Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender 2010 & Realvnc 4.5.1

Options

I've been using BD since 3 years ago and never had this problem. Upgraded to BD Total Security 2010 and now RealVNC does not work.

I connect to my office using Cisco VPN Client 5.0.05.0290 and that works fine, because the Network & Communications guy detect my connection. But when I try to run the RealVNC it just goes on and on until it says TIMEOUT.

As soon as I disabled the BD Firewall completely, it connects immediately.

I tried adding rules, resetting rules and adding them again, with no luck.

This never happened with BD 2009 or BD 2008.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Comments

• Hello rpareja,

We've recently tested Realvnc 4.5.1 in the following configuration:

- connect to office using Microsoft VPN Client

- the VPN adapter was set to SAFE Trust Level and Stealth REMOTE (check this in Firewall - Network tab)

- started VNC Viewer, entered IP of the computer from the office network

- Connect, entered user and password and went through

Besides using the Cisco VPN Client, are there any differences in your setup?

• As for differences in my setup... it would only be the connection itself. Instead of the Microsoft VPN Client we "have" to use (for security purposes already in place) the Cisco VPN Client.

And the trust level was at FULL TRUST. No luck.

Set it now at SAFE. No luck.

Whenever I click the existing VNC connection (or if I try creating a new one) the client says:

"Attempting to connect to host..."

After 30 seconds or so, it says:

"failed to connect: Connection timeout (10060)"

So far the only way I can make everything work fine is completely disabling the BD firewall.

And just for general information:

- I disable the firewall and connected to my office.

- Reenabled the firewall

- After 2-3 seconds the connected session freezes completely.

Thanks for your help.

• Thanks for the info.

It would seem that packets are treated somewhat differently by the driver when the Cisco VPN Client is used. We tested with it, but i think we used an older version. We'll have to look into that.

As a workaround, could you please try this: if you get the same IP when you connect to the office, add that IP in the Firewall - Network- Zones under the VPN adapter. If you get IP's in a certain class, you could add the whole subnet like in this example - 192.168.0.0/24, where 24 is the mask. In case you don't know how to calculate, it goes like this, for a class C address range.

for 255.255.0.0 you have /16

for 255.255.255.0 you have /24

for 255.255.128 you have /25

See if this works.

• I do get a fixed IP (192.168.25.118).

The workaround suggested didn't work.

I am attaching a printscreen of what the settings are.

Notice that both networks are marked as FULL TRUST.

I also tried with telnet to my destination ip inside the office network on port 5900, and it didn't work either.

post-12632-1250888271_thumb.jpg

• Hi Rpareja,

Please post a pic of the rules tab. It sounds like the port that realVNC uses is still blocked by BD. Have you tried port 5800 instead. You can change the port that RealVNC uses and it may not be what you think it is. You don't have another firewall program running do you? :rolleyes:

BrianNetAdmin

• I did try it on port 5800... nothing.

I am trying to connect now from my home: 192.168.1.101

When the Cisco VPN Client connects, I get assigned a fixed IP: 192.168.25.118

There is a rule (tunnel or something like that) that only permits my connection using ports 5900 and 5800 to my desktop: 10.12.0.103

The guys from Communications and Security are monitoring this and they say that from their standpoint of view, everything should work.

And remember that I didn't have any problem at all with BitDefender Total Security 2009, and neither I have it now as long as I disabled my firewall completely.

Thanks for your help,

Roberto.

post-12632-1251295641_thumb.jpg

post-12632-1251295669_thumb.jpg

• Please set the "increased log verbosity" option in the firewall module, try to connect again and afterward view and save the firewall log.

Don't forget to uncheck "increase log verbosity" when done.

Post here the last couple of lines in the log. They should contain information about blocked packets.

Also try to connect with stealth mode completely disabled. Disable stealth mode on th vpn adapter too.

• Did it work with stealth mode off? Did you set stealth mode off on both adapters?

From the log it seems that the only thing that is blocking packets is stealth mode.

• No it didn't work either. I don't know what else we could try or verify.

As soon as I disable my Bitdefender Firewall completely, it works fine.

Thanks,