Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

0x00000124 Blue Screen Crash

Options
dariusp
edited August 2008 in General talk

I have been using BitDefender Internet Security v10 on my XP machine for over a year now and was very happy with this product.

Recently I have bought new computer with Vista Ultimate 32, upgraded to BD Int.Security 2008 and this was the start of my problems. My brand new Dell computer suffered multiple 0x00000124 blue screen crashes which I thought were hardware issues and so I had my graphic card, motherboard and HD replaced but crashes kept coming.

I have also reinstalled my OS about 5 times by now but it haven't cured the problem either! If not hardware or OS than what?

After about a month of testing I come to the conclusion that BD Int. Security 2008 appears to be the problem! Scenario is always like this:

1- I install Vista, Vista SP1, BitDefender and a couple of other programs (including Age of Conan MMO) none of which (except BD of course) are set to run at startup.

2- if I try to run BD Full and/or Deep scan my computer suffers almost immediate 0x00000124 Blue Screen Crash and I am unable to use those scans after that anymore.

3- if I don't use scans my comp suffers 124 crash once or twice at some point during the day (no pattern) and than multiple 124 crashes on startup (even if machine is being booted for the first time on this day) until my BitDefender is so mutilated that it stops working. Than my machine runs hapily with no more crashes but also no Internet protection.

Removing and reinstalling BD only causes for the scenario to repeat itself (right now I am at the point where Full and Deep scans aren't responding).

And yes, I have run BitDefender online scan and it come up clean.

Comments

• Hello!

I found this,I hope that you can repair your problem ;)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952681

Goodbye!!

• dariusp
    edited August 2008
    Options

Thanks matabufalez I appreciate your reply but I am familiar with that particular issue. I have stumbled upon it early in my search for the solution. Trouble is that I have never used "hot plugging" feature and you can't trigger it by accident.

• Niels
    Options

Hello dariusp,

Download the latest BIOS update that you can download on the dell website. See here for an explanation.

Kind regards,

Niels

• Thant's not it either Niels I have latest 1.0.8 version installed.

Best wishes

Darius

• Hi, i speak dutch, but i explain so good that i can.

Hmm I'm not sure, but what for videokaart have you? Nvidia? You can try the map of the nvidia drivers place in the rules of exceptions.

options > antivirus > tab exceptions? (i have dutch version -> uitzonderingen)

Map nvidia driver -> c:/nvidia

I don"t have idea or this works, but i hope so! Succes!

• If you`re talking about nVidia video card, it is most likely a hardware issue. It is well known that nVidia chipsets tend to overheat many times, and this might be the problem. I suggest you go back with it if you have warranty. However, it is not for sure that this is the problem. To make sure, please use a software such as GPU-Z to see the temepratures when idle and when in full load.

Best regards!

• dariusp
    edited August 2008
    Options

I will try your advice krisstt and will report if it made any difference :)

That's a great little utility AndreiASM. Thank you! I have run it and everything seems to be within the norm. Why I posted my problem here is because:

1- 98% of 0x00000124 crashes happen at startup (mostly before or just after logon) and BitDefender is the only program (except system files of course) which is allowed to load at startup and, importantly,

2- the efect of the crashes is always damaged Bit Defender. Once BD stops working, no more crashes.

My last two crashes happened two days ago when I tryed to run BD's Full and Deep scans. Since than my computer haven't crashed but both scans are disabled.

• I tend to believe that the problem is being caused by a faulty BD driver. Blue screens of death are very often caused by drivers, and I don`t think your case is an exception. What I suggest you to do is try the follwoing:

1. Remove BD completely by using the special uninstall tool.

2. Reinstall BD Total Security or BD Antivirus, just to check if they cause this kind of problem, and tell us the result.

I can assume that without BD installed, everything works fine.

Best regards.

• That' a good idea Andrei, I will install trial version of BD Total Security and will see what happens.

• Niels
    Options

Hello dariusp,

To see if it isn't a driver problem please do this press the windows button together with r now type devmgmt.msc press enter. Go to the display/view menu and select show hidden devices. Expand each section and see if you see an exclamation mark. Expand also the section network adaptors see if you see entries that have Nvidia in the name.

After that please do this press the windows button together with r now type dxdiag press enter. Go to the display (monitor/screen) tab are there any errors mentionned? Run also the direct draw and direct 3d tests what is the result. After that go also to the music/sound tab and see if there are any errors mentioned.

Kind regards,

Niels

• dariusp
    edited August 2008
    Options

I did what you have suggested Niels and no errors showed up. How do you run direct draw and direct 3d tests? On advice of Andrei and another BD tech support guy I have also uninstalled BD and tun my comp without it for a day. My sytem crashed even without BD! So it's a crash which is damaging my BD and not the other way round.....

BD support guy suggest a audio component in Vista and he might be right since I do sometimes hear weird sound effects during crashes.

• Niels
    Options

Hello dariusp,

It could be that you can't run direct draw and direct 3d tests in dxdiag vista.

Try this open the BIOS of your computer. Normally the most common keys to get into the BIOS are : del(ete) or the function buttons. You need to press the key very quick.

And search for this option C1E or CPU Enhanced Halt select it by pressing enter. The most common location is in the CPU section.Don't forget to save the settings you need to press the correspond to save the changes. Try afterwards to download and install the latest drivers for your onboard soundchip. Remove first your old drivers trough software,add&remove.

Kind regards,

Niels