Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Security Update For Windows Xp (kb971486)

Options

Hello, and Thanks for Looking At My Problem(s);

After downloading the recommended security updates for Windows XP on Patch Tuesday - 10/13/09 - they all installed successfully except the security update (KB971486), which has to do with something called Elevation of Privilege.

After trying to install again, both the Microsoft Update site and the Bitdefender Vulnerability Checking Module claim that it installed successfully - yet additional checks with both tools claim that this Critical Update has not installed.

The result is: that upon starting or restarting my computer, the Automatic Update feature of Windows XP notifies me that I have an update to install (it claims it is downloaded already, and I only need to run the installation procedure); then it goes through the motions of installing and claims it is successful - yet on further inquiry, it claims that I still need to install it.

I have had Bitdefender Internet Security 2010 for almost 2 months now, and did not have any problems with last month's Patch Tuesday Windows XP security updates - which makes me think there is something about this particular update which is having a conflict with BIS 2010.

In addition, I have noticed since I've installed Bitdefender Internet Security 2010, that I can no longer successfully perform a System Restore. I get the message "Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored." A check with other forums suggested that there is a problem with the security suite not allowing changes to be made to its files, thus preventing a succesful restoration to an earlier time.

Any suggestions on how to solve these issues would be most appreciated.

Thanking you in advance,

Fred5000

P.S. - I have run a Deep System Scan, as well as MBAM and Spybot scans, and no malware has been detected.

Comments

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello Fred5000,

It seems that this sittuation is not determined by BitDefender . Unfortunately, I have this issue as well and I can assure you that after stopping BitDefender and trying to install the update, the same warning occurred from Windows. If you want, please try the next workaround:

1. Download the update from here.

2. After the download is complete start your computer in Safe Mode and try to install it. Basically, in Safe Mode most of the services or processes are stopped and in this way you will know for sure, that there is no other application that may interfere during the installation of this update.

3. Start your computer in Normal Mode and look if the same issue occurs.

Thank you .

• Fred5000
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hello Alex -

Thank you for the quick response. You were right about this problem having nothing to do with Bitdefender. I have since received a message from Microsoft Support that seems to have solved the problem. It is as follows:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1: Remove KB971486 in Add or Remove Programs

========================================

1. Click "Start", click "Run", type: appwiz.cpl in the Open box, and then click "OK".

Note: Be sure to have "Show updates" checked (if Service Pack 2 for XP is installed).

2. Look for updates KB971486.

3. Please highlight and remove it.

4. Restart Windows as required.

Step 2: Reinstall KB971486

====================

1. Please download the file from the following link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/4...486-x86-ENU.exe

2. Save the update to C: drive. (Do not run the update directly)

3. Click Start->Run, type: "C:\WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe /overwriteoem" (without quotations) and then press Enter to install the update.

There is a space between "C:\WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe" and "/overwriteoem”.

After this, restart the computer and then try to visit the Windows Update site to check if the Update KB971486 is still listed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although the Windows Update reminder shield may pop up in the taskbar on the first restart, when you click it to download and/or install the update it finally disappears. When you look for the update in the Add/Remove Programs section, it shows that it has been successfully installed. Finally, when you go to the Windows/Microsoft Update site, it does not indicate that you need to download or install the update. It's too bad Microsoft didn't test this update as thoroughly as they could have, since I have seen many people who have had the same problem. But that's Microsoft for you...

P.S. I would still like some help regarding the System Restore function. If you could provide any help in this area I would be most grateful.

Thanks again.

• Hello Alex -

Thank you for the quick response. You were right about this problem having nothing to do with Bitdefender. I have since received a message from Microsoft Support that seems to have solved the problem. It is as follows:

Step 1: Remove KB971486 in Add or Remove Programs

========================================

1. Click "Start", click "Run", type: appwiz.cpl in the Open box, and then click "OK".

Note: Be sure to have "Show updates" checked (if Service Pack 2 for XP is installed).

2. Look for updates KB971486.

3. Please highlight and remove it.

4. Restart Windows as required.

Step 2: Reinstall KB971486

====================

1. Please download the file from the following link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/4...486-x86-ENU.exe

2. Save the update to C: drive. (Do not run the update directly)

3. Click Start->Run, type: "C:\WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe /overwriteoem" (without quotations) and then press Enter to install the update.

There is a space between "C:\WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe" and "/overwriteoem”.

After this, restart the computer and then try to visit the Windows Update site to check if the Update KB971486 is still listed.

Although the Windows Update reminder shield may pop up in the taskbar on the first restart, when you click it to download and/or install the update it finally disappears. When you look for the update in the Add/Remove Programs section, it shows that it has been successfully installed. Finally, when you go to the Windows/Microsoft Update site, it does not indicate that you need to download or install the update. It's too bad Microsoft didn't test this update as thoroughly as they could have, since I have seen many people who have had the same problem. But that's Microsoft for you...

P.S. I would still like some help regarding the System Restore function. If you could provide any help in this area I would be most grateful.

Thanks again.

well i hope you got it sorted,i didn't have an issue with this update,installed without issue on o/s xp pro sp2,but the issue is present on a different pc,o/s media center sp2, it will install then bd tries to install it, resulting in it being un-installed again,i did also have a update issue with the malicious software removal tool using vista h.p.sp2 x64, bd was the culprit for sure , as it failed first attempt,so i disabled the vulnerabilities module and it searched(window update) found and installed it without a hiccup,

• well i hope you got it sorted,i didn't have an issue with this update,installed without issue on o/s xp pro sp2,but the issue is present on a different pc,o/s media center sp2, it will install then bd tries to install it, resulting in it being un-installed again,i did also have a update issue with the malicious software removal tool using vista h.p.sp2 x64, bd was the culprit for sure , as it failed first attempt,so i disabled the vulnerabilities module and it searched(window update) found and installed it without a hiccup,

Davey -

Good point. I have the vulnerabilities module disabled and am leaving it off indefinitely. (I had disabled it before I ran the above solution, so it well could have been a factor.) It seems to be a bit useless anyway - perhaps best suited to people who are just starting out. I'm tempted to turn it on to see what it says, but I'd hate to open up a can of worms - like they say: if it works, don't fix it. I'm using XP Home edition SP3, and that may be a factor as well. As for blame, there's plenty to go around, and I'm sure no entity is guiltless here - just part of the game I guess. I know that many other people have had this problem, yet I don't know if it is just people using Bitdefender exclusively. We'll see what happens with next month's Patch Tuesday. Stay tuned...