What Can I Do To Overcome 'You Do Not Have Permission' to Shred Files

I've read other posts on this topic and none I've found help me, I apologize if I've missed a post that provide the solution. I am experiencing excessively high CPU usage when running Visual Studio 2022 and when I've opened one of my DLL projects. Other solutions/projects do not exhibit this high CPU usage even when multiple solutions are open/loaded simultaneously along with the offending one. Through other googling on the topic of high CPU usage (in VS and in other situations) it is suggested that deleting ALL of the files/folders in the Temp folder will alleviate this issue. And it was suggested that using a File Shredder would be the best way to delete these files/folders. I tried to do this with BitDefender's File Shredder, but it was only able to delete half of the contents of my Temp folder. The rest exhibited 'locked' files which BitDefender said it could not delete because I did not have permission. How do I overcome the permission problem (I am already running as administrator) and is this malware?

Answers

• Hello @PeteBro,

Did you use the contextual or interface shred option? Try also from the UI, as you have admin permissions.
    Also, keep in mind that some files may probably be in use, thus undeleteable at that stage.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• The method I used did not identify itself as contextual (or interface), but I used the BD interface… I selected "Utilities" then 'File Shredder" in the "Data Protection" panel. You said try also from the UI…. is there an interface that is not through the BD UI?
    Also I did close all other applications/windows before running the utility. I understand that there are background processes running. I should also say that in examining many of the folders that remained after running the File Shredder on them, there was only one file that remained in each (that I looked at) and in every case the filename was (simply) "lock" and the file size was 0KB?

• Hi,

To resolve the high CPU usage in Visual Studio 2022 when opening your DLL project, try these steps:

1. Clear Temp Files Manually:
      • Open Run (Win + R), type %temp%, and delete the contents manually. Skip any files that are currently in use.
    2. Use Disk Cleanup:
      • Run Disk Cleanup (search in Start Menu), select your drive, and choose to clean up system files, including Temporary files.
    3. Unlock Locked Files:
      • Use a tool like Unlocker or Process Explorer to identify and unlock files that are in use.
    4. Check Visual Studio Extensions:
      • Disable or uninstall any unnecessary extensions in Visual Studio that might be causing the issue.
    5. Update Visual Studio:
      • Ensure Visual Studio 2022 and all related components are up to date.
    6. Repair Visual Studio:
      • Go to Visual Studio Installer and select the Repair option for Visual Studio 2022.
    7. Malware Check:
      • Run a full system scan with BitDefender to ensure no malware is causing the high CPU usage.

These steps should help you manage and resolve the high CPU usage issue.