Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Gmail Won't Send Large Attachments (total Security 2009)

Options

I ran into this problem today. I get weird messages in both Firefox and Internet Explorer when I try to send a message in Gmail if that message has a large attachment.

Firefox: After a few minutes, I get a message saying that Gmail is wanting to download a file and asking if I want to open it or save it to disk. Type application/octet-stream.

Internet Explorer: Reports that there was a problem with the (Gmail) server.

To get the email with the large attachment to send, I have to disable protection levels in ADVANCED VIEW - ANTIVIRUS - CUSTOM LEVEL. In there, I have to deselect "Scan http traffic" and "Scan Yahoo Messenger Traffic". Yes, both. Only deselcting one will not fix the problem.

That's a lot of protection to defeat to get Gmail working.

Anyone know if this is a known problem and/or a fix is in the works, or is this going to be like the Microsoft Outlook Express issue in BitDefender 2008 that caused me to be given 2009 by the the help desk since there was no fix for that. :blink:

Brian

Edited after further testing to determine the two settings in BitDefender that affect Gmail as described.

Comments

• alexcrist
    Options

Hello Brian,

Could you tell me about what's the size limit that you can attach without problems?

Cris.

• Hello Brian,

Could you tell me about what's the size limit that you can attach without problems?

Cris.

Under 1 meg went through fine when I tested just now. When I attach larger files, the message cannot be sent.

What's disturbing is that there is absolutely no indication the problem is the antivirus software. I only got lucky in isolating this because someone else posted a similar message in some other obscure forum. But it is definitely being caused by BitDefender, as evidenced by the transmission working fine if I disable those two custom settings.

I don't want to leave them disabled, but I also do not want to have to toggle them every time I want to send an attachment.

Brian

• try this one:

1. Open BitDefender in the Advanced View.

2. Go to Antivirus->Shield and click on Custom Level.

3. Disable scanning of outgoing email.

4. Check if you can send emails properly.

5. If it does not work disable the Antispam too.

6. Check if this works.

• try this one:

1. Open BitDefender in the Advanced View.

2. Go to Antivirus->Shield and click on Custom Level.

3. Disable scanning of outgoing email.

4. Check if you can send emails properly.

5. If it does not work disable the Antispam too.

6. Check if this works.

Thanks for the suggestions, but why would I want to disable even more settings? BitDefender online support had me disable scanning of both incoming and outgoing mail, and that didn't stop the problem.

I went to online support after waiting for over 40 minutes on phone support with 20 of that spent listening to the "We're experience unusually high call volumes" and then another 20 minutes of just a telephone ringing and not being answered. Even online live support kind of gave up and said they were sending me some instructions to have me gather more info follow and then disconnected. Of course they did not send the instructions and I didn't give them more info.

Honestly, I'm not sure how to tell them about the problem in a way that assures they actually consider addressing it in some way. I posted here mainly to help the next person recognize the problem and a workaround (definitely not a fix....) through the community of users. I've gotten some good help here on other issues in the past.

Brian

• Unknown
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, but why would I want to disable even more settings? BitDefender online support had me disable scanning of both incoming and outgoing mail, and that didn't stop the problem.

I went to online support after waiting for over 40 minutes on phone support with 20 of that spent listening to the "We're experience unusually high call volumes" and then another 20 minutes of just a telephone ringing and not being answered. Even online live support kind of gave up and said they were sending me some instructions to have me gather more info follow and then disconnected. Of course they did not send the instructions and I didn't give them more info.

Honestly, I'm not sure how to tell them about the problem in a way that assures they actually consider addressing it in some way. I posted here mainly to help the next person recognize the problem and a workaround (definitely not a fix....) through the community of users. I've gotten some good help here on other issues in the past.

Brian

Hi Brian, the issue is already known by BitDefender and escalated for resolution. As a workaround, try using the older version of it and see if the issue will still persist.

Cheers,

Danny

• Hi Brian, the issue is already known by BitDefender and escalated for resolution. As a workaround, try using the older version of it and see if the issue will still persist.

Cheers,

Danny

Thanks, Danny, that is good news.

The older version is not a workaround for me. I was given the upgrade because I had the Outlook Express problem. OE closes in the 2008 version when you go to read a message after the daily Bitdefender updates have been received and applied...you have to reboot to get it to work again at that point. At least that's my understanding of the problem that I had with the 2008 version that I believe still exists. But I never had any issue with attachment size in the 2008 version.

Brian

• I ran into this problem today. I get weird messages in both Firefox and Internet Explorer when I try to send a message in Gmail if that message has a large attachment.

Firefox: After a few minutes, I get a message saying that Gmail is wanting to download a file and asking if I want to open it or save it to disk. Type application/octet-stream.

Internet Explorer: Reports that there was a problem with the (Gmail) server.

To get the email with the large attachment to send, I have to disable protection levels in ADVANCED VIEW - ANTIVIRUS - CUSTOM LEVEL. In there, I have to deselect "Scan http traffic" and "Scan Yahoo Messenger Traffic". Yes, both. Only deselcting one will not fix the problem.

That's a lot of protection to defeat to get Gmail working.

Anyone know if this is a known problem and/or a fix is in the works, or is this going to be like the Microsoft Outlook Express issue in BitDefender 2008 that caused me to be given 2009 by the the help desk since there was no fix for that. :blink:

Brian

Edited after further testing to determine the two settings in BitDefender that affect Gmail as described.

That fix seems to have made my Gmail work now. Now, if I could fix the problem with BitDefender TS-2009 and my MS Windows Auto-Update. I keeps wanting to update MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430) over and over again. I update it and there is the yellow MS updater shield telling me to install this same thing all over again.

• follow the steps here and it should fix the MS Update issue.