Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Stop it with the notifications

Options
auto121
edited August 2022 in General Topics

Like seriously, what kind of big brain thought it was a good idea to bombard the user with intrusive popups that cant be turned off?

I dont need to see that you blocked a popup. What I do need is to work without a useless notification blocking me from using my own keyboard. What to you want me to do with that information anyway? Give you a cookie and say youre a good boy for doing your job?

I started using bitdefender because it was number 1 on several lists of "best antivirus" but when my subscription ends in about a week im gonna download the second best instead.

The amount of retarded companies out there is astounding.

Comments

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options

Hello.

Open your Bitdefender program and go to:

1. Settings -> General and disable "Special offers" and "Recommendation notifications"

2. Protection -> Antivirus -> Settings -> Scan flash drives and select "Autoscan" or "Disabled", do not select "Ask every time" (for the "USB Immunizer Recommendation" notification)

3. Privacy -> Safepay -> Settings and disable "Safepay notifications"

4. Privacy -> Video & Audio Protection -> Settings and disable "Notify when allowed applications connect to the webcam", "Notify when an application tries to access the microphone" and "Notify when browsers access the microphone"

5. Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings and disable "Activate profiles automatically" (for the Profile notification)

After doing that, in the future no pop-up notifications will be displayed in the lower right corner of your screen.

Also, under Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings, when "Work Profile" or "Game Profile" is enabled/activated, all Bitdefender alerts and pop-ups are disabled.

Finally, as for the Bitdefender VPN pop-ups, you can simply uninstall Bitdefender VPN from your device by following the steps provided here (just select "Bitdefender VPN"):

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2791/

or

open the Bitdefender VPN program, go to Settings -> Notifications and disable "Allow notifications".

REMEMBER: When a threat is detected, a pop-up notification will be displayed in the lower right corner of your screen and you can't disable those pop-up notifications.

Regards.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @auto121 and welcome to the Community!

To begin with, please use decent language. If we can agree on this, we can contine the conversation in a polite and pleasant manner, as expected. We'll do our best to help here, but please show some respect to this community and its members.

I have now edited your post to a decent form. Kindly refrain from using impolite language, as this may result in your account being banned.

In regards to the notifications, please share more details with us, what is the specific message displayed in the notification, at what point does it occur and what is the frecquency of the notification. Screenshots would be very helpful, if possible.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Andyh3930
    Options

Would you please please please would be ever so kind and help me out in resolving the latest issue relating to the pop-up for the Password Manager I am seeing in the wonderous product that is Bitdefender Total Security? I have implemented all @Gjoksi extremely helpful tips regarding popups and I'm extremely sorry to report they do not work. I am unfortunately still seeing these popups. I humbly request a working solution to this vexing issue.

Thanking you for your gracious assistance in advance.

I hope this meets the politeness requirements for this forum.

• Gjoksi
    Options
  • Andyh3930
    Options

I thought the first reply was in an incorrect forum and to ensure I was as helpful as possible to the fantastic people on this site thought I would comment on another, more appropriate sub-forum, where I learnt one must be very polite when receiving a poor service for a product and I have paid a lot of money for.

So be clear as I have this product on 4 PCs I will be expected to click on this less than helpful popup 12 times, even though I clicked to disable the recommendation. That is useful information to receive.

May I make a modest request for an update from @Alexandru_BD once he has received a reply from Bitdefender's software 'engineers'

Thank you for your laconic reply.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi @Andyh3930,

I will update you on the progress. What does it happen exactly when you click on "x" to dismiss the notification? Does it go away and pop up again afterwards? Is the button responsive as expected? What is the display interval? How many times have you dismissed the notification on a single device so far?

This information would prove very useful.

Thank you!

• Andyh3930
    Options

When I click on x the pop-up disappears. I will try to note when these occur.

It has just occurred again on one of my PCs 2022-08-16 20:10 BST I will update your went it occurs again

May I suggest implementing logging so that I can just send you a log and your company can do the work.

I checked the Event Log and there are no Bitdefender entries that I can see.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @Andyh3930,

Thank you for the information. We are looking into it, as the notification should dissapear if dismissed.

Regards

• Lasselasse
    Options

If I pay subscription, do not deliver ads by default.

And the useless annoying notification I got moments ago stuns me:

"Work Profile

We always have your back while working. The performance of your device was automatically optimized while using outlook.exe"

There's no problem with notifications not disappearing when dismissed.

There's a serious problem with useless notifications spammed by default.

• Gjoksi
    Options

@Lasselasse

Hello.

1. Settings -> General and disable "Special offers" and "Recommendation notifications"

2. Protection -> Antivirus -> Settings -> Scan flash drives and select "Autoscan" or "Disabled", do not select "Ask every time" (for the "USB Immunizer Recommendation" notification)

4. Privacy -> Video & Audio Protection -> Settings and disable "Notify when allowed applications connect to the webcam", "Notify when an application tries to access the microphone" and "Notify when browsers access the microphone"

5. Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings and disable "Activate profiles automatically" (for the Profile notification)

After doing that, in the future no pop-up notifications will be displayed in the lower right corner of your screen.

REMEMBER: When a threat is detected, a pop-up notification will be displayed in the lower right corner of your screen and you can't disable those pop-up notifications.

Next, as an option to fully disable the Bitdefender alerts and pop-ups, open your Bitdefender program, go to Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings and enable/activate "Work Profile" or "Game Profile".

When "Work Profile" or "Game Profile" is enabled/activated, all Bitdefender alerts and pop-ups are disabled.

Finally, as for the Bitdefender VPN pop-ups, you can simply uninstall Bitdefender VPN from your device by following the steps provided here (just select "Bitdefender VPN"):

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2791/

or

open the Bitdefender VPN program, go to Settings -> Notifications and disable "Allow notifications".

Regards.

• Lasselasse
    Options

Hello Gjoksi, I saw your original helpful post about settings.

My post however, was intended as a feedback post to Bitdefender on the notification policy as a whole - not a support request.

But since you mention it, I have a question about this advise:

5. Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings and disable "Activate profiles automatically" (for the Profile notification)

After doing that, in the future no pop-up notifications will be displayed in the lower right corner of your screen."

This de-activates the automatic profile feature - which I don't want to deactivate. I only want to deactivate the notification about it.

How would we feel if our cars loudly stated "I have successfully managed to change gear from 1 to 2"...

• Andyh3930
    Options

The Password Manager has just popped up again 2022-08-20 16:23 BST

• Lasselasse
    Options

@Andy, and I got it too, despite that sh*t being turned off in the config.

@Alexandru: I'll be very frank: is this a cultural thing, that Bitdefender thinks this is a reasonable policy? Because where I live, it's a no-no.

For Gods sake, I'm paying a sub for this. OF COURSE there should be no ads, and absolutely not by default anyway.

And to have ads for your paying customers that's not possible to turn off?

I can tell you this: if you maintain that policy, it's not going to end well - you have competitors and it's very easy to choose an alternative with less strange and shady policy.

I' mean. I've only been a customer for a few days, and I already hate the product. So unnecessary.

I'm ready to give you some more time to resolve this - even though you've had plenty of time when I read other threads on the topic.

Thanks and good luck with improving your company.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @Lasselasse,

I appreciate that you are sharing your thoughts here with us. A fix has been deployed by the developers via an automated updated and the Password Manager notification can now be disabled completely by toggling off the 'recommendation notifications' switch.

Go to Settings -> General and disable "Recommendation notifications".

Thank you everyone for your patience and understanding throughout the resolution process.

Cheers

• I get the frustration

I get microphone alerts that drive me nuts on a windows 11 device with an Alexa app.

I always click on notification details that take me to a window where I'm supposed to be able to choose not to alert me for a particular application but no matter what I select, two things come back:

1. Amazon Alexa
    2. Host Process for Windows Services

I also will not be renewing my subscription simply because there seems to be no control over this - It's either on and I assume I'm being protected with some seriously intrusive popups or, it's off. There is no functional/working trusted apps list to shut bitdefender up.

• Gjoksi
    Options

@gravitonfish

Hello.

1. Settings -> General and disable "Special offers" and "Recommendation notifications" (for the "Password Manager" notification)

Next, as an option to fully disable the Bitdefender alerts and pop-ups, open your Bitdefender program, go to Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings and enable/activate "Work Profile" or "Game Profile".

When "Work Profile" or "Game Profile" is enabled/activated, all Bitdefender alerts and pop-ups are disabled.

or

Regards.

• SimeonN
    Options

Thanks for this point by point… I went through your list and found most of it was already turned off, and I had already established a Work profile. The Work profile did not stop all the popup notifications in lower right hand corner about blocking this or that though, not sure why. It did stop the annoying quick scan running notifications, at least I've not seen one since implementing the Work profile a few days ago. However, I am not finding a way to check and make sure it's actually doing the automated daily quick system scans that were associated with those notifications. When I click into the quick scans section it just launches a new quick scan and does not provide a history log. Is there a way to check?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@SimeonN ,

Welcome to the Bitdefender Forums. You can check by clicking the "Notifications" button on the lower left side of the main GUI. On my computer, they go back ten days. When a Quick Scan was run , there should be a notification of that fact.

I hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

• SimeonN
    Options

Hi Phil, thanks for the quick and helpful response. No scans showing there, but the whole notification list only goes back 2 days to the 25th. I also don't see any options for setting how far back that notification list goes. I think it may have been on the 25th when I created my Work profile, maybe that cleared everything old? I guess time will tell!

Regards,
    Simeon

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@SimeonN ,

I have automatic profiles disabled. You may be right. I did some more digging. Apparently, the Work Profile postpones scheduled scans when active.

It is possible that switching profiles might have cleared your notification history. I have never used it, so I can't enlighten you. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable, like our Forum Administrator, @Alexandru_BD , will join this topic.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

• SimeonN
    SimeonN Mr
    edited April 29
    Options

It's clear at this point that the quick scans have indeed been disabled by having a Work Profile active. Hard to understand why they don't offer an option to have scans run in the background with perhaps a badge on the system tray icon indicating it has run a quick scan, or something like that.

Thanks again for your assistance and further information.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@SimeonN ,

Thank you for posting back. The entire point of the Work profile is to minimize BD activities and notifications so as not to interfere when the profile is active.

Personally, I want full protection at all times, which is why I decided to turn off Automatic Profiles. It is a user choice.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

• SimeonN
    Options

Seems to be a lot of information online that indicates Windows Defender is just as good these days, perhaps without all the bells and whistles, but for basic malware and virus protection. Do you have any thoughts on that to offer?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@SimeonN ,

I do, indeed. I have been using and recommending Bitdefender for over ten years now.

Windows Defender is adequate. Bitdefender scored Number 1 for 2023, the last full year of testing, as you can see from the independent and well-respected AV-Comparatives Lab. Windows Defender was an "also ran."

I consider my data and programs to be very important. I want them protected by the best possible security solution. Bitdefender is constantly a top performer in credible independent tests and has been for years.

It is your computer, so YOU decide how much risk you are willing to assume. For me, the answer is the least possible risk of a successful malware attack.

I also have a very robust backup strategy, which I consider to be even more important than the choice of security solution. No one product can protect against every malware variant, with new ones being released daily. If your computer is compromised, recovery is possible and easy if you have recent backups and a recovery boot disk for your chosen backup program.

After extensive malware removal training, I disinfected computers that were attacked, and then I was promoted to Instructor. I am also active on the Bitdefender and other security Forums.

Above all, please stay safe in cyberspace, whatever you decide. It is a dangerous place.

Have a great day.

Regards,
    Phil

• SimeonN
    Options

Thanks for taking the time to share all of that, the link is also extremely helpful, I hadn't come across that one. Appears Kaspersky is their Product of the Year for 2023, may look into them again, used to have them then dropped them but I don't recall why.

FYI… I have never run with just Windows Defender, have never trusted it enough. But in searching for what was currently available and how it rated I came across an awful lot of people in places like reddit saying it had improved a great deal, and yes, their comments were that it was 'adequate' which is not necessarily enough for me either. You seemed really knowledgeable and willing to engage so I sought your opinion, glad I did!

Over the years I have run McAfee, Kaspersky, Norton, Malware Bytes and Bitdefender. I chose Bitdefender about 2 years ago because of it's ratings and because it was lightweight and didn't bog the machine down by hogging resources, which both McAfee and Norton did back in the days when I was using those. Both of them also got rather invasive.

RE backups, yes, I agree… I have been backing up regularly since the mid 90's, and back then we had to use a tape drive so it was quite slow! Having backups has saved my butt several times though, usually from failed hard drives, but once when McAfee let me down and I got infected so badly that my new HP laptop was nearly trashed. I was lucky to find a really knowledgeable guy at a computer shop on Kauai where I lived at the time who spent two weeks working on rebuilding the drive and system with specialized software he had running round the clock, and finally he got it working normally again. Cost me about a third the cost of replacing the computer for his help, but given the system was only a month old that was a good deal.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@SimeonN ,

Thank you for posting back. The choice of security product is yours to make. I am pleased that my information and opinion were appreciated. You should really check the AV-Comparatives Lab test results for the last five years. You will see that Bitdefender consistently ranks very highly. Several products, Bitdefender included, jockey for the very top position every year. No one security app among the highest-ranking products manages to secure the top spot every year. The differences between the top contenders are not all that significant from year to year.

In any event, choose the product that suits you. Above all, stay safe in cyberspace. And yes, I am really pleased that you have a robust backup strategy. 👍

Have a great day.

Regards,
    Phil