Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Deep Scan Quits And System Reboots

Options

My HP Notebook is probably infected, but I cannot complete a full scan. Apparently, a quick scan has been accomplished.

When doing a deep scan, I don't see a blue screen crash, the notebook just reboots. I am never watching at the precise time these events occur. At first I thought the notebook was overheating from all the disk activity. It has quit on me in the past if I forgot and blocked the air exhaust vent.

When the scan quits there is nothing in the minidump folder.

I have another symptom. Using Internet Download Manager my target file downloads, but then I get an advice message that "Cannot start the virus checking program. The system cannot find the program.

I have been using ZoneAlarm, but just switched to Bit Defender. I also tried running a free program SuperAntiSpyware and it too quits without finishing.

I note that there might be a problem with Google's Desktop search file. I don't believe this file is encrypted, but I'll check that.

Comments

• To create the minidump you will need to go to Control Panel - System - Advanced - click on Settings for "Start-up and Recovery" and you will have there an option "Automatically restart" for System Failure - please uncheck it. Also make sure that the option "Write an event to the system log" is checked.

Uninstall SuperAntiSpyware and GoogleDesktop from the system because these are possible sources of conflict. Then run a new deep system scan and if you get a blue screen try searching for the minidump created in C:\Windows\Minidump after restarting.

Please send to BitDefender support that minidump and also the reports generated by the tools available in this article:

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#490

• librehombre
    edited May 2009
    Options
    To create the minidump you will need to go to Control Panel - System - Advanced - click on Settings for "Start-up and Recovery" and you will have there an option "Automatically restart" for System Failure - please uncheck it. Also make sure that the option "Write an event to the system log" is checked.

Uninstall SuperAntiSpyware and GoogleDesktop from the system because these are possible sources of conflict. Then run a new deep system scan and if you get a blue screen try searching for the minidump created in C:\Windows\Minidump after restarting.

Please send to BitDefender support that minidump and also the reports generated by the tools available in this article:

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#490

After checking the control panel settings were as you advised running deep scan crashes notebook and I do not get a minidump in the specified directory.

I downloaded the AVIS and GMER tools. Log file from running GMERis attached.

Question. Is it safe to work on the internet with the condition I am experiencing? I cannot run a scan or a deep scan without the system crashing. I tried running AVIS in scan mode and after running a little over two hours it found 32 files and fragments infected out of 106,724. Then it too crashed, freezing the notebook. I cannot be sure that any of the infected files were treated by AVIS.

Besides the apps you wanted me to delete I also deleted Iolo System Mechanic, thinking it may be causing a conflict because it does periodic scnas. The BD.sys file exceeds 92.77 mb. I need an email address to forward this file. The GMER data seems to upload ok.

In every case where I experienced a crash I checked for a dump file and never found such a file.

Some more info for what it is worth. I don't use this notebook except for emergencies. Right now I have a serious problem with my desktop which I think was caused by a Microsoft security update. The update has corrupted my XP system files in such a way that I am confronted with a logon screen demanding a password. I never assigned a password in the past and used the log on screen as a way to stop automatic booting without my knowledge.

I need my notebook to sort out this problem and try to keep up with correspondence. However, I may be making my problem worse going on line.

I was using Norton as my firewall/virus program but the subscription ran out while my notebook was off line. I don't like Norton products now so I did not want to renew my subscription. Since I had System Mechanic on my system I thought the daily scans this app does would be enough until I could decide on a replacement virus protection program. Apparently I could not have been more wrong.

The problem with my desktop might be caused by malware, but it seems unlikely a malware writer could insert his work into the official MS update regime. The update that I think caused the problem was MS08-069 XML core Services 4.0.

Now I see there is a very recent update, but I am wary of applying it to my notebook until I can study the issue a bit more. My notebook is crucial for me right now.

Where do I email the AVIS report?

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=5117" data-fileid="5117" rel="">GMER_log.log

• I need to make a correction and provide more info. I was not using Zone Alarm on this computer. I used Zone Alarm on my desktop HP not on this notebook. I had been using Norton 360 on this notebook, but the subscription ran out while my notebook was off line.

Yesterday I tried running Microsoft's Malware removal software. It ran for many hours, the last time I checked before going to bed it had checked 406,670 files in three hours and 40 minutes. and not found any infections. Except for the elapsed time, I do not believe those numbers. Anyway, I left it running and went to bed. Sometime overnight the system rebooted and froze. I did not see any notification about what happened or any reports. There is nothing in the crash dump folder.

• alexcrist
    Options

Hello librehombre,

Right click on My Computer (on Desktop), click Properties, go to Advanced -> Startup and Recovery (Settings) and uncheck the option called Automatically restart (under System failure).

Disabling this option will set your system not to automatically reboot should a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death... system failure) arises, but instead you will be able to see the blue screen, which might provide some information about why the system crashed.

After that, try to make a scan with BitDefender. When your system crashes and the BSOD appears, note the follwing information:

- the code error (it's written in CAPITAL LETTERS, somewhere at he top of the screen)

- file(s) which might have caused the failure (should be written on the bottom of the screen, under Technical details)

- the STOP error code, also written at the bottom of the screen.

Post these things back. I don't guarantee what they will show the exact cause of the problem, but it might give some clues about it.

Cris.

• Hello librehombre,

Right click on My Computer (on Desktop), click Properties, go to Advanced -> Startup and Recovery (Settings) and uncheck the option called Automatically restart (under System failure).

Disabling this option will set your system not to automatically reboot should a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death... system failure) arises, but instead you will be able to see the blue screen, which might provide some information about why the system crashed.

After that, try to make a scan with BitDefender. When your system crashes and the BSOD appears, note the follwing information:

- the code error (it's written in CAPITAL LETTERS, somewhere at he top of the screen)

- file(s) which might have caused the failure (should be written on the bottom of the screen, under Technical details)

- the STOP error code, also written at the bottom of the screen.

Post these things back. I don't guarantee what they will show the exact cause of the problem, but it might give some clues about it.

Cris.

Actually I have had the system set so it will not automatically reboot, but it reboots anyway. The only time I have been watching when a crash occurs the BSOD flashes by rapidly and the reboot starts right up. So that will not help us I am afraid.

This is a really intractible problem.

• alexcrist
    Options

That's weird. I never heard about this type of behavior (ignoring that "automatically reboot" option). Are you sure it didn't change back to it's default settings, by any chance?

Also, try this: reboot your system, press F8 multiple types until the Boot menu appears, and try to select from there the option called Disable automatic restart on system failure:

post-60-1241338900_thumb.jpg

Cris.

• That's weird. I never heard about this type of behavior (ignoring that "automatically reboot" option). Are you sure it didn't change back to it's default settings, by any chance?

Also, try this: reboot your system, press F8 multiple types until the Boot menu appears, and try to select from there the option called Disable automatic restart on system failure:

post-60-1241338900_thumb.jpg

Cris.

Hi Chris,

I am woking with a new theory. This notebook is getiing a bit old now, I have never replaced the battery. I noticed that the battery charging light (yellow) stays on all the time. The indication is that the battery has 0% charge. I am connected to the ac mains. I am not fond of this notebook and don't really use it so the operating controls are new to me every time I fire it up. Months go by and I forget.

I think when the system crashes it is because of a power problem associated with the battery. There is no way to write the BSOD because the battery has 0 charge. I don't think the crash behavior has anything to do with BitDefender. To test this theory I installed Zone Alarm and after running a deepscan with ZA for over 6 hours it too crashed. Likewise, Microsoft's Malware Removal Tool. Running the disk for several hours is just too much stress.

The good news is that ZA had checked almost all the disk files before crashing and only found 1 virus, which was removed. There were numerous tracking cookie alerts, but those were silenced also. A difference I note is that ZA did not insist on another deep scan. BD is very firm about this.

I will take the notebook to the shop tomorrow and see if they can find a replacement battery for me here in Mexico. If not, I will order a new battery from Amazon. I hope a battery can be located here in Mexico.

Once I get straightened out and have a notebook that is working properly I will reinstall BD and we will take it from there. Actually, I want to upgrade my BD to the version with a firewall. I'll have to take that up with customer service.