Internet access blocked by firewall

Just over a week ago I purchased and installed Bitdefender 2018. Afterwards my internet access would periodically disappear. I solved it by rebooting. I had to reboot up to 4 times a day. 

I contact support and was adviced to uninstall/reinstall. I made no sense to me since I had just installed Bitdefender. Also I found that if I turn the Bitdefender firewall off, my internet access is then OK. 

Today I uninstalled and reinstalled Bitdefender. It only took 15 minutes to block my internet access, so that was a big waste of my time. I have turned the firewall off in order to access the internet.

I have already reported this to support, and emailed them the diagnostic files they requested over a week ago. Obviously this issue is not a priority.

I have Windows 8.1 and use Chrome. But Outlook 2010 cannot access the internet either when Bitdefender blocks it. 

Comments

• FrostyBC455
    edited August 2017

Same problem for me also. After installing Bit Defender Total Security 2018 my internet stops working once in a while. When it stops, only Google and youtube site partially work. My main system is wired to the modem. The only way to fix it is to reboot the system... When i disable BD firewall there are no issues.

Also., everything else that i have wirelessly connected to the modem is working without any problems - Cell phones, 2 other PCs. In addition, the other devices don't have Bitdefender installed. Only my wired system has Bitdefender installed.

ps: W10 Pro x64 with latest updates. Latest Chrome/Edge.

• I started to have same issue with internet stop working and windows troubleshootet couldn't find problems, on both computer with bitdefender internet security. but it happens once every 5 days or so. also cant acces router when that happens. is it bitdefender?

• I would say that this IS BitDefender v2018.  For me, this happens after 36 hours of continuous system on time (meaning no restarts or reboots for 36 hours).  Other devices on my network have no problem connecting and staying connected to the same network including two Smart Phones, two other laptops running BD Total Security v2017 and a Linux OS laptop.  Only the system with BD Total Security 2018 has the issue. Version is 22.0.8.118 so updating to latest build (which did seem to help some on the VSSERV.exe issue) is already done. 

• I upgraded to 118 2 days ago, so far did not noticed problems. I did not know about that 36 hours. I restart computers more often than that, but I still had issue.

I will update this in a week or so if internet stays connected, or earlier if problems happen again. you can pm me if I forget to address this.

• Me too build 118 is working better, I used to be on the old build. Now my internet is fine. How can we see the latest build of Bitdefender, they don't show it anywhere on their website... This is really frustrating.

I used to be 7 year Kaspersky user and they show the build version of their software on their website. Bitdefender doesn't show the build version until you actually install the software. Why is this not included on the website ???? 

• To see Build number right click on Bitdefender tray icon and then left click on About. I read on this forum from some user that reinstalling Bitdefender from Programs and features (uninstall and then select reinstall) installs latest build 118 that is not yet available with regular Bitdefender update

• FrostyBC455
    edited August 2017

That's not the point... I can see my Bitdefender build, but how do I know it is the latest(newest) build ? They want you to contact support and waste time and support wages in order to find out that you have OLD(outdated) software build...

• Welcome to the club. There is another thread on this but no one from the BD cared to weigh in.

I got win 8.1 (BD v.118), the internet cuts off occassionally and I have to restart it to fix it. Tried everything from reinstalling app to allowing everything in firewall settings to unchecking port scans etc. nothing has worked.

I should have never upgraded from 2017 to 2018.

BD, CAN YOU PLEASE HELP US!!!! This is ridicilous!

• I'm here from my own thread (link below)

I had many issues, so went back to 2017. Not had any help from Bitdefender and I also find it disgusting that they are once again ignoring it's users, especially when we pay for their product. Version ending 118 was the last version I had. If you have this version, it's still broken. Bitdefender should have tested 2018 for a lot longer and in my opinion, it's their new threat/protected folders and ransomeware settings that are causing the problem.

You can go back to 2017 here:

Here are the official links to Bitdefender Total Security 2017 Offline Installers (from their own site):

1. http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/desktop/connect/cl/2017/all/bitdefender_ts_21_64b.exe (64 bit) OR

2. http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/desktop/connect/cl/2017/all/bitdefender_ts_21_32b.exe (32 Bit)

/index.php?/topic/76632-cannot-access-sites-and-more/&do=embed">

• so far I don't have problems, since I moved to 118. cant say that it was bitdefender issue for sure but I guess it was.

• Thanks Micr0ft. The links work but it needs the BD agent to install. I was suggested by the bd tech to uninstall 2018 but leave the agent there to install 2017.

• I am on build 118. Yesterday I was finally contacted by support. They said I should uninstall and reinstall the product. I have already done that. I was told this without their even enquiring as to what build I am running. BD strategy seems to be to waste users' time. I was also told to run CHKDSK and SFC /SCANNOW. I did both. Results are no errors, no integrity issues.

I have turned off the BD firewall. But BD turns it back on every day or two. Very annoying. BD thinks it knows better than me how I should have my computer settings. I can always tell when BD has done this because my access to the internet is then blocked.

BD if you can't fix your firewall, at least stop changing my settings to turn the firewall back on! Very rude and intrusive!

• It sure is hard to get any help from this company. Do any administrators read this forum, or are we all just supposed to help each other?