Support Brave Browser

Hi,

I know this was requested before but just today the AV vendor ESET has officially added support for Brave Browser. Actually, ESET was already doing HTTPS Scanning/Encrypted web scan on Brave but with the latest update it now officially supports it.

Bitdefender can block known malicious/phishing sites accessed in Brave, but it doesn't do "Encrypted web scan". So malicious javascripts loaded in the browser are not detected.

Brave is gaining popularity, adding new users every month. This rate of new user will increase even more when Chromium browsers officially stop supporting MV2 extensions, so adblockers like uBlock Origin will stop working. The alternate MV3 based adblockers are weaker. So, Brave with its internal adblocker is gaining users.

So, I think Bitdefender should officially support Brave. It's based on Chromium and receives updates quicker than any other Chromium browsers (usually within 24 hours of a Chrome update). So, compatibility shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks.

5 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod

Voted +1, from a Chrome and Brave user.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Petersl
    Petersl Defender of the month ✭✭✭

I second this, I'm using brave as well next to firefox.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited August 5

Adblock Plus, Adblock, AdGuard Beta (experimental version), Ghostery, and uBlock Lite (a lite version of uBlock Origin) are all MV3-based Chromium extensions. Brave also uses Chromium as its base engine and, therefore, relies only on Chromium extensions.

uBlock Origin is one of the best ad blockers on the market, but it is not the only one. The majority of ad filters used in different ad blockers also rely on each other's filter lists. uBlock Origin, in fact, uses very few of its own filters and is dependent on filters from third-party ad blockers. The primary advantage of uBlock Origin is its performance and memory utilization, which makes it more feasible for the majority of users.

While an encrypted web scan could be a feature to be included by Bitdefender, the removal of MV2-based extensions is not directly related to Brave. Although the current built-in settings support MV2 extensions of various ad blockers, it will eventually need to be updated to MV3. Otherwise, these extensions will not receive future filter updates once Google fully removes all MV2-based Chromium extensions from the Google Extension Store.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)