Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Multiple Issues On Xp Mce

Options

Bought BD Antivirus 2009 a few days ago and have run into more issues than any purchased piece of software in recent memory.

What I run on my most complex (Win) system:

XP MCE SP3 -- all updates current

HP a1620n, 1 GB

plus NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS -- most recent driver according to MS update

Beyond TV -- listed here because it seems to interact with BD

Vista Virtual Deskops -- listed here because it interacts with other things on occasion, although it does not cause stability issues

Before BD: Very stable, no crashes at any time

What I have seen that I consider problems or issues:

- Initial installation hung on step 7.

- System crashes every day, especially when running Beyond TV. Regular crashes with BTV + BD GUI.

- Scan scheduler does not accept times -- changes them almost randomly to earlier in the evening, making it useless.

- Cannot shut down processes or control start up of processes, even though I'm system admin.

This MUST be considered a bug. No program should prevent the sysadmin from controlling it.

Also it should be impossible for a program to do this to itself, but that's another story.

- Ignores unchecking "Load BitDefender at Windows starup" -- loads not matter what

- Believes there is an administrator account even though there is only HP_Administrator

This HP MCE system came this way -- and the HP stuff seems to need it that way. Stupid but I didn't do it.

- Manual update causes more updates, even though I just updated it at installation.

- Startups much slower -- but that's only a problem if it crashes regularly -- which it does

- Seems to work better on other, simpler systems, although BD thinks the recovery system on an XP Thinkpad is a rootkit.

What I tried:

- Rechecked MS update

- BD repair

- Turn off all auto/realtime processes I could from the GUI

- Attempted to shut it down or cause it not to load -- no permission! I tried this both as my account (which has full admin privileges) and as HP_Administrator. So, there are still multiple processes running, even though I did lots of things to stop them.

I'm not sure I will continue to run software which I cannot control as sysadmin, even though I have paid for it. I read somewhere you have to do it from safe mode. If true, that is not acceptable.

Q1: I'd be satisfied with something that never runs any process until I launch it to scan. Can I do that?

Q2: Short of that, I'm looking for recommendations on how to make the system more stable. Or should I give up?

Comments

• regarding the bd crashes with Beyond TV, you should notify the bd support about it and they should be able to test it and if they manage to reproduce the issue, they will fix it from the product.