Bug or Issue: Bitdefender shows "Failed to activate protection. Please retry." error

I have Bitdefender on two Win 7 x64 machines. Here is the problem I am having:

On the first machine, I opened Bitdefender to run a system scan and noticed that it said "Your device is at risk";. When I try to correct it, I get an error "Failed to activate protection. Please retry".

I also tried to turn on the Protection Shield under the Protection section of the program but got the same error. I tried rebooting and that also did not fix it.

I then decided to check my other Win 7 x 64 machine. It looked fine (the Bitdefender tray icon didn't have the "x" in the corner indicating an error). However, when I launched the program from the tray, it also said "Your device is at risk" and then gave me the same error when I tried to turn on protection. It now also has the "x" in the corner of the tray icon. When the machine is booted up again, the Bitdefender try icon is fine but as soon as you launch the program, puts the x back in the tray icon and incidates Your device is at risk.

Bitdefender shows that it successfully updated in the event log (see also the attached screen shot which indicates it is still successfully updating).

I doubt that this is an install issue as it has occurred on two, separate machines.

Does Bitdefender no longer support Win 7?

Is it a bug and I do have active protection?

Is there something I can do to fix this issue?

Comments

• Does anyone have any ideas on this?

I would really like to keep Bitdefender but I'm worried that I don't have active shield/protection based on the error I'm getting. If it can't be fixed, I guess I'll have to switch to another antivirus program. If I do have to remove or reinstall:

- Is there an uninstall tool for the free edition, where can I find it (I've only found an uninstall tool for the paid/trial consumer versions...maybe it works for the free version as well)?

- If a reinstall might work is there an offline installer available for the free version? The online installer was kind of a pain the first time as my internet cut out and had to start the download all over again.

Thanks!

• Got a fix (sort of). I posted to the forum but ended up asking RedsFan on this forum post: Uninstalling Bit Defender Antivirus Free in Windows 7 Home Premium. I used the uninstall tool RedsFan suggested and reinstalled. It works now (after testing for a day). I'm not sure what caused the original issue and hopefully it won't return.