Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender 2009 Manual Update ?

Options
majid20
edited September 2008 in General talk

Hi

I buy bitdefender 2009 and worked very well :rolleyes:

I have to format my windows and re-install it

How I save my updates?

&

How I use them again?

I have dial-up internet :wacko: and I can't update big files for every install

Can anyone help me?

ThaX

Comments

• The updated files are located in #:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Threat Scanner where "#" is the partition with your OS.

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited September 2008
    Options

Yes, some files are where Catal1n said. But those are only signature files, not all files. Also, the folders stored there have to be registered so that BD knows where to find them (in the Threat Scanner folder you'll find folders with a number in their name, number which has to be known by BD).

Also, Self-Protect would give you hard times if/when you try to write files in that folder.

So, basically, there are slim chances that you'll succeed in backing-up the updates. Even if you succeed to back them up and to put them back, I don't know that BD will even recognize them (and in this case, BD will just delete them and re-download them).

Unfortunately, BitDefender wasn't designed to have a back-up system for it's files, so the safest way is to just make a clean install and let it update from the server.

Edit: If you wish, I could tell you what to try to back up the signatures. But as I said, I don't have any guarantee that it will work.

Cris.

• Edit: If you wish, I could tell you what to try to back up the signatures. But as I said, I don't have any guarantee that it will work.

Cris.

Thanks ... Please tell me ;)

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited September 2008
    Options

Open Registry Editor (Start -> Run -> regedit.exe) and find the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BitDefender\BitDefender Threat Scanner\

There you'll find two values: EnginesFolder and EnginesFolder2.

Export the two values to a safe place (where you can find them, and where they won't be deleted when reinstalling the OS).

After that, find the two folders (written in the two above values), and copy their contents to a new location.

Reinstall your OS, and reinstall BD as usual (don't make update to BD).

After completing the installation, reboot in SafeMode (reboot your system, and press F8 multiple times during the bot sequence). A boot menu should appear, and select Safe Mode.

In Safe Mode, find the backup files (the two folders), and copy them back to C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Threat Scanner (of course, if you have Windows installed on C. Otherwise, go on the system partition). Before copying the folders, you could delete the other folders found in the BitDefender Threat Scanner folder (but JUST the folders. Leave the files there!)

After copying the folders, find the backed-up reg file (in which you exported the two values from above) and double-click it, so that the values are registered.

Then reboot normally, and see if BitDefender works.

Still, BitDefender will have to download the Product Updates (which can't be backed up), but at least you won't have to download the signatures again.

If the backup doesn't work, BitDefender will have to download everything again (which will actually result in a bigger download, then if you leave it as it is after a simple reinstallation).

I hope this works.

Cris.

• Thanks ... I try :ph34r:

But why in BD new versions , wasn't designed to have a back-up updates ? :huh:

Another Anti-viruses make it : Kaspersky - NOD32 - Avira - AVG - McAfee & .... :o

It's not good for BD :(