Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Internet Security 2010 - Crashing Loop

Options

Hi,

I have recently installed Internet Security 2010 on my PC desktop which runs windows XP home edition. When i boot up my PC, it crashes and goes into a re-boot/crash/reboot loop. I had trouble with the 2009 version where my PC would crash when prompted to 'fix issues' and was advised by BitDefender support to install 2010.

Can anyone advise what the problem could be and how to fix it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello milneax1,

In order to further investigate this sittuation please follow the steps bellow :

1. Open My Computer.

2. Browse to

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

3. Doubleclick on the supporttool.exe file .(in case you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, right click on the the supporttool.exe file and choose "Run as administrator" )

4. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish .

5. Go to the desktop, upload the report on http://www.sendspace.com/ then send me a PM with the download link or reply to our email with the report attached .

We are looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

• Hello,

I too have the same problem. I have Windows XP Pro SP3. I get to installing the trial version of BitDefender Total Security/Internet Security 2010 version. After that, it's asks for a restart. When it restarts, I have the same reboot/crash/reboot loop that milneax1 has. It's not even possible to get into Windows, so checking supporttool.exe is not an option. I can't even boot into safe mode because it keeps crashing when it tries to load the drivers. One thing that I have noticed is that the system always hangs when it loads "mup.sys" (I believe that's a BitDefender file). This is seen when I use "safe mode with command prompt." I've had to format my machine multiple times already because it keeps crashing Windows. As of now, I reverted back to 2009, even though this version does have its bugs, but at least it doesn't crash the entire system like BitDefender 2010. Solutions?

• I also have the same problem. I upgraded to IS 2010 to try to get resolution to the problem where IS 2009 was consuming 100% of CPU resources. I opened a support ticket 10 days ago, and sent in the dump file as requested. Since then I have not heard anything back from the bit defender support staff. Do you have any suggestions as to what to do - should I try to reinstall the 2009 version and if so, what fix is available to my original problem?

Thanks.

• Hi,

I have recently installed Internet Security 2010 on my PC desktop which runs windows XP home edition. When i boot up my PC, it crashes and goes into a re-boot/crash/reboot loop. I had trouble with the 2009 version where my PC would crash when prompted to 'fix issues' and was advised by BitDefender support to install 2010.

Can anyone advise what the problem could be and how to fix it.

Thanks.

I have the same problem with BD2010 running in XP SP3 - reboots several times, eventually succeeds and

comes up with a "Windows has recovered from a critical error" message. Never had the problem with BD2009.

• Hello all,

Regarding this issue, we suspect that it was caused in your cases by the previous BitDefender version which was not removed properly.

Therefore, please make sure that you follow all the steps from this article before installing your new BitDefender:

https://myaccount.bitdefender.com/site/Know...e/consumer/#333

Thank you.

• Hello all,

Regarding this issue, we suspect that it was caused in your cases by the previous BitDefender version which was not removed properly.

Therefore, please make sure that you follow all the steps from this article before installing your new BitDefender:

https://myaccount.bitdefender.com/site/Know...e/consumer/#333

Thank you.

I tried uninstalling using the recommended tool, but that hung and did not do a clean delete. When I tried to reinstall I got a message to that effect and an option to uninstall, which I did. That gave a clean delete, but on reinstalling I still got the same multiple boot cycles followed by a boot sucess and a "Windows has recovered from a serious error" message. So I started tinkering with firewall settings. Unchecking "scan boot sectors" seems to have done the trick, but I'll need several more boot ups until I'm sure.

• I tried uninstalling using the recommended tool, but that hung and did not do a clean delete. When I tried to reinstall I got a message to that effect and an option to uninstall, which I did. That gave a clean delete, but on reinstalling I still got the same multiple boot cycles followed by a boot sucess and a "Windows has recovered from a serious error" message. So I started tinkering with firewall settings. Unchecking "scan boot sectors" seems to have done the trick, but I'll need several more boot ups until I'm sure.

I should have said "So I started tinkering with firewall and other settings". Apologies if this caused any confusion.

• Hello MalcolmD,

Regarding your issue, please let us know if it is solved.

Thank you.

• Hello MalcolmD,

Regarding your issue, please let us know if it is solved.

Thank you.

I'm not sure. It seemed to be solved, but then I made some firewall setting changes (setting it to "Report" instead of "Allow Known Programs") and the problem returned. It actually got worse as the computer would reboot not just on bootup (3 reboot cycles usually) but also, once I had a successful boot, when I closed one of the programs that I had allowed to connect to the Internet (by firewall rule). I did a clean reinstall and so far nothing has gone wrong, but I will need a lot more time on the computer to see if it is really fixed.