Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

New Bd 2008 Install, Cd Vs Download.

Options

Here's the scenario. New install of BD 2008. Connection is a 56KB dial-up getting between 42KB & 46KB on a good day. I have an install CD but with all the updating that occurs during the install process which would be faster, download everything from scratch or start with the CD and wait on all the updates? If I download everything from scratch will the install CD Registration Key work OK? This particular key is for a 3 user 2 year license and has been used 1 time. What's a good guess on how long this install will take given the probable connection speeds? Maybe I should just plan on watching a movie during the install.

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Your modem doesn't have a constant speed.

We ca't tell that it will take 1 minute or one hour.

The key will still work ;)

• alexcrist
    Options

Hello BHelms,

It's about the same thing installing from a fresh downloaded kit or from your CD, because the kit on the web doesn't contain all updates (an actual new kit is released very rarely, so basically, it will still download all updates from the web).

So to save time, just install BD from your CD and then you'll only have to download the updates (BD will do that during installation process).

One thing I want to add: when you start the installation, it will check online for a new version of the installation kit, and download it if available. As I said, downloading a new kit won't help you much, so to prevent downloading the kit, just start installing BD with your connection disabled. When it starts to actually install BD on your computer, you can connect to the internet, so the installer can download the product updates after the installation is finished. :)

Cris.

• Your modem doesn't have a constant speed.

We ca't tell that it will take 1 minute or one hour.

The key will still work ;)

Hi Crysty2k5;

Yes the modem has a constant speed. That speed however usually isn't at 56KB. My point was it is usually slower than 56KB, somedays it runs at 42KB, other days it runs at 46KB. It depends on how good or bad the connection is for that session. So based based on a average constant speed of 44KB can you 'guesstimate' how long the install would take? Thanks for the information on using the key.

• alexcrist
    Options

No, we can't "guesstimate" anything, because the speed varies (depending not only from your modem/ISP, but also the server you're downloading from). Also, we don't know the exact size of the updates that you need to download, because new updates are released about once every hour, so the actual size changes.

Also, as far as I know, dial-up modems work at 56kbps, not 56 KB/s, which means that actual speed is about 7-8KB/s (1Byte = 8bits).

Cris.

• NoahH
    Options

Yes. I have a worse problem. My connection although 32kbs is not stable and thus I get disconnected very often. I WAS NOT ABLE TO INSTALL BD at all.

Starting the installation leads to downloading the huge file bdav.msi . I was never been able to download it without interuption (I probably need 2 hrs of no disconnect).

When I ordered BD I asked also for a backup CD. Allthat the CD included is a ridiculous small file (182KB) that initiate the installation!!! WHo needs it?

Well. If there is an advice, I will be glad to hear (no response yet from BD).

• Yes. I have a worse problem. My connection although 32kbs is not stable and thus I get disconnected very often. I WAS NOT ABLE TO INSTALL BD at all.

Starting the installation leads to downloading the huge file bdav.msi . I was never been able to download it without interuption (I probably need 2 hrs of no disconnect).

When I ordered BD I asked also for a backup CD. Allthat the CD included is a ridiculous small file (182KB) that initiate the installation!!! WHo needs it?

Well. If there is an advice, I will be glad to hear (no response yet from BD).

Hi NoahH:

I finally gave up on dial-up and convinced the new BD user that I was helping to install DSL. There just seems to be no easy / quick way to do an install via dial-up.

• NoahH
    Options

:)

BD did resole my problems satisfactorily.

Bravo, and Thanks BD

To BHelms:

You are perfectly right. BUT....

In my area I CANNOT get DSL !!!

BD did send me an installation disc, with one little catch

I needed to download 21MBit updates. That is ok, as the updates

consist of many small files.

Anyhow. all is fine now.

My PC run much faster than with Norton AV