Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Antivirus Question

Options

I would like to know what Quarantine means when it comes to AntiVirus software. Where does the file go, why is it put there, what happens to it once it's there, and can I get it back out if I have some reason to?

Thanks,

Carol

Comments

• maximus
    Options

1. The Quarantine is a place where the virus is placed by the AV.

2. You can restore the virus from Quarantine

3. If the virus is in quarantine it can`t harm your pc.

4. the virus is moved in quarantine to minimize the infection(his action)

This is not an expert definition but you can make an impression about the quarantine.

• C-1000
    Options

This is not an expert definition but you can make an impression about the quarantine.

Thanks Cat.

• C-1000
    Options

Actually, Cat, so that my earlier reply to your post doesn't leave the wrong impression, I need to add that I know that Quarantine generally means "isolate due to sickness." I wanted a little more specific information from the Moderator regarding how quarantined files are treated within BitDefender. Thanks for trying to pitch hit for them until they get back, though. ;)

• Actually, Cat, so that my earlier reply to your post doesn't leave the wrong impression, I need to add that I know that Quarantine generally means "isolate due to sickness." I wanted a little more specific information from the Moderator regarding how quarantined files are treated within BitDefender. Thanks for trying to pitch hit for them until they get back, though. ;)

Catalin's explanation is pretty much the right answer. Quarantine is a special folder, were nor other process except the AV nor the user can acces the file. It is the safest way to isolate a suspicious or an infected file.

Andrei

• C-1000
    Options
    Catalin's explanation is pretty much the right answer. Quarantine is a special folder, were nor other process except the AV nor the user can acces the file. It is the safest way to isolate a suspicious or an infected file.

Andrei

Thanks Andrei-- I didn't know whether a file that is suspicious (or infected) would have a chance to do any damage before it hit Quarantine. (I still don't, and it may just depend on how it is infected.) But once it's in Quarantine, does it get fixed while it's there? Or does BD just isolate it so it can't spread its cooties.

• As far as I know, in version 11, after each update, the quarantine will be scanned.

Well if the file is detected by BD from the beginning as suspicious or infected, it wouldn't have time to make any harm, if it's moved to the quarantine. However, there is the chance that BD doesn't detect the file at all, which may lead to system damage, once executed. If you have suspicious files, move them to quarantine, and send them to the labs. If it is a new worm/trojan/virus, the detection will be added. Else, you would safelly restore the file back.

Andrei

• C-1000
    Options
    As far as I know, in version 11, after each update, the quarantine will be scanned.

Well if the file is detected by BD from the beginning as suspicious or infected, it wouldn't have time to make any harm, if it's moved to the quarantine. However, there is the chance that BD doesn't detect the file at all, which may lead to system damage, once executed. If you have suspicious files, move them to quarantine, and send them to the labs. If it is a new worm/trojan/virus, the detection will be added. Else, you would safelly restore the file back.

Andrei

Okay, thanks! I will check the help file within BD and see how to move a file into BD Quarantine folder, I suspect it's just a right-click or something.

Carol

• Hi, Carol!

To add a file to quarantine, all you have to do is click the "+" button near the delete one (the "-" button). A dialog will appear, which will let you browse the files you wish to add.

Andrei

• alexcrist
    Options
    To add a file to quarantine, all you have to do is click the "+" button near the delete one (the "-" button). A dialog will appear, which will let you browse the files you wish to add.

Besides what Andrei said, you can also add something to quarantine by Drag'n'Drop-ing the file into the Quarantine List. ;)

Also, you can set BitDefender to automatically move the file to Quarantine when it finds an infected/suspected file in Realtime protection or On-Demand scanning.

Cris.

• C-1000
    Options
    Hi, Carol!

Andrei

Thanks Andrei--

I could find this out the long way, but how do you get TO the Quarantine screen, and are the plus and minus signs you're referring to located in there? So sorry, but all this is really new to me. :huh:

• alexcrist
    Options

Hi Carol,

To get to the Quarantine, open BD Management Console, click on Antivirus and you'll see there a tab named Quarantine.

Cris.

• Niels
    Options

Hello Carol

You can also drag an drop a particular file. So you don't have to press on the +-icon when you are in the quarantaine section. To do that first you have to select the file which you want to quarantaine by pressing the leftclicking on the file and release your leftmousebutton when you are in the quarantaine section. After you done that you will see the file is gone and viewable in the quarantaine section.

Regards

Niels

• C-1000
    Options
    Hello Carol

You can also drag an drop a particular file. So you don't have to press on the +-icon when you are in the quarantaine section. To do that first you have to select the file which you want to quarantaine by pressing the leftclicking on the file and release your leftmousebutton when you are in the quarantaine section. After you done that you will see the file is gone and viewable in the quarantaine section.

Regards

Niels

Hi--

Well, I must have done something wrong, LOL. Through Windows Explorer, I had a file I didn't care about on that screen, and then launched BD "Quarantine" window. I drag/dropped the file into the Quarantine window and that was all fine. Then I clicked the minus button above the Quarantine window, and the file name disappeared off the Quarantine list screen. I checked back into the folder where the file had been kept, and it wasn't there either. Did I delete it?? :rolleyes:

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited July 2007
    Options

Hi Carol,

Yes, you deleted the file, permanently.

To restore a file, press the Restore button. It is placed under the list, at the left of the Send button.

Cris.

• C-1000
    Options
    Hi Carol,

Yes, you deleted the file, permanently.

To restore a file, press the Restore button. It is placed under the list, at the left of the Send button.

Cris.

LOL. Okay, thanks.