Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Can't Open Control Panel Normally

Options

Last night I installed BitDefender 2008 AV. The control panel will not open normally. The icon appears in my system tray, but double-clicking or right-clicking it does nothing. I was able to locate seccenter.exe, and opened the control panel that way. When I do that, it won’t let me change the settings.

For example, I want to see the Scan Activity bar. The check box is not checked, and will not let me check it. In fact, none of the check boxes are checked, including “Real-time protection is enabled”. However, it must be working, because I’m getting no alerts saying I’m unprotected.

Why won’t the control panel open normally? Why can’t I change any settings? Should I be asking Support these questions?

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Hello Canceler,

Did you used a previous BitDefender version? If so did you delete it and rebooted your pc afterwards?

What was your previous antivirus? Did you remove it completely? If not check this topic.

Why won’t the control panel open normally? Why can’t I change any settings?

From what behaviour you describe the installation didn't went properly.

Are you using other security software? Such as spybot search&destroy teatimer or any other security software that monitors registry changes.etc Please temporary disable the realtime protection during the installation procedure.

The best thing is removing BitDefender completely to do that first download this uninstall tool. You will be asked to reboot your pc do so. After that reboot run the uninstall tool one more time reboot again. Install BitDefender again.

Best regards,

Niels

• Niels, thank you for your help! I followed your instructions exactly, and everything seems to be working properly now.

Did you used a previous BitDefender version? If so did you delete it and rebooted your pc afterwards?

I had uninstalled my BDAV v10 using Vista (not the uninstall tool), but did not reboot before installing the BDAV 2008. Maybe that is what caused the problem.

• Niels
    Options

Hello Canceler,

That could be indeed the cause. Normally it should work installing BitDefender 11 (2008 product line) over BitDefender 10. But to avoid any problems it's better always removing the previous BitDefender version and reboot your pc.

You are welcome.

Best regards,

Niels