Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

BD Free does not recognize my wireless Canon printer

Options

I've been using DB Free for at least a year.  About a week ago, I discovered that I couldn't print on my wireless Canon printer (model PIXMA TS6020).  Prior to this I had NO problems with my wireless printer.  The Canon tech rep discovered that it was my AV program.  I have removed and reinstalled BD Free at least 4 times with the same results.  I have searched the internet for advice on how to create an "exception" (exclusion) for a wireless device and it appears that the paid versions of BD do have a method for creating an exception for a specific wireless device.  The BD Free version ONLY has the ability to create and exclusion for a URL not (e.g.) an IP address for a wireless printer.    I have switched to AVAST and that has no such issues.  The creation of an exception was not required.  AVAST recognized the printer immediately -- and not as a potential threat.

I'm guessing that a recent update of the BD Free program created this performance issue -- without providing a method to fix it. 

As BD Free WAS a great freeware AV, I hate to switch to AVAST, but Bitdefender has not (yet) provided me with a fix.

Louis

Comments

• BeFree
    BeFree
    edited February 2018
    Options

Don't worry, they won't provide you with a fix, if you contact them they will probably tell you to buy their paid product.

• BeFree
    BeFree
    edited February 2018
    Options

This might sound stupid but have you tried typing the IP address of your printer in the url exclusion?

Wow now that I have typed it out, it sounds really stupid, but it’s still worth a try.

• That sounds like a good idea.  It was the first thing I tried.  Unfortunately, it didn't work.  Note in my comments on 1 Jan (above), that I stated that "ONLY has the ability to create and exclusion for a URL not (e.g.) an IP address for a wireless printer."  Subsequently, I communicated directly with a BD tech rep and he confirmed that, currently, DB Fee does not have the option to create an exclusion for a printer.  He said that he was passing the issue up the chain of command. 

While AVAST free AV does have occasional popup ads promoting its paid version, I find the nuisance minimal and tolerable.  AVAST Free seems to be working very well.  I supplement AVAST with Malwarebytes Premium -- they play well together.  I use other on-demand scans to confirm that I have a clean machine (e.g., Superantispyware).  I do use Privacy Eraser, which I've found to be more thorough than Ccleaner.

IF BD Free does improve its exception feature, I will return -- but not before.

Louis