Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

V2009 Ie ****** Errors At Startup

Options

I've been running v2009 for a few weeks and have been keeping it updated. The past couple of days when I start my computer I receive errors similar to the following:

Internet Explorer ****** Error

Line: 580

Char: 2

Error: 'Null' is null or not an object

Code: 0

URL: res://C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\dashboard.dll/12002

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? Yes No

-------

I answer yes.

The exact message repeats two (2) more times. I answer yes each time. After that things seem to be normal. Updates complete without problems.

-------

Product is: BitDefender Antivirus 2009

Engine: 7.22116

Signatures: 2266959

Comments

• After those updates did you restarted your PC or the errors still occurred?

• robertkn
    edited November 2008
    Options
    After those updates did you restarted your PC or the errors still occurred?

Generally we start the computer each morning and shut it down at the end of the workday. If we install an update and are instructed to do a restart at the end of the install we do so. But, if a signature update does not instruct us to do a restart, then we do not. These errors occurred for 2-3 days straight. I am not sure about today as someone else started the computer today and I have not yet spoken with that person.

• I've been having the same problem the past few days... anyone know why this error ocurrs? Is there a solution?

• Same error here! After updating Bitdefender a few days ago! Exactly the same "symptoms"... as you all describe… what happened? It’s really annoying… <_<
  • Hydros
    edited December 2008
    Options

I can confirm I have the exact same problem.

Plus my computer has restarted many times after recovering from a fatal error which windows tells me is due to bitdefender.

I didn't have this problem with BD2007 and it's nothing else on my computer as I formated it a couple of days ago!

Please fix this BitDefender!!!!

• This happens especially when you don't restart your computer after an update requires you to. Is everybody sure that this is occurring in any other moments?

• This happens especially when you don't restart your computer after an update requires you to. Is everybody sure that this is occurring in any other moments?

Hey guys! It stopped! Since yesterday. :rolleyes: I can say that I restarted the computer every time an update required it. So I don't really know what could produce that ****** error; but it seems that Bitdefeder fixed it.

• Hey guys! It stopped! Since yesterday. :rolleyes: I can say that I restarted the computer every time an update required it. So I don't really know what could produce that ****** error; but it seems that Bitdefeder fixed it.

I do tech support for a group of folks at a small business. One person so far is reporting this error upon startup of her computer. Is there a procedure to solve this? I told her to restart it. This is a bitdefender error, correct?

I did not restart after the update. But I have restarted since and I cant get rid of it. Any actual fix for this? Anything I can do?

• pcbugfixer
    Options

G'Day Folks,

OK 1st we got this error after creating an image of the XP Pro SP 3 to then put it on a new Hard Drive (old one had sector errors) the new HDD was larger (Old 80Gb new 160GB)

all this went well, but the ****** error started when the new HDD loaded. with

/!\ An error has occurred in the ****** on this page.

Line: 1

Char: 1

Error: Object expected

URL :res://C:\OSD\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\ENU\seccenter.ui/700

Do you want to continue running ****** on this page ?

[Yes] [No]

So we rebooted - then uninstalled BDIS 2009 - then rebooted - then used the BD cleaner - then re-booted the used on of our registry cleaners to hunt down anything that looked like BD - then re-booted - then re-installed BDIS 2009 - re-booted - entered key and registered with existing email and PW - and , and the ****** error comes up again and again.

We are now rebooting after yet another update, mind you we downloaded the latest BDIS 2009 from the BD web site ??!!

I will come back after re-booting, to see if the updates make a difference.

:ph34r:

• pcbugfixer
    pcbugfixer ✭✭✭
    edited December 2008
    Options

G'Day folks,

Returning from re-boot after BDIS update !

We now get a new ****** error !

/!\ an error has occurred in the ****** on this page.

Line: 28

Char: 3

Error: 'stringArr' is undefined

URL: res://C:\OSD\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\ENU\seccenter.ui/700

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?

[Yes] [No]

Once we click Yes, it changes to

/!\ an error has occured in the ****** on this page.

Line: 1

URL: res://C:\OSD\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\ENU\seccenter.ui/700

[Yes] [No]

After clicking Yes about 27 times, the error message goes away !?

and promptly comes back every time we want to use any Bitdefender 2009 functions, i.e. click on any BD icons or menu options including "Repair or Remove" Bitdefender 2009 interface just does not load and is hampered by the ****** error popup(s)

So what is the fix for this please ??

• pcbugfixer
    pcbugfixer ✭✭✭
    edited January 2009
    Options

Back again with more information.

We uninstalled all of BDIS and cleared the registry of all BD entries with our developers tool.

Then we installed the original BD v10 and that was all OK with no errors and it worked with the original key.

Then we un-installed it, cleaned the registry with the BD tool and re-booted and installed the BDIS 2008 upgrade that we kept. After rebooting and completing the registration, etc we started getting ****** errors.

Line: 57

URL: res://C:\OSD\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\ENU\seccenter.ui/104

[Yes] [No]

Then

Line: 58

[Yes] [No]

then

Line: 48

[Yes] [No]

and the so on ...............

Obviously this did not fix it - so we uninstalled BDIS 2008 and cleaned out the registry with the BD tool as well as our developers tool, and re-booted.

We noted that after the un-install of BDIS 2008 and 2009 and re-booting, that the windows sync tool v4.5 and Perfect disk v8 re-installed themselves (Windows Install pop up appeared) during the XP desktop loading.

Nevertheless, after having cleared out the last BDIS 2008, we attempted to re-install BDIS 2009 once again to see if there was any difference, with disappointing results, and ****** error messages once again - only this time the ****** error popup contained no information and only offered the YES No option!

Line:

Char:

Error:

Code:

URL:

[Yes] [No]

We again uninstalled BDIS 2009 and also un-installed the Sync v4.5 tool as well as the Perfect Disk v8 to then run a XP Repair from the original XP CD and also run Microsoft Updates (= Windows Update for those that do not have Microsoft Update Installed)

On observation, by logging into the customers BD Account, we noted that the original BD v10 still had 213 days to go, however all other attempted installations of 2008 and 2009 only showed as Trial installations and did not register with the original Key. We would have expected that the 2008 should have registered as it was installed with the original update file from BD - however this is not true.

We will keep you posted after we have repaired and updated the XP installation.

BTW. We also sent a email to BD Support and registered User support on the 28 Dec 2008 for which we have had auto responders replies to both suggesting that we would get an answer within 48 hours (2 days)!!!

To-day being the 4 Jan 2009, and there have been no replies 168 hours (7 days) later. I wonder what the reason will be this time around???

• pcbugfixer
    pcbugfixer ✭✭✭
    edited January 2009
    Options

G'Day once again Folks,

OK, This is how we fixed it !

But 1st lets recap a few points and some other issues that occurred.

We re-created the complete scenario by re-loading the original image and this is what happened.

Please document any action that you may take on your PC if you use this or similar procedures to fix the scrip errors with the BitDefender issues.

As before, after booting from the new hard drive, the BD ****** errors appeared (you can preview some of these in my previous posts) so we uninstalled the BDIS 2009 and noted that The following other software issues arose.

1. After uninstalling BDIS and re-booting, the Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5 that we had previously installed, re-appeared with a Windows Installer popup and re-installed itself.

2. The PerfectDisk v8.x we had previously installed also re-appeared with a Windows Installer popup and re-installed itself.

3. The Nero 8.3.6.0 installation was partly corrupted with the InCD and related components not loading bringing up error messages.

4. BitDefender 2009 (BDIS 2009) would not re-install correctly continuing to show ****** errors after numerous re-install attempts.

We now with our previous knowledge performed a complete uninstall of any affected software, re-booted as required and used any cleaning tools that were available from the software publishers, like the BD Uninstall Tool, and the Nero 8 Clean Tool (or any other version that was installed or affected on your PC) and uninstalled any other effected software through the Add or Remove Programs utility in the Control Panel or by use of the un-install function if the program had its own un-install tool.

It also becomes obvious that BD during its uninstall also uninstalls common system files (like .dll files) that are used by the effected other programs which cause these to fail.

5, So we un-installed BDIS and after re-booting used the Uninstall tool,

6. then uninstalled Nero and used it's uninstall / clean tool.

7. then un-installed RAXCO PerfectDisk v8 and used its uninstall tool.

8. then uninstalled Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5 through the Add or Remove Programs utility.

9. Re-booted the PC and then cleaned out all temp files from any temp or trash folders with CCleaner and used the CCleaner Registry tool to clean any registry redundant errors. We used this as you all will have access to the same tool which is free or you can send the author a donation.

You should now make notes of the errors that occurred on your PC and any additional software that may have been corrupted on your PC. i.e. any software errors and or any other additional errors that occurred on your system if you also experienced this or similar ****** errors in order to uninstall all the effected software before you perform the next step.

10. We then performed a XP Repair on the PC using the original XP SP2 CD. Note that we used the repair function that becomes available at the end of performing an install when the loader looks for any existing XP installation and will then offer to run a repair allowing you to press " R " in order to do so. Please remember that your CMOS setup may need to be altered to be able to boot from the XP CD.

11. After a few re-start, part of the repair function and re-load tasks, and the completion of the repair, we re-booted once again to change the CMOS setup back to normal and re-booted to the now repaired XP desktop.

12. We then did a complete Microsoft Update (Windows Update for those that do not use Microsoft Update) and did this several times until no updates of any kind remained (please note we did not install the Searchv4 utility and elected to not show this update in future)

13. Having completed the Update of the XP Operating system and other Microsoft software which Microsoft Update performed for us, and re-booting and cleaning out temp files and folders, we reinstalled BDIS 2009 from a fresh downloaded Trial installation file and crossed our fingers that after the mandatory re-boot at the end of the installation that the ****** errors would not reappear - AND THEY DID NOT - HENCE THE PROBLEM WAS FIXED !!

14. We noted that by using the Trial version and not registering the BDIS at first, that the software did update however kept coming up with a popup Saying "BitDefender services have been switched off temporarily for an update." which did not unload itself and after waiting 5 minutes for it to do so and failing, we simply X out (closed) the window and then re-booted.

15. After re-booting once again having performed a BDIS update which did not prompt for such an action (usually does when required and should have done so with a fresh (new) installation and 1st BDIS program and definitions update) we performed yet another BDIS update, yup there were more, and again re-booted.

16. When the PC was at the desktop we opened the BDIS and Registered the program with the original Key (from BD v10 with 213 days to go) and the confirmed the customers account by entering the email and password for the account - and it went through OK and the BDIS now is functional, in other words, it now works correctly.

17. We the performed a new installation of any other software that we had uninstalled to the original corruptions, i.e. reinstalled Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5. Nero 8.3.6.0, PerfectDisk v8 and its updates. NB: We re-booted after each program install to ensure that BDIS still functioned correctly as well as the reinstalled program.

18 Our Customers PC is back to normal with everything working.

Summary.

Obvious to us is the fact that a corruption occurred in the BDIS after the image was transferred to the new Hard Disk and an embedded code may have prevented the transfer of BD to a new Hard Drive, similar to Microsoft protection when you change major Hardware components like a Motherboard but not for a Hard Drive, in the event of a motherboard change, you can still run a XP repair which will fix the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) problem when you do change a motherboard.

So we would recommend that before creating an image for the purpose of transferring the XP Operating System to a new Hard Disk Drive, that you uninstall BitDefender (making sure that you have the Key and the account details, User email and password for BD, and then after the uninstall of BD crate the image for the reloading of the XP installation to the new HDD.

We note that BD now tells us after we have purchased their product, that registration is compulsory which is a bit late when a customer may not wish to do so!

That registration is compulsory must be disclosed on the product(s) page and also included on any product list or listing at the beginning of the product description and highlighted in bold. "Registration of all our products is compulsory with the User / Purchasers email address and desired password." which aught to be easy to do.

Happy computing folks, :ph34r:

Like I say,

• Tink
    edited January 2009
    Options

Hello PCBugFixer,

I just wanted to thank you for your great notes on the problem, the attempts to fix it, and the eventual fix. I, for one, REALLY appreciate the effort you took in writing/sharing the notes.

The type of headaches that software problems like these can cause are manifold. For some of us who can slog our way through the necessary steps to fix things, it is huge time waste. aggravation and frustration THEN MAYBE we have the fix. For the person who must hire someone else to fix the problem, a reasonably priced software program becomes a $500 application bomb.

As I read all that you did to try to fix the issue, I was thinking of the time expense. Now then, just how many hours at how much an hour did that poor customer have to pay due to this BD 2009 problem? Thank you BD.

I started buying (buying) BD a few years ago, it was sleek, or so it seemed, and a relief from McAfee which I was kinda stuck with -- but not for long. With another year or so left on the product, I was disgusted and ditched it for BD. I had my daughter ditch her McAfee when her subscription was up. Happy enough, I bought the 2009 ver in December, and I am not so happy with how my machines are all running now (3 of them.)

We have the dashboard.dll/12002 ****** error coming up (that's how I found your message). I didn't write all the details, as the problem hadn't aggravated me enough yet, it was occurring on my husband's "work" machine and hadn't hit me yet. Now I am shaking in my boot_s, what the heck is going on.

I'm hoping that the error has something to do with his failure to reboot after an update, but I don't like problems like that due to an automatic install demanding a reboot or you're going to have problems. Excuse me I'm working, I don't have time to reboot now!

As for the compulsory registration, that was my first "I don't like this" about the 2009 version. What? I paid the bucks, I have the key, I don't want to be forced to register. Cleaning up that registration mess took about 4 hours of my time on 3 machines (i.e. digging up the problem, getting to tech support, then working through signup/registration crud.) Having worked through that with online tech support, I told them I wanted them to let their management know that I didn't like being pushed around by their software, nor the time waste it imposed!

Second problem... I had to do some testing, or a reinstall of something, and wanted to stop Firewall and Virus scanner. Okay, so go and right click the BitDefender systray item and see if you can find "Exit." GONE! What, are you kidding me? Nope, its gone. Contact tech support, more time waste. Head for the BD center, Antivirus/Shield tab and de-select "real-time protection is enabled." BUT, if you REALLY want BD off during whatever you have to do, then:

1. "C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\vsserv.exe" /stop , with quotes (that is if your install is vanilla)

OH and then...

2. "C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\vsserv.exe" /start ,again, with quotes.

Finally, your note on how long it took for tech support to get back to you scares me. Again thanks for your notes, I'm going to get them copied down.

Tink

PS. We rarely if ever use INTERNET EXPLORER, so what is with a ****** error that says "Internet Explorer ****** Error"? Why is BD using IE in the first place? The last time I saw something that smacked of this type of thing was with McAfee which was using IE to send out information that I did not know it was trying to send out. I think this had something to do with sending some reporting that I did not know I could turn off in settings.

Hmmm...maybe I/we ought to look through BD settings to find out why it is using ****** in IE or just maybe someone from BD will tell us what ****** is being run and why?

• pcbugfixer
    Options

G'Day Tink,

Nice of you to have read the post and also taken the effort to add some meaningful notes.

So that the Forum Members and BD Support (who monitor some of these Topics and posts) and I, can see what it is that you need help with,

1. so that you will get a broader understanding of possible issues, I would ask you to read the "Pinned" Post I made on the general and various things that effect any software installation.

2. After you have read this, rather than add to this topic, please start a new Topic in "General Talk" and post your installation issues or other problems that you believe are being caused or relate to the BD 2009 ( ? which BD 2009, please - BDIS / BitDefender Internet Security or BDTS / BitDefender Total Security - 2009)

The reason I suggest a new topic is that no problem or issues, although similar, are in fact the same and it is better to handle them individually.

3. Also please tell us the OS (Operating System) BD?? 2009 is installed on !

Send me a PM (Private Message) and I will try to help with any issues.

BTW (By The Way) support from BD may be getting better, slowly but better, so I hear and see on some of the posts in this Forum.