Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Total Security 2018 blocking printer

Formatted computer, Bitdefender is blocking printer again.  

Tried to follow the instructions for Bitdefender Total Security 2017 but it's not working as the interface has changed : https://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-add-a-network-exception-in-bitdefender-2017-(i-cannot-access-a-device-on-my-network)-1792.html

Comments

• I just had to fix this on my computer this morning. This rule assumes all traffic to/from the printer IP address can be trusted. I'm going to work to narrow this down, but this should work.

In Bitdefender select {B} icon, View Features, Firewall {settings/gear} icon, Add rule:

Settings tab:

Apply this rule to all applications: YES

Permission: ALLOW

Network Type: ANY NETWORK  (Home/Office would be more secure if that works)

Protocol: ANY (TCP might work and would be more secure if that works)

Direction: BOTH

Advanced tab:

Custom remote address: ON

IP: (enter the IP address of your printer e.g. 192.168.1.2)

Ports: (leave blank if you are not sure)

Click OK

• Thanks, I tried the settings above and it's still not working.  This has been a frustrating experience.  I am thinking to just uninstall and install ESET or something else instead.  Can anyone recommend something more user friendly like Emsisoft but not as expensive?  

• Odd - that rule allows all traffic to/from the printer ip address, and worked for me on a Brother laser printer.

Did you try rebooting your computer after creating the rule? It might be possible the print spooler or a printer specific application was hung from an earlier printing attempt before you created the rule.

Does printing work if you turn the firewall completely off? Did printing work before you installed Bitdefender?

I'm just a user, but these are the steps I would take to troubleshoot this.

• I did reboot my computer.  Turning firewall off initially gave an actual error message, rather than just not printing.  Does not print with firewall disabled either.

Printing did work before installing Bitdefender, also worked in Bitdefender 2017 after creating rule following instructions above. 

• In TS 2018, go to Main screen > Protection - View Features > Firewall Settings (the little gear in the bottom of the Firewall box) > Rules > Add Rule .   Select Apply this rule to all applications = Yes.  The click on Advanced > Custom Remote Address = Yes.  Enter the IP address for your printer there.  Leave the port number blank for now.  Click OK.  You may have to reboot your system after adding this rule but you should now be able to print directly to your Local Printer.

• I ended up switching to ESET and it no longer blocks my printer and AutoHotKey by default.  Pretty happy with it so far.