due to the fact that on the web page there is either a link to a phishing site, or the ****** leading to this site. I don't know if now is clear my thought, translated by another translator.

• 1 hour ago, lapka said:

It seems that the misunderstandings arose due to incorrect translation with Google Translate.

I wanted to say that the anti-virus can be showing similar alert due to the fact that on the web page there is either a link to a phishing site, or the ****** leading to this site. I don't know if now is clear my thought, translated by another translator.

Sorry, I still do not understand you.  Thanks for your help.

• I think it was a false positive.  I uninstalled the beta version of BitDefender and reinstalled the stable free anti-virus and have not had a repeat of the blocking of the so-called virus.  I was getting at least 10 notices of blocking the same virus daily with the beta free anti-virus.

• It is unlikely it was a false positive.

The beta version is a different algorithm than the stable version.

• MrDoh
    MrDoh
    edited November 2016

I'm also getting these "Web Threat Blocked, Phishing attempt"'s for the following web page. Happens a few times a day:

rc.rlcdn.com/451689.html

I see a reply above that indicates that I must be going to some web site fairly frequently that has a link to the above URL or a ****** that I'm somehow executing is trying to take me there. So this would be a web site with malware...wonder how I can get the name of the page that has the link or ******? That would be really useful, much more useful than the name of the phishing page itself, so I could avoid it.

• lapka
    edited November 2016

22 minutes ago, MrDoh said:

wonder how I can get the name of the page that has the link or ******? That would be really useful, much more useful than the name of the phishing page itself, so I could avoid it.

And what a difference, if still the antivirus is blocking the source of a phishing or malware site?

• 19 minutes ago, lapka said:

And what a difference, if still the antivirus is blocking the source of a phishing or malware site?

I see your point. To answer that, I feel that I need to know what sites that I visit have malware, so I can avoid going there. If there's malware on a site, then malware may be added at some point that Bitdefender doesn't block yet. So I'd like to stay away from known sites that have malware. If malware is found by Bitdefender, but it doesn't tell me what site it found the URL or ****** on, then I can't do that.

Does that make sense to you?

Thanks!

• I don't see the point in that if not to go to the page where there are links or other elements to malicious sites. This antivirus is a good definition of such sites and a good definition of malware.

Much more useful to install a browser extension against ads (e.g. AdBlock Plus and the like).

It will cut off a large portion of all these elements.

• 28 minutes ago, lapka said:

I don't see the point in that if not to go to the page where there are links or other elements to malicious sites. This antivirus is a good definition of such sites and a good definition of malware.

Much more useful to install a browser extension against ads (e.g. AdBlock Plus and the like).

It will cut off a large portion of all these elements.

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't agree with you that the virus definitions of any AV product will have a complete list of virus/malware at any given moment. Malware is usually encountered before there's detection and removal algorithms available in AV products. Ever heard of zero-day malware? That's malware that's currently out there, but there's not yet protection against it. I really do appreciate Bitdefender's efforts to identify and counteract KNOWN malware. That's great, it's the new malware that isn't in the definitions yet that bothers me *smile*.

Anyways, sounds like the answer is that you don't provide the URL's of the site containing the malware that you've detected. My point is that would be a good thing for users, to be able to avoid sites that may have zero-day malware because they've had other malware.

By the way, I do have an ad blocker, but got the phishing Web Threats none the less *smile*. Good tip, though, thanks for mentioning that.

Thanks!

• Also getting heaps of messages from BD (Web Threat Blocked ... a.militated.xyz...)

There is no clear explanation of what to do or which of the hundreds of pages I have open is causing the problem. BD should either fix the problem or tell me what to do, NOT keep popping up notifications every ten minutes.