BIS 2018 blocks access to network shares after last update.

Couple days ago I noticed BIS 2018 info to reboot my computer in order to complete update so I did (that update brought VPN feature to my BIS version). From then on every time I run my pc from hibernation stage or suspend stage I am unable to access my mapped network shares until I turn firewall off. I have already tried changing network adapter from Dynamic to Home/Office and Stealth to off - no go.

I also removed BIS 2018 with UninstallTool and installed it back but this did not make any difference. Whenever I try access my share I get info (windows explorer) from Microsoft Windows Network that " The local device name is already in use" and turning firewall off is the only solution I found. I did not find any related errors in system events. Microsoft updates were not installed on my pc during last 2 weeks.

My PC runs Windows 10 Home 1709 16299.192 and BIS 2018 22.0.18.222 (Home use).

Tagged:

Comments

• Same issue as described above only I'm running Windows 10 Pro. Not able to access any shares now and it seems like local hostname resolution in general no longer works.

• Hi, 

As a workaround you can set a rule that applies for all applications (or just explorer.exe from C:\Windows) and with the IP address of the network resource in the Custom Remote address field.

For detailed steps, please read our support article:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2128/

• This workaround (with explorer.exe)works fine so far. Have to test it a bit longer.

• On 1/28/2018 at 11:18 PM, Sergiu C. said:

Hi, 

As a workaround you can set a rule that applies for all applications (or just explorer.exe from C:\Windows) and with the IP address of the network resource in the Custom Remote address field.

Hi Sergiu,

Thanks a lot. This workaround with a specific rule created for explorer.exe seems to work, but only if going by IP address (not by domain name).

Before I start modifying all my NAS backup profiles (there are quite some ...) would you have any other trick allowing full use of DNS ?

And when do you think that this bug in build 22.0.18.224 will be corrected ?

• Sergiu C.
    Sergiu C.
    edited February 2018

On 2/1/2018 at 8:55 PM, jfg95 said:

Hi Sergiu,

Thanks a lot. This workaround with a specific rule created for explorer.exe seems to work, but only if going by IP address (not by domain name).

Before I start modifying all my NAS backup profiles (there are quite some ...) would you have any other trick allowing full use of DNS ?

And when do you think that this bug in build 22.0.18.224 will be corrected ?

Hello, 

Have you tried setting the network adapter in home/office mode and the stealth mode to off? You can try turning the stealth mode on and off (leave it to off), then restart the computer, and check if you have access without adding other rules using the IPs.

You can read this article to find steps on how to modify the settings I mention above:
    https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2397/

• platinum
    edited February 2018

Hello everyone, i have exactly the same issue !

On 28/01/2018 at 10:18 PM, Sergiu C. said:

Hi, 

On 29/01/2018 at 2:31 PM, TiedCone said:

This workaround (with explorer.exe)works fine so far. Have to test it a bit longer.

Could you be more specific please ? What's the network ressource ? It's my computer or the device local adress that i'm trying to acess ?

I made this rule but it didn't work:

bit_menu.jpg.1df00ea41f44803a16a7008a5980059b.jpg

bit_1.jpg.3a117df2315fb259bdb9b87647e1390c.jpgbit_2.jpg.ee41878852709fd08e0894d54f312f6f.jpg

am i doing something wrong?

• I am having a similar problem with a slight twist. I have already talked to support but they are unaware how to solve it at the moment. My network BLOCK occurs when I activate my VPN, Nord. After that my server and shares etc. are all blocked until I deactivate it. Very strange. I would appreciate a detailed version of the workaround as well. Setting it up for all applications did nothing.

• On 2/3/2018 at 1:05 AM, Sergiu C. said:

Hello, 

Have you tried setting the network adapter in home/office mode and the stealth mode to off? You can try turning the stealth mode on and off (leave it to off), then restart the computer, and check if you have access without adding other rules using the IPs.

You can read this article to find steps on how to modify the settings I mention above:
    https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/8908/

Hi Sergiu,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I tried switching stealth mode off, and it does solve the problem i.e. enables to access my NAS using UNC path. Note that a reboot is mandatory (you should I think update the text of you KB 8908 answer since it is not mentioned there). I've seen in the thread initiated by DWK on the same subject that it work for others too.

However, I do not share their enthusiasm. Switching stealth mode off would mean waiving one of the protection shields on my computer, and I shouldn't have to do this.

Hence, so far, I have taken the burden to modify all my backup profiles to refer to my NAS by IP address instead of UNC name. That works, with the manually added rule to allow all traffic from explorer.exe to this specific IP address. But, frankly, between this task and the search for clues and solutions, this was significant time wasted for me.

This is not what should happen. Using UNC for accessing NAS on my LAN through BitDefender TS had worked for years, until Jan 30th and this 22.0.18.224 build was released. When will this bug be corrected ?

• This is the 3rd time this has happened in the last few years. Looks like I'll have to toggle off the firewall again while I use the network drive till this is fixed. I am already running with the advanced threat defense permanently off due to other issues with this product.

• Given solution I treat as workaround only and also waiting for proper fix of described issue.

• The workaround seems not to work for me. Please fix this as soon as possible, this is not what I pay for.

• Hi Sergiu,

Haven't got your answer on my question posted Feb 5th ... when will that bug on build 22.0.18.224 be corrected ?

Please also note that the link to the KB8908 which you gave for reference now points on a 404 "page not found" error.

On 2/5/2018 at 11:31 AM, jfg95 said:

Hi Sergiu,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I tried switching stealth mode off, and it does solve the problem i.e. enables to access my NAS using UNC path. Note that a reboot is mandatory (you should I think update the text of you KB 8908 answer since it is not mentioned there). I've seen in the thread initiated by DWK on the same subject that it work for others too.

However, I do not share their enthusiasm. Switching stealth mode off would mean waiving one of the protection shields on my computer, and I shouldn't have to do this.

Hence, so far, I have taken the burden to modify all my backup profiles to refer to my NAS by IP address instead of UNC name. That works, with the manually added rule to allow all traffic from explorer.exe to this specific IP address. But, frankly, between this task and the search for clues and solutions, this was significant time wasted for me.

This is not what should happen. Using UNC for accessing NAS on my LAN through BitDefender TS had worked for years, until Jan 30th and this 22.0.18.224 build was released. When will this bug be corrected ?

• Hi, 

It seems the KB was moved. Replaced the link with a working one. 

/index.php?/profile/9407-jfg95/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9407" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9407-jfg95/" rel="">@jfg95 Please send us an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com and attach a support tool log to your email. Please also enable the option to reproduce the issue when creating the log as described here: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/8919/ Thanks!

• I gave up and uninstalled BitDefender TS2018 on my laptop in favour of the free version plus Windows Firewall.  For some reason, when I had disabled the BD firewall, Windows Security Center still constantly alerted me to the need to fix my firewall settings and included a link to BD Firewall Settings. Not sure why. On my desktop, I disabled the firewall component and used Windows firewall instead. 

• Given workaround does not work anymore after last Win 10 (1803 17134.48) update when computer is waken up from hibernate or sleep state !!! I am fed up with switching firewall on and off. Explorer.exe rule is still on. Fix it please. My BIS version now is 22.0.21.297.

• Hi, 

Can you try to delete and recreate the rule? Also, can you reach the network device through IP rather than hostname?