Is My PC Infected Or Not?

Dear Sir/Madam,

I cannot submit a support ticket because when I press the relevant button it shows three dots for several minutes but nothing more. I clear the browser cache, even used ccleaner but to no avail. Therefore I am posting here insted.

I received the following notification:

Infected file detected 38 minutes ago

Feature: Antivirus

The file C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\RTCore64.sys is infected with Gen:Suspicious.Cloud.2.auX@a8WMB6e and was moved to quarantine. It is recommended that you run a System Scan to make sure your system is clean.

The file was automaticaly moved to quarantine. I performed a full scan afterwards and the result was that my pc was clean. Please advice whether my PC (windows 10) is infected or not.

Yours faithfully,

Dimitris Koukoulis

Best Answers

Answers

• Hello @Dimitris Koukoulis,

When Bitdefender finds an infection on your computer, it usually takes automatic action against it and gets rid of the malware without requiring any input on your side. If after the system scan Bitdefender concludes that the device is clean, no further action is required. As soon as the system scan is over, Bitdefender will take automatic action for the detected malware. If automatic action cannot be taken, you will be prompted to select a desired action for the infected file: Disinfect, Delete, Move to quarantine.

If the selected action can’t be taken either, you’ll have to remove the infection manually and you can find out more information regarding this process by accessing the below article:

Please note that we are unable to process the logs you have submitted on the public forum. The Support engineers can provide further assistance on the matter, as they have the proper tools to achieve this. Should you still require to get in touch with them, you can use the chat contact channel and a representative will open a case on your behalf, where you may attach the bdsyslog afterwards.

I hope the information is helpful.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Dear Mr Flexx and Mr Alexandru,

Thank you for your reply. I have already opened a ticket (number is 1008228213) to support. I will send the relevant files to the email above.

Best regards,

Dimitris Koukoulis

• I have received the same warning regarding MSI Afterburner.

I downloaded the software directly from the MSI website:

https://it.msi.com/Landing/afterburner/graphics-cards

It seems unlikely that the software would be infected. Is this a false positive?

What exactly is the threat that has been detected?

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Can you share the virustotal link of the sample and the image of the detection bitdefender is showing on the dashboard or while you are installing the software.

Additionally, If you think the website/ file is incorrectly blocked by bitdefender you can share the same with malware researchers by filling up the forum in below stated link

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/29358/

If website/ file is indeed incorrectly blocked, detection will be removed in maximum of 72 hours and if the detection still remains after 72 hours, consider the website/ file as malicious by malware researchers and the detection will stay.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Hello @chatmandu,

If you believe the software has been incorrectly detected by Bitdefender and this would indicate a false positive, you may submit your findings to our Labs using the form available at the link below:

Once confirmed, false alarms are corrected within hours.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Hello, I am commenting as I have also received this finding from BitDefender -- I notice that it has been some days since this post and it still flags it as a virus: I imagine this suggests that it was not a false positive, after all?

If so, I would appreciate being updated on the type of malware this is as I incidentally deleted it before I could run a scan. I am unsure the capabilities of it and would feel more comfortable if I could figure it out.

Thank you.