Constantly high CPU usage by Bitdefender Virus Shield after a recent update (requiring device restar

I realized there is a thing called Bitdefender Virus Shield consuming 10% or more constantly (never stops since boot, tried rebooting) after the recent update.

I know it is the cause, as I just also tried to reinstall the software. The issue was initally gone right after the reinstallation. However, later it askes for the update followed by a restart, the problem resurfaced.

It keeps my CPU at 57 degrees. Another nice job after all that ads. I didn't pay to keep my machine slow.

Comments

• Welcome to the update-blues club. Others are chiming in in 2 other threads.

• Hello,

As we have indeed received several reports in the community concerning this, kindly contact our Technical Teams for further assistance, as more details are required from the devices in order to address this issue.

You can get in touch with our engineers by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited September 2022

@sandbo

If after you contact support and send in the log file (that's up to you), you could uninstall BD, re-download it from Central and install it. Right after you install it, before it updates, go into Settings/Update and disable Silent Update. When BD updates, it will prompt you to install the product updates and threat information updates. Uncheck the product update and it will not install version 26.0.25.84. As of now, from the Central download, it's on 26.0.23.80. I'm not sure when that's going to change, though. Be sure and adjust the update frequency to a longer interval, like 3-4 hours so you're not prompted to download the program update so frequently until they come up with the patch. At least that's what I'm going to do, as I'm going through the same thing as others here.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Thanks for the work-around, I think this is perfect for now. I will follow this later.

• Scott
    edited September 2022

I had tried disabling the new features included with the new build in AV/Advanced/ settings, did a restart, but it didn't resolve the issue. I thought it was worth a try :)

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• I have the same problem. 10% CPU forever on v26.0.25.84. I switched to BitDefender years ago because of its low power usage; this is disappointing.

• sxs9001
    sxs9001
    edited September 2022

After 2 days of messing, uninstalling, reinstalling, providing logs & dump files to BD Engr Support so they can troubleshoot, your simple suggestion seems to have worked!! After reinstalling it, I blocked wifi access to the PC, pulled ethernet cable, unchecked Silent Update, reconnected ethernet, and - got the dialog box to un-select the feature update. Updated just the virus definitions and viola. Program stayed at 26.0.23.80 and CPU usage normal.

Thank you for this very helpful workaround!

One has to wonder why Bitdefender's customer & engineering support didn't suggest that to me in the email exchanges & HERE for the benefit of all.

If they had done that, I wouldn't have wasted nearly 2 days and while posters contact tech support and done the technical steps to give them the requested dump files, performance and program logs, then afterwards give everyone this workaround to again have a normal PC experience while they work on the issue, test and eventually patch it. Seems to be a logical customer focused thing to do!

• Scott
    edited September 2022

@sxs9001

Thank you for providing support with the log files, as that will help with a future resolution.

They may not have offered my temporary workaround in that they may not have considered it, or, in needing log files from multiple members to find a more permanent solution.

I like your bulletproof idea after the reinstall of totally disconnecting from the internet to enable the update settings before BD could update :)

• The latest update, 26.0.25.86, fixes the problem for me.