Running VPN in Egypt

Hi, ive relocated to Cairo Egypt, I work in a hotel, my VPN is not working. (182,181 errors tunnel broken)

I have followed all the steps described on the troubleshooting still can not connect.

The IT team in the hotel confirms no firewall and no port restrictions, asked me to get in touch with Bitdefender side.

I am connected through wifi.

Any sugestions ? Thank you

Answers

• Hello @danmnd,

There are a few common causes of Bitdefender VPN errors:

• No Internet – Make sure your device is connected to the Internet with a strong and stable connection.
    • Firewall – Check that your firewall isn’t blocking the VPN. If you’re not sure, look in your router’s manual, contact the manufacturer or your Internet provider.
    • Another VPN or Proxy – If you’re running another VPN or Proxy, disable it when trying to connect.
    • Public Wi-Fi (like in a hotel, school, or office) – Contact the network administrator to see if they can change the firewall settings and allow the VPN connection.
    • Port 443 is blocked – Port 443 UDP must be open for Bitdefender VPN to work.

See if the article below helps in any way:

If the VPN connection still cannot be established after following the above troubleshooting steps, please contact our Support engineers for a more in-depth investigation and provide them with the following information:

• The OS and version on which the vpn is running
    • Whether the problem occurs on a specific location or all locations?
    • IP of the affected server
    • Whether the problem occurs only on mobile data/Ethernet or only on wifi or present on both. Preferably try multiple networks
    • App version.

The above information would help the engineers find the root cause. You can get in touch with the Support teams by choosing one of the contact channels available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• I have the exact same , but connected directly from my home router and I followed the above solutions

• Hello @samanoudi,

If the above troubleshooting steps don't work for you, I would recommend contacting the Technical Support Teams, as more information might be required to troubleshoot this. You can get in touch with our engineers by choosing one of the contact channels available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

When contacting the Support teams, make sure to have the following information available for them, to help speed up the troubleshooting process:

• The OS on which the vpn is running
    • The affected account
    • Whether the problem occurs on a specific location or all locations
    • IP of the affected server
    • If using standalone VPN or VPN in BMS
    • Whether the problem occurs only on mobile data or only on wifi or present on both. Preferably try multiple networks
    • App version

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

• engineer waleed
    edited September 2023

i've the same issue for almost 6 months now and i've contacted support team alot and there is nothing came from bit defender support.

they simply cant make it work in egypt.

and im using premium vpn its not the free one.

• Hello @engineer waleed and thanks for joining us here.

I'm really sorry to hear this and you are right, it seems there is a vpn connectivity issue in Egypt for which the engineers haven't found a solution yet. Going forward, there are really two options here and the decision is yours to make. You can either wait for a resolution and request a validity extension to compensate for the interval in which you could not use the service, or you can request a full refund of your Premium VPN subscription on technical grounds. I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but this is the situation at the moment.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,

Alex

• thanks for reply and im already waiting for a resolution, i hope that bit defender never give up on this situation.

• Hi,

They are not giving up of course, the VPN teams are doing everything they can to fix this in a timely fashion. Logs would prove very helpful for the investigation, therefore may I kindly ask you to reply on the Support ticket and provide the engineers with the support tool log with reproduction when trying to connect?

Regards,

Alex

• i've done a support tool log since day 1 couple of times and they already have much data from me, been couple of months never heard from them...guess they still working on it.

• Hi @engineer waleed,

I have noticed that the Support teams replied on your most recent message. They don't have a specific ETA for when the issue will be fixed, at this moment the development team is still investigating the behavior.

Regards

• I have the same problem, on the web site there is no mention that it doesn't work in Egypt. I looked specifically for this as most VPN's struggle to work in Egypt. Because of this I bought Bitdefender VPN (already being a loyal customer of the Bitdefender Security package) and after days of struggling to make it work, following all the guidelines, I only found out through this chat that Bitdefender VPN has never worked and even after months of effort is still not working.

This is the type of false advertising that drives customers away as it is ingenious and dishonest.

• I've been facing the same issue for over a year now, and the technical support team is supposedly working on the issue since I reported this issue a year ago. Every once in a while, I try Bitdefender VPN and still no hope to get it fixed.

• Hello @Einsteinium and thanks for joining us here.

As far as I'm aware, there hasn't been a breakthrough here, but you can ask the Support teams for an update anytime. They should be able to provide additional information.

Regards,

Alex