Brand New Av Ratings Available

Today I received my June 2009 issue of Consumer Reports, it rates computer security software again, just like last year.

As you recall last year, BDIS-2008 was a big winner in the CR ratings, that is how I decided to buy BD, 2008 that is.

Realizing that software changes faster than lawnmowers do, CR looked again at computer security software again this year and I'm glad they did. The more organizations testing AV the better.

Here is the list in order of Best to Worst.

1. Eset Smart Security, rated at 72

2. McAfee internet security, rated at 71

3. Microsoft Windows Live OneCare, rated at 70 (soon to be discontinued)

4. Symantec Norton Internet Security, rated at 70

5. Kaspersky I.S., rated at 68

6. BitDefender I.S., rated at 66

7. Trend Micro I.S., rated at 65

8. F-Secure I.S., rated at 51

9. CA IS Suite Plus. rated at 49

10. Checkpoint ZoneAlarm IS Suite, rated at 48

11. PC Tools I.S., rated at 47 (don't buy this one, ho ho ho)

Even more interesting is that CR suggests that installing three FREE programs (build your own IS Suite) is even better that any of the above products.

What are they?

Avira AntiVir Personal (antivirus) rates at 75

Microsoft Windows Defender (antibadware) rates at 60

Spamfighter Standard (antispam) rates at 94

These three together rate the CR BEST BUY blue checkmark! The best of those they tested.

One could argue that free IS software might work great but will have poor customer support. Right, that's what I'm getting now from BD that I paid for. The only useful info I get on BD is from this forum.

Pick up an issue of Consumer Reports and check this out. In that issue you can also read about House Paint, Knives, and Toilet Paper.

On the last page is a pic of an advertisement for "Non-Drowsy Formula" Sleeping Pills and another for a light that helps you read books while sleeping. Ha ha ha.

It looks like you will have to wait another month for Hearing Aids ratings.

Fungus

Comments

• Today I received my June 2009 issue of Consumer Reports, it rates computer security software again, just like last year.

As you recall last year, BDIS-2008 was a big winner in the CR ratings, that is how I decided to buy BD, 2008 that is.

Realizing that software changes faster than lawnmowers do, CR looked again at computer security software again this year and I'm glad they did. The more organizations testing AV the better.

Here is the list in order of Best to Worst.

1. Eset Smart Security, rated at 72

2. McAfee internet security, rated at 71

3. Microsoft Windows Live OneCare, rated at 70 (soon to be discontinued)

4. Symantec Norton Internet Security, rated at 70

5. Kaspersky I.S., rated at 68

6. BitDefender I.S., rated at 66

7. Trend Micro I.S., rated at 65

8. F-Secure I.S., rated at 51

9. CA IS Suite Plus. rated at 49

10. Checkpoint ZoneAlarm IS Suite, rated at 48

11. PC Tools I.S., rated at 47 (don't buy this one, ho ho ho)

Even more interesting is that CR suggests that installing three FREE programs (build your own IS Suite) is even better that any of the above products.

What are they?

Avira AntiVir Personal (antivirus) rates at 75

Microsoft Windows Defender (antibadware) rates at 60

Spamfighter Standard (antispam) rates at 94

These three together rate the CR BEST BUY blue checkmark! The best of those they tested.

One could argue that free IS software might work great but will have poor customer support. Right, that's what I'm getting now from BD that I paid for. The only useful info I get on BD is from this forum.

Pick up an issue of Consumer Reports and check this out. In that issue you can also read about House Paint, Knives, and Toilet Paper.

On the last page is a pic of an advertisement for "Non-Drowsy Formula" Sleeping Pills and another for a light that helps you read books while sleeping. Ha ha ha.

It looks like you will have to wait another month for Hearing Aids ratings.

Fungus

I have to question CRs ratings. For example, the Antivirus detection rating for Kaspersky is an empty circle. The Antivirus detection rating for ZoneAlarm is 1/2 black. My issue with CR is that ZoneAlarm uses Kasperky's antivirus scanning engine. So, how can antivirus detection be rated differently? The other issue I have with the article is that there are no firewall ratings. Most "suites" have firewall protections in place. To fully rate a suite, I think this needs to be addressed too.

• I have to question CRs ratings. For example, the Antivirus detection rating for Kaspersky is an empty circle. The Antivirus detection rating for ZoneAlarm is 1/2 black. My issue with CR is that ZoneAlarm uses Kasperky's antivirus scanning engine. So, how can antivirus detection be rated differently? The other issue I have with the article is that there are no firewall ratings. Most "suites" have firewall protections in place. To fully rate a suite, I think this needs to be addressed too.

Hi RFT:

I have no information about BD actually being Kaspersky under a different name and screen appearance. If this is correct I wonder why I didn't buy Kas rather than BD? :-(

I don't ever believe any single AV rating, I like to read them all and compare their results. Last year (2008) CR strongly recommended BD-2008. I bought it and it works fine on my main computer (it cannot tolerate BD 2009). This year CR doesn't recommend BD 2009 and the computer I have 2009 installed on has many problems. In my experience CR is "right on target" with their observations of AV software.

Fortunately we have many products to choose from, we have forums where we can discuss our opinions, and we can read many and various reviews.

Thanks for the reply,

Fungus

• My issue with CR is that ZoneAlarm uses Kasperky's antivirus scanning engine. So, how can antivirus detection be rated differently?

Because ZoneAlarm uses an older version of KAV's engine (v7, if I'm not mistaking). And since KAV will update it's engines only when they release a new version of the product, then between version there will be detection differences.

BitDefender, on the other hand, is contantly updating the engines. So, basically, all BitDefender versions have the same engine, updated through Live Update, therefore detection will be at the same level between different versions.

fungus: I haven't the slightest idea how you came to the conclusion that "BD is actually KAV under a different name".

Cris.

• Hi

I am sure that BD has a stunning anti-virus and an excellent firewall. However if the BD team could improve anti-spam they would score more points for it. This is where BD is losing points.

Has BD improved the anti-spam engine in 2010 version of it?

Hemanth

• Because ZoneAlarm uses an older version of KAV's engine (v7, if I'm not mistaking). And since KAV will update it's engines only when they release a new version of the product, then between version there will be detection differences.

BitDefender, on the other hand, is contantly updating the engines. So, basically, all BitDefender versions have the same engine, updated through Live Update, therefore detection will be at the same level between different versions.

fungus: I haven't the slightest idea how you came to the conclusion that "BD is actually KAV under a different name".

Cris.

Thanks. That could explain the ratings difference. I think I will bring up this issue on Zone Alarms forums and see what they have tgo say.

• Has BD improved the anti-spam engine in 2010 version of it?

All BitDefender engines (including anti-malware, antispam, antiphishing, behavioral scanner, etc...) are constantly updated through Live Update, not only when a new version (like 2010) is released.

Cris.

• All BitDefender engines (including anti-malware, antispam, antiphishing, behavioral scanner, etc...) are constantly updated through Live Update, not only when a new version (like 2010) is released.

Cris.

Hello Cris. :)

So if all BitDefender engines are uptated in the same way; even those of the older versions, what are the improvements of the new antivirus suite releases? You mean updates of antivirus engine only, so for example firewall module will be brand new in bd 2010?

Thanks

• The engines are updated for all versions.

However, new modules are not added to older versions (like the Behavioral Scanner, which doesn't exist in any version since 2009). Also, existing modules might be completely overwritten and reorganized (like the Firewall module which was completely redesigned since the 2008 version). Other improvements include interface fixes, speed improvements, self defense, etc...

Basically, detection rates are identical. Other product features, whatever they are, are version-specific.

Cris.