Im Encryption Can't Be Disabled

I have been using BitDefender for a while, but my girlfriend recently got it and installed it on her PC. As we use Windows Live Messenger to talk to each other, we found out that IM encryption was enabled. The messages it produces were quite annoying and neither of us wanted to use the feature, so we both tried to disable it. However, it can't be disabled it would seem.

I saw previous posts about this and could not see any solution. Essentially the issue is that even if you disable the whole module or set an exclusion, BitDefender just ignores this and proceeds to spam up the message window with big, bold messages every time you send a message to someone after a period of inactivity. Usually this can be around 15 minutes with neither myself or my girlfriend sending a message to the other, but when the next message is sent we both get spammed with the notice:

BitDefender is trying to establish a secure connection in order to encrypt this conversation.

BitDefender: A secure connection has been established. This conversation is encrypted.

This is VERY annoying as it is in big, bold text.

To illustrate the issue, I have attached a screenshot of the config screen for the IM Encryption feature. I have blanked out the e-mail address for privacy, but those two addresses are identical. Note how it says the connection is encrypted, yet there is an active exclusion set for the exact same address. Seems the exclusions do nothing - and neither does disabling the module. I've tried setting them through the little menu on the message window, through BitDefender itself and then disabling the whole thing, but to no avail.

I can supply further screenshots showing it spamming up my message window every time a new message comes through after a period of inactivity, but I would rather not.

This is an incredibly annoying bug - what is it that I can do to stop it? I'm running Windows 7 64bit, the latest Windows Live Messenger client and the latest version of BitDefender according to its own auto-update procedure. The same issue happens on my girlfriend's machine, again Windows 7 64bit and the latest versions of BitDefender.

post-33532-1271964479_thumb.png

Comments

• wivio
    edited May 2010
    I saw previous posts about this and could not see any solution. Essentially the issue is that even if you disable the whole module or set an exclusion, BitDefender just ignores this and proceeds to spam up the message window with big, bold messages every time you send a message to someone after a period of inactivity. Usually this can be around 15 minutes with neither myself or my girlfriend sending a message to the other, but when the next message is sent we both get spammed with the notice:

BitDefender is trying to establish a secure connection in order to encrypt this conversation.

BitDefender: A secure connection has been established. This conversation is encrypted.

This is VERY annoying as it is in big, bold text.

Same prob here with 2 other users. A friend and my girlfriend both have BD and same problem happens. I tried the "solution" on this topic http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18332 but its still the same as described. The encryption simply won't turn off. I've tried set them as encryption exclusions, and they did the same, but its all the same. BitDefender just assumes i want to encrypt anyways and does that annoying notice.

I would like very much to have a solution, because it REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY annoys. Thanks

Edit:

Me and my girlfriend use win7 x86 and my friend uses x64.

• bump

• up again

• Ok. Since Support doesn't hep us, i went to bitdefender folder and started opening some .ui files with notepad.

I found one called imsecurityal.ui which had the messages bitdefender spams on us on MSN. i tried to rename it to something else but it wasn't let me take ownership, so i entered safe mode and changed the acess rights to that file, and changed its extension to ._ui

Bitdefender did not crashed and is not spamming me anymore. I still left the im encryption turned off, but now it just seems to be off. Didn't try to turn it on to see if crashes happened or anything. I'm happy with no spam.

All other bitdefender features seem ok.

By the way, thanks for the support.

• Up to find a answer!

• @Weevil

@iphonefans007

First and foremost please note that we are working towards a resolution regarding the issue you are facing as we speak. Also allow me to remind you all that we do not recommend sending any private information via the chat (Yahoo or Hotmail) with or without the encryption activated.

If you decide to disable the encryption module along with the notification you receive when a chat window is open follow the steps below:

1. Restart the computer and load Windows in Safe Mode*

2. Open My Computer and go to the folder:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010

3. Locate the file: imsettings.xml

4. Open it using this free Microsoft editor software: XML Notepad 2007

5. Install the software - a regular installation requires no changes but to click on the Next button until the process is complete.

6. Locate the above file and open it using the XML Notepad 2007 software

7. Change ALL entries into the file from 1 to 0 as shown in the screenshot below.

[How to start the computer in Safe Mode]

If Windows is the only operating system installed on your computer, booting into Safe Mode with these instructions:

* If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power

* Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.

* Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.

* Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.

* Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.

* When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

Please let me know if the issue persist after the above steps are completed. Thanks !

post-20064-1273678241_thumb.jpg

• Cool. I'm gonna try this tomorrow, and post the results.

Thanks

• Sorry it took long, but that worked well. Thanks

• Nah. I jsut thought it worked. I am going back to my "solution". Thanks anyway

• Hello Weevil,

What is the status of the encryption issue ? Can you please post the latest info ? Thanks !

Regards,

• That solution you posted didn't work.

Even with encryption off, it still spams. I just modified "imsecurityal.ui" again, so it won't spam me.

I'd like a working fix, but i'm not worried that much about it anymore, cause my temporary fix did the job.

Thanks for the help anyways. =D

• Hi Weevil,

Please tell me if you have the following settings enabled or disabled in BitDefender:

1. Antivirus -> Shield -> Custom level ->

- Scan Yahoo Messenger traffic

- Scan Windows Live Messenger traffic

2. Parental Control for all Windows Users

3. Encryption module -> IM Encryption

- Yahoo Messenger Encryption

- Windows Live (MSN) Messenger Encryption

Looking forward to your answer!

• when i disable scan WLM traffic it just doesn't let me connect anymore... Parental control is always off. Yahoo messenger scan is on, but i don't use it, so i think it doesn't really matters... Encryption is off.

I have a suggestion. You could make it like if you click "permanently enable encryption" it doesn't spam that message...

• Hi Weevil,

We apologize for any negative experience you have encountered with our products or our support. Your feedback is appreciated, and will be directed to the appropriate team for review, to enable us to improve our support and services.

Thank you for taking the time and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further details from us.

• Thank you as well =D

If you find a solution, please post it here. I'll keep checking this post from time to time.

See ya =D

• When the issue will be resolved, the resolution will come as an automatic update that requires no further actions on your behalf. Furthermore, each time a new build is released, all fixed issues are posted on the forum.

Best regards,