Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Unjustified Vulnerability Error

Installed antivirus 2010 on an XP PC, but it reports Windows Live Messenger as outdated, which it is not. It says that the installed version is 4,7,0,3000 but I am using version 14.0.8064.0206. I think the old version is the one supplied as a optional install feature with windows XP? reported it support, but no reply as yet.

Comments

• Hello 32crewe ,

We are currently investigating this issue . In order to be able to help you please go to the next location :C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010 look after the file called "applatest.xml" , upload it on :http://www.sendspace.com/ then post here the download link .

Thank you .

• Installed antivirus 2010 on an XP PC, but it reports Windows Live Messenger as outdated, which it is not. It says that the installed version is 4,7,0,3000 but I am using version 14.0.8064.0206. I think the old version is the one supplied as a optional install feature with windows XP? reported it support, but no reply as yet.

That's my problem too. Exactly!

• Hello 32crewe ,

We are currently investigating this issue . In order to be able to help you please go to the next location :C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010 look after the file called "applatest.xml" , upload it on :http://www.sendspace.com/ then post here the download link .

Thank you .

Having the same issue (annoying indeed to an OCD person like myself -- I cant make the warning go away) -- uploaded the requested file - http://www.sendspace.com/file/2u1ij7

• Hello thatchimp,

Thank you for the sample. My colleagues are already working on solving this issue and most probably a fix will be released in a week or two . We will keep you posted as soon as the update will be available .

Thank you .

• Good to know the issue is being fixed.

However, will an option to hide certain updates be made available? This would be handy for two reasons:

1. If another wrong update was given - the user could hide the update.

2. If the user didn't want to update the software - the user could hide the update -

Although I do not reccomend this for critical updates, sometimes software releases new versions which other users find too different from previous versions, too bloated with new unwanted/unneeded stuff or possibly bugs or problems.

• Hello Tech Support, I am having the same issue on two PC's, and have uploaded the applatest.xml file. Thank you much for your assistance! Dan

• Hello Tech Support, I am having the same issue on two PC's, and have uploaded the applatest.xml file. Thank you much for your assistance! Dan
    When is this gonna be resolved cause got the same problem.i HAVE UPLOADED MY FILE ASWELL.

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=5494" data-fileid="5494" rel="">applatest.xml

• :(

Still no answer???????

• I had to give this one a bump. I know it isn't a priority compared to some others, but it really should be fixed. ;)

• Agreed,

Tech Support Dept. -- What is the latest status on this problem? I have recently purchased BitDefender 3yrs for 3 PC's. Does this same problem occur with Vista 64? I am currently using XP Pro SP3.

I look forward to your timely resolution. Thank you much! -- Dan

-----------------

Hello Tech Support, I am having the same issue on two PC's, and have uploaded the applatest.xml file. Thank you much for your assistance! Dan

-----------------

I had to give this one a bump. I know it isn't a priority compared to some others, but it really should be fixed. ;)
  • Hi, in vista x64bit and i would imagine the 32bit , the messenger bug, doe's not occure as messenger is not shipped with vista hp,x64, but there is a reference to download it,unlike xp,where it ships with it,and even if it ain't installed you still get the same dumb outdated warning,

• Although I have the latest version of MSN Live Upadate, BD finds only the old msn (I have both installed) and prompts for an update.

I want to keep both versions of msn as the old one is a "safe mode" msn and comes quite handy at times.

Is there anyway to "tell" BD that the new MSN Live Update is already installed so it stops bothering me or at least to make it dissapear from my vulnerabilities list?

replies here and at pmexis@hotmail.com

• In Windows XP Home Edition, removing the 4.7 version of Windows Messenger from Add/Remove Windows Components in Add or Remove Programs was not sufficient.

However, hacking the registry got the Windows Messenger vulnerability to quit showing up.

Perform a search in regedit for 4,7,0,3000 and delete the two keys containing it. In my case, they were:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{5945c046-1e7d-11d1-bc44-00c04fd912be}]

and

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{5945c046-1e7d-11d1-bc44-00c04fd912be}]

Hope this helps other OCD's out there. B)

• I think a week or two must be a month or 3.Come on support live up to our expectations please.

• Hello all,

We are aware of this issue and at the moment we are working on a fix. Unfortuantely, we do not have an exact date when the update with the resolution will be released, but we will keep you posted as soon as this will happen.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this sittuation might have caused.

Thank you .

• I have the last version of Windlows Live Messenger 14.0.8089.0726 installed but BD2010 is not able to recognize it ! See attached .pdf file . I have already unstalles the Windows Messenger 4,7,0,3000.

Thanks for help,

Oscar

• After installing and running Bitdefender 2010 I get a issue stating Windows Live Messenger outdated? When I attempt to fix the issue it states Windows Live Messenger installed version 4,7,0,3000. Latest Version 14.0.8089.0726. I have run Windows update but I still get this error? Any ideas?

• Same error for me, I've the latest version of Live Messenger; wouldn't know where Bitdefender TS2010 is getting the information from but somewhere there's a leftover from the old messenger, but where? Does any know?

• As I mentioned previously, any thoughts of adding an ignore update while your trying to find a fix.

I know some people don't like upgrading certain programs - sometimes the latest versions have issues, or become bloated and so people would like to ignore the update - a box to to select it and then click ignore could solve peoples issues.

• hello,

This also started here today on my computer. here is the link for the file requested for analysis: http://www.sendspace.com/file/za8k6m

Fida

Hello 32crewe ,

Thank you .

• In Windows XP Home Edition, removing the 4.7 version of Windows Messenger from Add/Remove Windows Components in Add or Remove Programs was not sufficient.

However, hacking the registry got the Windows Messenger vulnerability to quit showing up.

Perform a search in regedit for 4,7,0,3000 and delete the two keys containing it. In my case, they were:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{5945c046-1e7d-11d1-bc44-00c04fd912be}]

and

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{5945c046-1e7d-11d1-bc44-00c04fd912be}]

Hope this helps other OCD's out there. B)

Did delete these keys and now the WL Messenger application does not show up anymore on the vulnerability list!

• Good to see a fix - but i'm having to reformat my PC after trying to mess registry keys for an unrelated incident and so I don't think I'm gonna follow that one lol.

We need a proper fix really.

• When can I expect a fix for this? It has been opened for weeks? :mellow:

• When can I expect a fix for this? It has been opened for weeks? :mellow:

probably in the next bd(bd2011) maybe,or just before it ,lol

i have a similar problem, but i don't even have windows messenger(ships with xp pro) installed, never

mind the windows live version,but it (bd)thinks it is,i have found the best solution is to disable the vulnerabilities

module completely,not just for that reason but the other one is that some windows updates are prevented from installing

by it also,i have proof of this,it is also responsible for a lot of Internet activity and system resources too, as it keeps the windows update process active,connected to lime light networks llc( a content delivery service) was used by Microsoft maybe it still is, but bd also use their services too,kill the module problem solved(It was not needed anyway)

• Hello all,

This issue will be fixed in our next major update, which will be released in approximately 2 weeks .

We are sorry for the inconveniences caused by this sittuation.

Thank you .

• When does this fix become available? This error is very annoying.

• MSN Messenger Update has been absent for a while now in my Vulnerability List. It is still absent after this Major Update.

• This is still a problem after the major update on my machine :(

• This is still a problem after the major update on my machine :(

Me too! It did not fix this problem on my machine.

• I still have a problem with the Vulnerability check. It shows Microsoft Update failed and Windows Messenger failed.

• hello,

This also started here today on my computer. here is the link for the file requested for analysis: http://www.sendspace.com/file/za8k6m

Fida

While it may well stop it being reported by BitBeta-Defender2010, i don't see why a product user who doesn't want this to be displayed should have to edit the registry to archive this

the vulnerability check module is quite useless anyway, it's not updated correctly anyhow,as my screen shot shows

plus the 'ship's with win xp o/s messenger 4.7' is a different product than the 'windows live' product that it says is out of date,so technically that is incorrect and misleading too

my advice to people who like me use xp o/s, and don't use or want windows live products on our pc would be to simply disable the module,

It was also found to be responsible for increased Internet traffic as i will have the windows update process running more or less all the time, and i know it would connect to a content delivery service (LimeLight Networks LLC ) as service that has/is used by Microsoft

here is my other post of this subject:>>>>>LINK>>>>>

• While it may well stop it being reported by BitBeta-Defender2010, i don't see why a product user who doesn't want this to be displayed should have to edit the registry to archive this

the vulnerability check module is quite useless anyway, it's not updated correctly anyhow,as my screen shot shows

plus the 'ship's with win xp o/s messenger 4.7' is a different product than the 'windows live' product that it says is out of date,so technically that is incorrect and misleading too

my advice to people who like me use xp o/s, and don't use or want windows live products on our pc would be to simply disable the module,

It was also found to be responsible for increased Internet traffic as i will have the windows update process running more or less all the time, and i know it would connect to a content delivery service (LimeLight Networks LLC ) as service that has/is used by Microsoft

here is my other post of this subject:>>>>>LINK>>>>>

well i found another way of getting rid of the annoying windows live messenger OUTDATED message without any editing of your registry,(i get bored)

Simple really involves the editing(in safe mode) of 2 xml files, worked fine for me, Before:post-14196-1257781612_thumb.jpg

After:post-14196-1257781677_thumb.jpg

• ... hacking the registry got the Windows Messenger vulnerability to quit showing up. Perform a search in regedit for 4,7,0,3000 and delete the two keys containing it. In my case, they were:

and

This worked for me (XP Professional 32)

• This is pathetic that end users need to hack registries to fix a problem that should be fixed by the product manufacturer. :huh:

• This is pathetic that end users need to hack registries to fix a problem that should be fixed by the product manufacturer. :huh:

So true. I had lots of problems with BD 2009 that went unresolved. After numerous reboots, uninstalls, installs, patches etc the solution they suggested was install BD 2010. I installed a competitor's product on a trial basis instead as I wanted to make sure BD 2010 didn't have as many issues as BD 2009. Looks like I won't be installing BD 2010 any time soon.

For my 2 year 3pc subscription, I got 2 weeks of protection and lots of headaches. I felt like a beta tester. Very unhappy with my Bitdefender experience.

• This worked for me (XP Professional 32)

Oh well i took the same root as u and it worked for me aswel.Pitty we had to go to such lenghts to regedit thow. :(

• I have had the same problem but with skype... The version i have is newer than what the update says is the latest version. Also "other microsoft updates" and "critical microsoft updates" keep failing... Anything i can do about it?

• I have had the same problem but with skype... The version i have is newer than what the update says is the latest version. Also "other microsoft updates" and "critical microsoft updates" keep failing... Anything i can do about it? I have XP 2007.