Sytem Hangs At Startup And Shutdown/sleep

The Hang is constant at startup (on xp pro). My desktop and all other systray items load in like 3 seconds, then i get a 1 or so minute hang till Bitdefender shows up to the party. In this time if i start any program (including explorer) my system will lock up.

I have also found a error in event log :

Event Type: Error

Event Source: DCOM

Event Category: None

Event ID: 10010

Date: 3/4/2009

Time: 11:05:53 AM

User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Computer:

Description:

The server {73E709EA-5D93-4B2E-BBB0-99B7938DA9E4} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Don't know if its related.

Comments

• flandrei
    flandrei Bitdefender VPN Product Manager BD Staff

Hi there,

First we need to determine if this is caused by BitDefender, and from your description I kind of doubt it.

1. Reboot the PC in Safe Mode.(notice if the same hang occurs)

2. Go to Start->Run. Type services.msc and press Enter.

3. Doublclick on the BitDefender Virus Shield. Set it's startup type to Manual.

4. Reboot the PC in Normal Mode.

5. Check if the issue still occurs.

This will completely disable BitDefender so you will need to go back into Safe Mode and change the startup type of the Virus Shield to Automatic after you perform the above steps.

Now, if the issue occurs after all of the above, I will need to know if you can see the network icon in the right corner, next to the Windows clock when the system hangs, or it appears when it gets back to normal. Do you receive any errors related to svchost.exe while using the PC? Do you have any other security solutions installed? Do you have an external HDD connected to the PC at startup?

Thanks,

Florin