Bitdefender Mobile Security for Android Devices - Show the MAC address for "Smart Unlock" objects

EitanCaspi
EitanCaspi Defender of the month

Hi,

For "Bitdefender Mobile Security for Android Devices" - you have a feature named "Smart Unlock" which disables the app locking feature if the device is connected to a specific Wi-Fi network.

Please add next to each item in this feature (e.g. Wi-Fi network and possibly Bluetooth devices in the future) - its network MAC address. This will help us to more accurately identify the object since a Wi-Fi network may have several access points and extenders and today we see the same network name several times, duplicated, and we cannot be certain which actual network device it represent and that it is really the one we trust (as Wi-Fin network name can be forged).

Thank you!

0 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• EitanCaspi

Adding, as it is actually the source issue of the above request, that I wish for BD to solve - I have one Wi-Fi network, one SSID, that spans across several access points and/or routers, which means that several MAC addresses are serving the same SSID.

This implementation is not supported by the Bitdefender for Android, the "Smart Unlock" for the app locking, as today it seems that this feature let you select an SSID but holds and matches only one MAC address of this SSID - which means this feature is not working when you roam around this SSID so your Android is now using a different Access Point MAC address, so there is no match and the "Smart Unlocking" is not working and you have to manually unlock apps, although you are in the same SSID.

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH mod

@Alexandru_BD @agozob Any thoughts on this idea? Thanks.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited July 24

This will also enable us to identify the exact device connected to the internet, as its MAC address will provide a clear indication of the device's identity.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Yes, this is a known situation. It should go through Support, as they have an open investigation with the development teams for which they are collecting insights and user feedback, in their efforts to solve this problem in a timely manner.

Thanks

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• EitanCaspi

Hi Guys,

Thank you for very much for you replies. I thought I already sent this to support but now I searched again and didn't find any evidence to that - so I emailed it now to them.

Also, please look at another post of mine, in which I ask that smart unlock will also work with Bluetooth devices connections. Please add it to the product, it will be very helpful!

https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/88472/bitdefender-mobile-security-for-android-devices-enable-app-unlock-by-bluetooth-connection

• Hi @EitanCaspi,

I've asked the product teams to review your suggestion as soon as possible. As with all feature requests, we cannot confirm if and when they will make it into the products, as this decision ultimately belongs to the developers.

When adjusting the products or developing new features, the product management teams always take multiple criteria into account. Even though a feature may seem effortless to implement at first, the developers are also considering aspects such as the value the respective feature brings to the average user, as each modification must be designed for both advanced users and less tech savvy users as well, to meet overall requirements.

Thank you,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• EitanCaspi

Thank you @Alexandru_BD.

Well, it is actually not so much of a new feature request, but rather a feature that doesn't cover a reasonable use case, like a Wi-Fi network with more than one access point (even more common at non-home locations, like work offices), hence spanning multiple source MAC addresses, hence the usability of the feature is damaged and frustrates customers, which is what is happening in my case - I move around my home and although I enabled "Smart Unlock" for my home network, at some parts of the home I need to manually unlock apps. Thus, I hope dev will give this higher priority to fix.