Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

What's the oldest device that you are still using and why?

Options
Alexandru_BD
Alexandru_BD admin
edited July 2022 in General Topics

Computers, calculators, phones, cameras, watches, home appliances, they are all part of our lives and we interact with them either casually, for entertainment or by necessity. In the technological era nowadays, new versions of the devices we use are being developed at a very fast pace, with multiple variations and options to choose from, covering almost all niches and personal needs.

But here's the thing: sometimes we may get attached to objects and this happens especially when they are easy to use, beautiful to look at and simply do the job for which they were desiged, without too much hassle. We want our devices to be sharp and purposeful. During the lifetime of the devices we use, they collect stories that later transform into memories and we often think of them as part of ourselves, as the choices we make define who we are. I always say that patina looks cool on pretty much anything. And while some people try to restore items to their original condition, to get that fresh or modern look, I think this takes away some of the magic a device that stood the test of time has to offer.

It's funny how all the things depicted below now fit in our pockets, in a single device, 30 years later.

Old and battered devices are still among us and some of them are remarkably still being used today. Pick-up turntables are becoming popular again, for music fans that love that vintage feel of a record in their hands and the clarity. Iconic computer games are brought into the spotlight once more and old consoles are very sought after. Classic cameras have also returned and they give the user that unique mechanical sensation when taking pictures.

So what's the oldest and most technologically obsolete device that you are still using today, and for what reason? Let us know in the comments below.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited June 2022
    Options

I still have many of my childhood devices retained with me

1) Videotape which featured cartoon movies that I used to watch on my video cassette player.

2) I have collection of Cassette tape which I used to buy as soon as a new bollywood movie used to be released (being from INDIA) to listen to music on battery operated portable cassette player

3) I have this gramophone on which my parents used to listen to music. Imagining how the gramophone used to play music through the music stored on gramophone disk.

4) Last but not least, the old but still functional device that I use as of now is the Nokia 5233 which was my first touchscreen smartphone featuring nokia symbian s60v5 OS. Though symbian is now out of date OS.

Also the Nokia 3310 (the old one), I still play the snake game on it, lol. Well, almost everyone would have loved playing the snake game on nokia 3310.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• SuperPredator
    Options

Interesting topic bro , I'm from your neighbor country Sri Lanka

Similar story, still have non Android & I think one of the people to have genuine devices ever

My Grade 1 phone that Dad used back while he was working a - NOKIA 1100 (Made in Finland)

My last Windows Mobile device , only one in Sri Lanka that still works as far as I've seen - Microsoft Lumia 950 XL

Of course Cassettes,1 VHS , many CDs , many DVDs and My Gaming Rig still have a DVD-RW ROM in 2022 and now I'm watching a movie just like good ol days

I know the cutting edge everything, still I'm not much of a privilege to live with them not in here

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Ok now it's my turn. As I'm passionate about vintage devices that have a story to tell, I do have a couple of artefacts that belong in a museum.

I'm still using a 1980 Philips AF-729 Mark II full-automatic turntable and currently looking to refurbish a 1979 Kodak Colorburst 300 Instant Camera. I hope it's still working, as it has been collecting dust for a while. Pics for attention:

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user