Is Ther A 'clean Uninstall' For Bitdefender Total Security 2009?

I installed BitDefender Total Security 2009 in error.

I was trying to install BitDefender 2008 Internet Security for which I have a license. I was advised that there was an 'Update' which I installed but which turned out to be BitDefender Total Security 2009 for which my license was not valid. (they wanted $75 to 'upgrade' - no way). I tried to uninstall BD 2009, but it hung with 'services not available' or some such message. I had to end task to be able to shut down the laptop. When I started up again - BD2009 was still running, but the option to uninstall from the Start Programs area gave the message 'This action is only valid for products that are currently installed'. 'Control Panel Programs and Features Uninstall..' does not show BitDefender as an installed program, even though it is still running ok. SO I have no way of removing DB9.

How can I remove BitDefender Total Security 2009?

Thanks

Geoff

Comments

• I installed BitDefender Total Security 2009 in error.

I was trying to install BitDefender 2008 Internet Security for which I have a license. I was advised that there was an 'Update' which I installed but which turned out to be BitDefender Total Security 2009 for which my license was not valid. (they wanted $75 to 'upgrade' - no way). I tried to uninstall BD 2009, but it hung with 'services not available' or some such message. I had to end task to be able to shut down the laptop. When I started up again - BD2009 was still running, but the option to uninstall from the Start Programs area gave the message 'This action is only valid for products that are currently installed'. 'Control Panel Programs and Features Uninstall..' does not show BitDefender as an installed program, even though it is still running ok. SO I have no way of removing DB9.

How can I remove BitDefender Total Security 2009?

Thanks

Geoff

Yes, there is a removal tool that seems to get plenty of use.

Run it, reboot, run it again, and reboot.

Now, if it was me, I'd run a registry cleaner to get any remaining junk out. This is probably optional.

Tool: www.bitdefender.com/uninstall

I've done this (remove BD2009) so I could put 2008 back on. The process worked fine.

Fungus

• Yes, there is a removal tool that seems to get plenty of use.

Run it, reboot, run it again, and reboot.

Now, if it was me, I'd run a registry cleaner to get any remaining junk out. This is probably optional.

Tool: www.bitdefender.com/uninstall

I've done this (remove BD2009) so I could put 2008 back on. The process worked fine.

Fungus

Fungus - many thanks for your swift reply. I'll give it a try.

Geoff

This discussion has been closed.