Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Vault

Options

Hi,

I would like to know how to retrieve a file put in a vault.

See picture attached, it seems I have only 2 choices: add file or destroy file !?

Thank you for your answer.

post-22332-1236373171_thumb.jpg

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Dear ap852,

You can't open files from in the BitDefender interface. Please go to start,my computer, normally you will find the BitDefender vault as a hard disk. The name corresponds with the name you gave to the BitDefender file vault. Open that so you can retrieve and open the files.

Kind regards,

Niels

• cbeiu
    Options

File vaults are designed to act like extra (virtual) drives in the system. Once you created a file vault and assigned a letter to it you will be able to access the vault drive from "My Computer" (you will notice a new drive with the letter that you assigned in BitDefender). Simply perform any file operations as you would on a regular drive.

For more information you can check this KB article

• For more information you can check this KB article

The doc is very useful.

File operations are handy from the explorer, but I can't manage to lock the vault from it:

method C doesn't work because "lock" is greyed out

method D doesn't work either "lock" is not greyed out but it makes a fileopen error (0x0...05)

method A and B work fine so I will use that.

thanks

Alain.

• Niels
    Options

Dear ap852,

Do you have opened any of the files that you have stored in the vault? If so that is the reason why you can't lock the vault again. About method C you are right that doesn't also work on my computer.

Kind regards,

Niels

• Dear ap852,

Do you have opened any of the files that you have stored in the vault? If so that is the reason why you can't lock the vault again. About method C you are right that doesn't also work on my computer.

Kind regards,

Niels

This looks like a good facility. I noticed that you cannot lock it even though no files in it are open, if Windows Explorer has the disk in its focus.

Questions:

1. How do you delete a vault?

2. Does increasing the number of characters in the password increase the security of the vault?

• I noticed that you cannot lock it even though no files in it are open, if Windows Explorer has the disk in its focus.

I can't lock it from the Explorer.

1. How do you delete a vault?

I can simply delete a vault created on my "desktop" ("delete" the focused icon), on the "desktop" or in the Explorer, once locked.

2. Does increasing the number of characters in the password increase the security of the vault?

google "safe password" for an answer on password in general :rolleyes:

Alain

• I can't lock it from the Explorer.

I can simply delete a vault created on my "desktop" ("delete" the focused icon), on the "desktop" or in the Explorer, once locked.

google "safe password" for an answer on password in general :rolleyes:

Alain

Are you XP or Vista? I am XP SP2 and the behavior seems different.

If I try to Lock a vault from BitDefender, it fails if I have a Windows Explorer window open that shows the files in the vault-drive. Once I click back to my C-drive, then I can lock the vault from BitDefender.

Also, once it is locked, it no longer appears anywhere in Windows Explorer, so I cannot delete it. I see the open vault as my "F" drive, but "F" goes away once I lock it from BitDefender

• Niels
    Options

Dear ap852,

Sorry, that I wasn't clear but like ronchicago said you shouldn't have minimized the explorer window of the file vault you have opened.

If you want to delete the file vault please do this:

Open BitDefender switch to advanced view,go to encryption section,uncheck file vault is enabled, click on yes. Now delete the vault file which is a .bvd file. If you forgot the location just search for *.bvd files. Check file vault when done and you can create a new file vault again.

Kind regards,

Niels

• Dear ap852,

Sorry, that I wasn't clear but like ronchicago said you shouldn't have minimized the explorer window of the file vault you have opened.

If you want to delete the file vault please do this:

Open BitDefender switch to advanced view,go to encryption section,uncheck file vault is enabled, click on yes. Now delete the vault file which is a .bvd file. If you forgot the location just search for *.bvd files. Check file vault when done and you can create a new file vault again.

Kind regards,

Niels

Thanks. That worked well - the two bvd files are in my "My Documents" and I turned off "File Vault" and deleted the first file/vault. I was surprised though, that,as a test, I was able to delete the other one my vault-files (bvd) even when it was locked by BitDefender AND "File Vault is enabled" - suggestion for your next release, perhaps.

• Niels
    Options

Dear ronchicago,

Glad that I could help you. That is a great suggestion. Can you please post in this topic? I am only a volunteer.

Kind regards,

Niels