Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Autoscan & Safepay settings not saving upon reboot

Options

Hi, I've been recently having a problem after turning off Autoscan of external drives, and also with turning off Safepay.

Once I've turned off the autoscanning feature of my USB external storage and then reboot the system, the settings revert back to autoscan again and starts scanning any USB drives I have plugged in after a reboot.

It's the same with Safepay; Turning this feature off works until a reboot of the system, after which the setting is back on again!

My system is Windows 10 with all updates. It's a full fresh W10 install just before installing BD Total.

There is obviously something going off which is making Bitdefender's settings revert back to default.

I've turned off the marketing messages and recommendation notifications and they stay off, thankfully!

Can anybody from Bitdefender confirm if this is a bug that is being worked on please? I've just recently come over to BD after using another AV solution for a long time.

Many thanks in advance,

Phil.

Comments

• Update

I've just installed BD Total on 2 other laptops and they're also not keeping these settings after a reboot, so I presume it's a bug in the latest version of BD Total? These all have the latest BD updates and versions installed.

Thanks in advance,

Phil.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @TSRaven,

This is indeed a known issue first reported here:

An investigation has been opened by the developers and they will come up with a fix that will be implemented via an automated update.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Hi Alex,

Thank you for the confirmation of the problem.

Hopefully the BD developers can sort the problem with both Autoscan and Safepay out quickly.

Best regards,

Phil.

• AngryWater
    edited February 23
    Options

I am using Bitdefender Antivirus Free, I have the same problem after I uninstalled and re-installed it again, it start annoying unwanted auto-scan on my DVD and all flash drives every time restart Windows 10 or when it got an auto update, just acted like it is a virus itself.

BUT the setting works fine before, even now, other setting is good without any problem, just these 3 annoying ghosts. 😓

Feeling frustrated to see this post, it means this could be a big problem to annoy me even I have contacted support and upload my support log just now.

• same problem, very annoying because the scan starts every time the cloud services register a new drive letter.

Windows 11 Pro, Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631

Bitdefender Total Security, Version 27.0.30.136 (click top right at the rescue ring)

• Foxfan100
    Options

I added a flash drive to the exceptions. Bad move as it's now marked Read Only, which is apparently irreversible through diskpart and other methods. It can't be reformatted either. So it's adios to one good 32gb Sandisk flash drive.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited February 25
    Options

@camarie can you check on this and provide an update, since this issue was already been shared with the developers.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff
    Options

Seems these are new issues to investigate. Forwarded to the appropriate colleagues.

About the settings not persisting, I know it was fixed, but perhaps is something specific to AV Free - asked the team to try to reproduce and come back with an answer.

• Foxfan100
    Options

Yet again, I start my system and BD tries to scan my drives. Put aside the fact that I left the setting as Disabled when I last shut down, it is ludicrous that even if this autoscan feature worked properly i.e. held the settings from one session to the next, it identifies drives as "New" even after having scanned them before. I might think that if anyone wants this dubious feature to autoscan, then at least it might recognise previously-scanned drives from their labels or IDs.

I have been unable to recover my read only flash drive back to R/w state, and personally I think that what BD has introduced in this is in effect a form of malware. I do NOT want any software, good or bad, to be able to alter the states of devices on my system this way. I use my USB ports and drives for a comprehensive system of backups of key data, and if BD is going to put those out of reach, then it is worse than malware or ransomware.

• AngryWater
    Options

I believe it is not AV Free issue only, I had tried to activate the Total Security 30 days trial, the issue still exists.

If this small problem need so much time to fix it, I may try AV software of other's company till you guys email me a solution.

• camarie
    Options

The issue regarding settings was fixed and will be available on the next update. I was referring to the USB flash drive comment.

• AngryWater
    Options

okay, glad to hear that. 😁

Please post some notification here when it has been delivered, then I can adjust update time from 24hr to shorter. (It will launch new scan unwanted if I let it update every 1 hour, so annoying.)

Thanks,

• camarie
    Options

Will do. I will ask the QA guys to allocate extra effort on this and to test it on all the product types, as well as switching from one to another.

• Hello, this is the support answer :

I have looked into the case and it seems that the situation is caused by an issue that has already been acknowledged by our development team. We are currently working on a fix that will be done by means of an automatic update and won't require any additional action on your end.

• AngryWater
    Options

Hi, Sir,

Is it possible to post some "emergency quick patch" for those issues has solved here?

I know you guys maybe want to do update clean and stable, but I feel less patient to wait because this issue too annoying even I log out and log in it launch 3 unwanted scan in light speed, too disturbed on everyday work.

Users who posted their issues here can understand the risk that "quick patch" may not work but perhaps got luck to solve their annoying insane problem first then you guys can fix those unsolved issues at ease, otherwise you guys would know the issue was not solved, yet.

Sounds like a Win-Win situation, doesn't it?

• camarie
    Options

Yes, you are right. Asking about the status I received back this answer:

"The problem is know on protection team, an EFX (emergency fix) will be released with both issues (scan + default settings) when is ready". So, while I cannot give you an exact date, the EFX is in preparation and it will be released asap.

• AngryWater
    Options

Maybe I misunderstood the default setting issue was solved but you guys holding it to wait other issue solved for updating them together...sounds like the scan + default settings issues are relevant?

So it is not possible to EFX 1 only first (default setting), right?

If they are not relevant, hope you can consider the suggestion that default setting may be more emergency, at least the users can set it by themselves and not bother you during the time period of fixing them all.

Anyway, thanks,

• camarie
    Options

It is possible, but the entire set of tests should be run anyways. If that would go in two separate steps, it will result in two complete test sets run, which will take twice as long.

Anyways, this is outside my control or involvement - the fixes and testing are done by another set of guys - all I can do is to stress them and take punches in forum for them (at least this I can do). I understand your (justified) impatience, but all updates, small or big, are costly and tedious affairs.

• AngryWater
    edited February 27
    Options

Okay, I understand, I've been there, my career of almost my entire life is developing game or some software by coding or managing projects, so I can totally accept your words.

It sounds so pain in your situation, I hope you guys can solve them smoothly and soon with good luck.

Considering other users who may not realize what is development and maintaining of a big software, they maybe need some separate solution as "first band-aid" to ease their inconvenience and pain in jobs. My sincere recommendation, please let your team understand that "default setting" issue is more important thing than "scan" issue actually. At least they can stop AV to do unwanted thing to prevent further disaster happening.

If the solutions of them still need more time, perhaps you guys need to sit down, to have a small meeting, and decide that if you need to change update plan or not. After all, reminding users there is a "saving file bug" by making them busy to stop unwanted scan actions when they just turn on their computers and prepare to start some important works everyday... seems not so good for Bit Defender reputation and image. Keeps "default setting" of a powerful AV software must not be the same thing as saving a text file, but most users do not have technical minds to comprehend such detail.

However, I got you personally and don't want to push you more, wish you and team good luck, hoping everything to be fine. 🙂

• AngryWater
    Options

Okay, I understand, I've been there, my career of almost my entire life is developing game or some software by coding or managing projects, so I can totally accept your words.

It sounds so pain in your situation, I hope you guys can solve them smoothly and soon with good luck.

Considering other users who may not realize what is development and maintaining of a big software, they maybe need some separate solution as "first band-aid" to ease their inconvenience and pain in jobs. My sincere recommendation, please let your team understand that "default setting" issue is more important thing than "scan" issue actually. At least they can stop AV to do unwanted thing to prevent further disaster happening.

If the solutions of them still need more time, perhaps you guys need to sit down, to have a small meeting, and decide that if you need to change update plan or not. After all, reminding users there is a "saving file bug" by making them busy to stop unwanted scan actions when they just turn on their computers and prepare to start some important works everyday... seems not so good for Bit Defender reputation and image. Keeps "default setting" of a powerful AV software must not be the same thing as saving a text file, but most users do not have technical minds to comprehend such detail.

However, I got you personally and don't want to push you more, wish you and team good luck, hoping everything to be fine. 🙂

• camarie
    Options

Thank you for understanding. And I will continue to push, not for any reason but at the end of the day we need to constantly improve. (End of mini-rant).

• Lawrenph
    Lawrenph FCMA CGMA
    Options

I can confirm that I am having the same issues and it is very annoying. Corporately I am trying to push for Bitdefender to be adopted and it is not helping the case when my personal laptop is beset with with constant boot time delays because Bitdefender software wants to scan all my drives every time I switch on and I have a lot of them attached. Come on Bitdefender we need the software back to proper functionality.

• camarie
    Options

The safepay settings not persisting across reboots issue fix was released in version 27.0.30.135.

• ReneHoss
    Options

Is this the same problem, and will it also be fixed? Posted elsewhere too, but admin seems more present here...

"Having the same problems after the last update, never had this problem before of losing certain settings.

All of a sudden I noticed the settings for scanning had changed, on startup I have a Quick Scan, always to run minimized.

I now got a pop up screen with the Quick Scan every time I booted. Changed the settings to run minimized again,

but after reboot it was reset again.

--> It seems that the resetting to the chosen settings from before the update occurs only in the "Antivirus" section and only

after a reboot."

• Lawrenph
    Lawrenph FCMA CGMA
    Options

Any news on the fix yet? Bitdefender is still scanning every single drive for viruses on Windows startup because it is not keeping the settings not to.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Lawrenph ,

This issue has been apparently fixed in the latest update being rolled out. I don't have it yet. Updates are rolled out over a two-week period maximum to ensure that any anomalies are spotted early.

We have to be patient. Help is coming. Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Lawrenph
    Lawrenph FCMA CGMA
    Options

Thank you for the information on the update. In the meantime in a Board Meeting this week that I attended, Bitdefender was not chosen as the Internet Security software platform for a medium-sized Limited business because the response time to this issue was too slow. The business does not have an IT structure of its own, relying on the cloud for everything but wanted to make sure laptops and mobiles were protected properly. I will still use Bitdefender on my own, personal, tech but I was disappointed to see the solution go to a competing product which, in my opinion, is not as good.

• AngryWater
    edited March 6
    Options

I am just an end user and don't want push the BD team, but I think my patient maybe burn out this week, too, after weeks been busying to stop AV to launch 3 or 4 unwanted scan and reset the un-saved default setting about auto-scan for new devices every time.

Well, I am re-watch the "LOST" series (2004), this just let me feel I am the guys who need to reset the counter every 108 minutes using the numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.... dude, now I know what those guys' feeling in the "LOST". This is the only fun that keeping me try not to uninstall BD AV and turn to competing product.

Hoping you smart guys could understand, what the REAL COST of LOSING USERS definitely far far far more more more than the "COST for TESTING TWICE". Keeping the update on your hands, making users' pain for weeks, but NOT to release them separated was saving NOTHING of cost.

Still looking forward for real solution before the patient burned out this week, wish you guys good luck.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello everyone,

@Lawrenph thanks for sharing this insight with us. I guess that's how things work in life, you win some, you loose some. But here I dare say that the loss is theirs, Bitdefender offers outstanding enterprise security solutions.

The issue here was specific to home user solutions and it took a little bit longer to resolve than expected, but I think this setback doesn't affect the overall quality of these security solutions and the advanced level of protection they offer.

The following issues were resolved with the latest build version 27.0.30.140:

• Device scanning settings reset
    • Custom scan dissapears after restart
    • Scan settings reset after restart

I know this situation generated a lot of frustration and I'm glad to hear a fix has been deployed. I think sometimes a little bit of patience is needed, the developers will always find a way to fix things if something doesn't work as expected, and bug fixing usually takes time to troubleshoot. The debugging period may be long or short, depending on the complexity of the problem.

@AngryWater I hope the anger went away, or at least decreased. 🙂

I can tell you that all updates undergo extensive testing before they are being released and the teams involved are very much aware of what's at stake here. This testing process involves multiple stages to ensure that the update is stable, functional, and compatible with various hardware configurations and software environments. The updates are all being rolled out in batches for better monitoring.

I have recently finished watching LOST and I can honestly say it was one of the best series I've binged.

Regards,

Alex

• camarie
    Options

Both problems are fixed in the 27.0.30.140 version.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

• AngryWater
    edited March 6
    Options

Thank you guys, it seems work stayed saving the setting. Thanks God!!! 😅 I don't need to play "LOST" reset counter game everyday any more.

But when I was updating it manually, the progress jammed at 84% for 10 minutes without any movement till I cancel the update and reboot my system. After that the version show 140 and said nothing for update if I try to do update again, is it normal?

• Lawrenph
    Lawrenph FCMA CGMA
    Options

Thank you, version 140 has fixed the issue. Alexandru_BD your comment "I dare say that the loss is theirs" when our Board of Directors decided against Bitdefender Enterprise because of the response to this issue, is poorly thought out. The loss is Bitdefender's as well. You have lost a potential customer and ongoing revenue for many years to come as small as it might have been to your organization. Secondly, you have failed to identify that how Bitdefender responds to issues like this one, reflects on how perceptions are made on how it will perform on it's portfolio of software across the board. Finally, you have lost a degree of reputation. The company concerned is a major player in a niche market and their decision will not go unnoticed. I am disappointed because I know how good a product Bitdefender is and I am not entirely convinced about the one that has been chosen instead as the AV Lab tests are not quite as good. Perhaps Bitdefender, as a company, needs to think about how it communicates progress toward resolving issues to its user base a little more efficiently than using a comments forum.

• camarie
    Options

It's not jammed. It might appear to be if a download got corrupted/timed out and needs restarted, low disk space or memory conditions and in general limit conditions Obviously I don't know if you did not really hit a bug, I cannot exclude that. Retrying usually solves a particular issue that might occur at some point.

• AngryWater
    Options

I have tried updated it manually last night and today 3 times or more, seems nothing else to report, now it show 100% update completed and the version number shows 140.

None issue of reset to default setting since this update, I think it is fair enough to me.

• camarie
    Options

Glad it is now fixed, thank you for feedback.

• AngryWater
    Options

I guess we all glad it is fixed, and thanks to you all guys. 😄

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Thank you for your feedback @AngryWater. 👍️

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited March 8
    Options

@Lawrenph thanks for replying. 👍️

While I'm aware that this event caused an inconvenience and I regret this, I personally don't think it's fair to make the tie-breaking judging by the resolution timeframe of a specific situation that arose following an update alone. It's like cheering for your favourite football club only when they are winning. Things like this may happen (the development teams make considerable efforts to ensure they don't). And yes, you are right to say it's very important HOW the vendor reacts and deals with it.

Then there's this other thing that comes to my mind. The newest build can be flawless, absolutely impeccable passing all tests and the next thing you know, some OS updates itself and sparks a conflict with your software, giving you a headache and many man-hours to resolve. Now, I'm not trying to point the finger at anyone here and I'm fully aware it may be a loss for both parties, but if this the only criterion the management considered when selecting an antivirus provider, then it's regrettable, from my point of view, because there are many other things to consider when you entrust the safety of your business to a cybersecurity vendor.

I think everyone always learns something, sooner or later. So maybe they need to try other solutions to convince themselves which one is best suited for their business needs. And it's O.K. if they find it, as long as they stay protected out there. And if they are not satisfied with their current solution, Bitdefender's door is always open. 😉

The forum is not here to communicate issues on behalf of the company nor to resolve them all of the time. This community is an environment where Bitdefender users, enthusiasts and fans can engage, exchange ideas, support each other and share their knowledge and solutions. It is also a place of ideation and provides valuable feedback to the product development teams. It's a place where members can talk about Bitdefender and all things related, together with people from Bitdefender. But it's by no means the only communication channel the company has. 😁

This being said, I highly appreciate your loyalty and I encourage you to visit our community more often. You might like us even more! 😅

Regards,

Alex