Quarantine Files On Windows 7 64 Bits

I was trying to restore a couple of quarantined files but it does not work. It shows me a dialog saying:

"Failed to find the specified path. Pleae review ... etc"

But the path is there!

I tried to use the Browse dialog to choose any path and I still get the same dialog.

Where on the HDD are the Quarantined files. Maybe I can simply copy them.

Thanks,

Danut

Comments

• Hello danutzp ,

The Quarantine folder can be found in the next location : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine .

Please be so kind and take a screen-shot of the message that you receive when you try to restore an infected file. Here is what you have to do :

1. When the window is on you desktop press the PrintScreen key (PrintScreen is located at the top of the keyboard, at right. At this step we can not see anything, as the picture is copied into Windows' clipboard);

2. Open the standard Paint program, that comes with every Windows installation (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Paint);

3.Paste the picture (Edit -> Paste);

4.Save the file into the JPEG format into a location of your choice and reply with the image attached.

Thank you .

• Thank you for your report danutzp. This is a known issue. A proper fix will be delivered soon, via live update.

• Thank you for your report danutzp. This is a known issue. A proper fix will be delivered soon, via live update.

I got the latest update and I was able to restore my files.

Sugestion: a confirmation dialog/message would be nice. I pushed the Restore button the first time and I was not sure if it did anything. Only after I went and looked into my folders I saw the restored files.

Multumesc! :-)

• I am also facing same proble. when i try to restore my files, it says " path dont exist."

Please help

• Hello alpana,

We have sent you an email with some steps you need to take so that we can further investigate the issue.

Please reply back to our e-mail.

Thank you.

• I have this problem also. What's worse is that there are HUNDREDS of files in my quarantine from the Trojan.FakeAlert.5 problem from this morning. I have the last fix update Virus signatures : 5474032 Engine Version 7.30848 Last update 20/03/2010 1:43:15 PM Mountain time. I know if I reboot my computer I wont be able to use it, but I can't restore any files in C:/Windows/System32 and C:/Windows/SysWOW64 and other directories.

Upon trying to restore it says this file exists already and asks if i still want to restore, pressing okay brings up the problem this thread refers to, a message saying the path doesn't exist. It won't restore these files! I need to restore them ASAP!

With these files in quarantine i can't even access MS Paint, I had to copy my screenshots in Microsoft Word, i couldn't even name the document so i have to overwrite an older document, "ch8" are the screenshots attached. NEVERMIND, i can't even attach files because i'm having trouble browsing in windows explorer.

• I have this problem also. What's worse is that there are HUNDREDS of files in my quarantine from the Trojan.FakeAlert.5 problem from this morning. I have the last fix update Virus signatures : 5474032 Engine Version 7.30848 Last update 20/03/2010 1:43:15 PM Mountain time. I know if I reboot my computer I wont be able to use it, but I can't restore any files in C:/Windows/System32 and C:/Windows/SysWOW64 and other directories.

Upon trying to restore it says this file exists already and asks if i still want to restore, pressing okay brings up the problem this thread refers to, a message saying the path doesn't exist. It won't restore these files! I need to restore them ASAP!

With these files in quarantine i can't even access MS Paint, I had to copy my screenshots in Microsoft Word, i couldn't even name the document so i have to overwrite an older document, "ch8" are the screenshots attached. NEVERMIND, i can't even attach files because i'm having trouble browsing in windows explorer.

I have exactly the same problem as you. "Path already exists" and i have around 35000 files quarantined with that Trojan.FakeAlert.5 thing. I cant open any other program. Only firefox is the only working thing on my comp.

I didnt reboot my pc yet and i wont untill i have a working solution.

• I have exactly the same problem as you. "Path already exists" and i have around 35000 files quarantined with that Trojan.FakeAlert.5 thing. I cant open any other program. Only firefox is the only working thing on my comp.

I didnt reboot my pc yet and i wont untill i have a working solution.

Yeah i am keeping my PC on as well. Apparently I can't restore the files to ANY directory not just the original file destination. I tried making a new folder to restore files to and also selecting it to browse and restore onto desktop but I got the same error.

Pretty much a sitting duck until there's an update that will allow me to actually restore these files.

• This is for those who did turn off their computer and now can't boot up.

First of all, I must say that this is good bye to BitDefender from me.

Secondly, this is how I fixed Bit Defender move to quarantine issue.

On my computer it was set up to move suspicious files to quarantine, not to delete them.

Also, you will need another computer with same version of bitdefender installed and Parted Magic Live CD or something similar.

1. Locate your quarantine files and copy them to another computer (if you have dual boot, you can use another partition instead) with bit defender installed, into it's quarantine folder. If you can't access your computer (as I couldn't), use Parted Magic.

2. Now that you are on a second computer with bit defender running, use it to extract your files from quarantine to another location. Don't forget to maintain folder structure, so that you can put back every file where it belongs. This can be a lot of work, depending on how many files bitdefender moved to quarantine.

3. Run Parted Magic cd again, and use it to put your files back to their original locations. While you are in linux (parted magic) rename your bit defender folder, so that it doesn't load when you boot up your windows.

4. Boot up windows. Locate bit defender folder and rename it back to it's original name. Now you can uninstall it or fix it if bitdefender support came out with some kind of patch.

Hope this helps. I managed to fix my computer and I must add that this kind of flaw is unacceptable for a security software. So it's good bye to bitdefender from me.

p.s. I warned my friends who use bitdefender to this problem, so maybe you can do it to, just to make a bit less damage.

• Thx Sasha for your help but i dont have a 2nd pc available at the moment, so i'll have to wait untill they come up with a way to restore our quarantined files (hopefully automatically as i have around 35000).

• I am also unable to restore any quarantined files.

Says the file already exists but when I click ok to continue, it fails without reason.

But files that it states were quarantined I am still able to open.

• Chimel
    edited March 2010

These 2 error messages are bogus, caused by bad design of the quarantine restore feature.

They seem to be caused by duplicate entries in the quarantine list, like when a so-called infected system file is quarantined by BD, then Windows will restore it on its own, then BD will quarantine it again, etc.

There are several quarantine entries for the same file, so BD will fail restoring the file at the second and next occurrences, which is OK because at this stage the file is already restored. I selected "Yes" to overwrite duplicate files in the first error message, and "Cancel" in the second one. You'll be left with some of those duplicate entries in the quarantine list, just ignore them, the files should be fine and these entries will be removed automatically after 30 days.

• These 2 error messages are bogus, caused by bad design of the quarantine restore feature.

They seem to be caused by duplicate entries in the quarantine list, like when a so-called infected system file is quarantined by BD, then Windows will restore it on its own, then BD will quarantine it again, etc.

There are several quarantine entries for the same file, so BD will fail restoring the file at the second and next occurrences, which is OK because at this stage the file is already restored. I selected "Yes" to overwrite duplicate files in the first error message, and "Cancel" in the second one. You'll be left with some of those duplicate entries in the quarantine list, just ignore them, the files should be fine and these entries will be removed automatically after 30 days.

Thx Chimel, thanks to your method i am able to restore many files. The click ok first and cancel next. I am able to restore almost all OEM files but it will take a while since i have around 35000 quarantined and can't select them all in once so i have to do 20 by 20. To be continued...

• Thx Chimel, thanks to your method i am able to restore many files. The click ok first and cancel next. I am able to restore almost all OEM files but it will take a while since i have around 35000 quarantined and can't select them all in once so i have to do 20 by 20. To be continued...

Some of the restored DLL's don't work properly, when a program that uses one of them pops up it tells me the dll isn't working properly.

• Some of the restored DLL's don't work properly, when a program that uses one of them pops up it tells me the dll isn't working properly.

I just noticed that some of the restored /system/32 files are only 0kb. So i'm gonna keep my hands of the files where i get the "already exist" warning and just skip those till there is a solution. And i'm not gonna reboot my comp yet.

• Keeping your pc on is the best choice, a lot of my applications still don't work. I restored all the quarantined files that didn't give me the error message. The ones that gave me the error message still don't seem to work properly. Without a real fix for the quarantined items it's too risky to reboot.

• flandrei
    flandrei Bitdefender VPN Product Manager BD Staff

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this faulty update, we are currently working on providing a patch that will solve this issue. As soon as we have any update, we will post it on this topic:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st=0#entry79733

and on this KB article:

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#638

There may be cases when the workaround provided in the above articles does not work. Therefore, we would like to gather a few information about these cases, such as:

what operating system are you using

what version of BitDefender are you using

what specifically did not work

Thank you

• We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this faulty update, we are currently working on providing a patch that will solve this issue. As soon as we have any update, we will post it on this topic:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st=0#entry79733

and on this KB article:

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#638

There may be cases when the workaround provided in the above articles does not work. Therefore, we would like to gather a few information about these cases, such as:

what operating system are you using

what version of BitDefender are you using

what specifically did not work

Thank you

I'm using Windows 7 premium home

BitDefender Internet Security 2010 version 13.0.19

When trying to restore the quarantined files all files located in the \Windows\system 32\, Windows\SysWOW64\, Windows\system 32\drivers\ and all files that have anything to do with BD cant be restored.

First there is the warning "the file already exists. Do you want to replace it?" when you click yes there comes "Cant find the specified path", when you choose the right path nothing happens.

I wish i could attach a prtscreen but i'm not able to open Paint, it gives a missing file error.

• I'm using Windows 7 premium home

BitDefender Internet Security 2010 version 13.0.19

When trying to restore the quarantined files all files located in the \Windows\system 32\, Windows\SysWOW64\, Windows\system 32\drivers\ and all files that have anything to do with BD cant be restored.

First there is the warning "the file already exists. Do you want to replace it?" when you click yes there comes "Cant find the specified path", when you choose the right path nothing happens.

I wish i could attach a prtscreen but i'm not able to open Paint, it gives a missing file error.

Windows 7 Professional, version 13.0.19.347, all other information is the same in my case.

This discussion has been closed.