About to go bonkers - Cannot turn off scan SSL bd18

I cannot load any HTTPS websites with ie11 or foxfire.  I have had to unload BD 2018 to get here! Unloading BD has restored access.

However, I cannot find how to turn off scan SSL. Where has the switch gone?

ALso 2018 cannot find the painful Kuikdelivery.com viral infestation.

So I am stuck for a while.

Help appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Comments

• Hi...You will find the switch under Web Protection settings

• meditek
    edited December 2017

4 hours ago, ozziebear said:

Hi...You will find the switch under Web Protection settings

Thanks. I'll reload BD and try it.

I also seem to have a virus that BD missed that keeps changing my Firefox search to Yahoo though that may be connected to Kuikdelivery.com. BD support have gone a bit quiet on that.

David

Edit:- That solved the majority of my HTTPS problems but the strange thing is my wife's laptop (Lenovo G770 running same Win 7 x64) has BD 2018 with SSL scanning on and has no problems with HTTPS sites. One can quickly begin to feel very much alone with BD support.

• ozziebear
    ozziebear ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Hi...Glad you got some resolution to your HTTPS problem.  As for your browser problem, I think Kuikdelivery.com is a browser hijacker which probably came bundled together with some other software you downloaded. Try running the free edition of Malwarebytes. It may help you. If not you might have to remove it manually. Try sending support an email at   bitsy@bitdefender.com   and see what they have to say.

• Does the SSL work with any other browsers? What browser is your wife using?

• On 12/19/2017 at 2:33 AM, ozziebear said:

Does the SSL work with any other browsers? What browser is your wife using?

Firefox same as me.

• Thanks. Support are aware .

I spent hours editing the registry to eliminate Kuikdelivery.  There were about 30 instances of the thing. Also ran Malwarebytes which didn't find Kuik but found 10 others which BD had missed. Anyway the Kuik problem is now sorted...I think.

• Hi...Seems like you're slowly getting things sorted out. Malwarebytes recently purchased a program called   adwcleaner    which was created by a French company called  Xplode. It's really good at picking up unwanted crap that's hooked into your registry, browsers etc. Over the years its caught a lot of stuff for me that nothing else did. Its free and in my opinion certainly worth trying. I don't think Bitdefender was ever meant to deal with adware, PUPs  Etc. Anyway good luck and enjoy the holidays.

• 4 hours ago, ozziebear said:

Hi...Seems like you're slowly getting things sorted out. Malwarebytes recently purchased a program called   adwcleaner    which was created by a French company called  Xplode. It's really good at picking up unwanted crap that's hooked into your registry, browsers etc. Over the years its caught a lot of stuff for me that nothing else did. Its free and in my opinion certainly worth trying. I don't think Bitdefender was ever meant to deal with adware, PUPs  Etc. Anyway good luck and enjoy the holidays.

Oddly enough I used to use adwcleaner until I installed BD  a long time ago. Then, like an idiot, I considered my troubles were over as it would deal with everything like Dr Solomon's effort did in the 80's! Frankly, as a 78 year old that likes playing trainer assisted games I am finding modern AV programs a PITA in so far as you ask them to ignore something but they know better and zap the trainer in a dictatorial fashion. BD even deletes the exclusion. However, I enjoy a virus chase rather more than games.

• On 12/20/2017 at 7:42 PM, meditek said:

Oddly enough I used to use adwcleaner until I installed BD  a long time ago. Then, like an idiot, I considered my troubles were over as it would deal with everything like Dr Solomon's effort did in the 80's! Frankly, as a 78 year old that likes playing trainer assisted games I am finding modern AV programs a PITA in so far as you ask them to ignore something but they know better and zap the trainer in a dictatorial fashion. BD even deletes the exclusion. However, I enjoy a virus chase rather more than games.

Further to this post, as I can no longer Edit it, I have now removed Bitdefender from our computers. Why because, like most dictators, it was trying to control not only my system but my habits which happened not to agree with their view of the world. However hard I tried to cross their Berlin wall they'd shoot you down even if I had applied for a pass.

We are now using Webroot which is vastly more democratic with the occasional use of adwcleaner which has so far not found anything since we left BD.

Where are the BD headquarters situated?

I only post negative comment when I feel it is deserved.  No doubt BD will claim the changes were made in the interest of total security. My response to that is to re-program and do the same thing without the totalitarian attitude affecting the user.

Thank you

• On 15-2-2018 at 5:59 PM, meditek said:

I only post negative comment when I feel it is deserved.  No doubt BD will claim the changes were made in the interest of total security. My response to that is to re-program and do the same thing without the totalitarian attitude affecting the user.

Hear, hear, and I completely agree. I feel too that we as paying customers are used as involuntary beta testers. I recently switched from Norton to BD, but almost start regretting this decision.

• On 12/20/2017 at 6:05 AM, meditek said:

Thanks. Support are aware .

I spent hours editing the registry to eliminate Kuikdelivery.  There were about 30 instances of the thing. Also ran Malwarebytes which didn't find Kuik but found 10 others which BD had missed. Anyway the Kuik problem is now sorted...I think.

As far as the other 10, ozziebear had the answer, BD really doesn't worry about PUPs. They figure that type of software is under our decision making.

/index.php?/topic/51857-pupoptional-viruses-not-detected-by-bitdefender/&tab=comments&do=embed&comment=208257&embedComment=208257&embedDo=findComment#comment-208257" style="height:247px;max-width:502px;">

Probably a good idea to run MBAM free version once in awhile.

• Columbo it never ceases to amaze me how you can pull up a post from years ago. You either have a photographic memory or a secretary researching this stuff for you. Good one.

• lol...thanks, ozziebear :)  Being single, I do like the secretary doing research for me angle, though. I may need to check into that :)