Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[open]services Not Responding (internet Security 2009)

Options

I know there are other posts here about this but there's a slight difference with my problem.

I booted up today and the red globe was greyed out and a message said Bit Defender services are not responding. I rebooted three times and it still didn't work.

Then I tried repair install but the repair option is greyed out. When I tried to uninstall it said it couldn't. I booted into safe mode and tried to uninstall but it said:

"The windows install service could not be accessed this can occur if the windows installer is not correctly installed".

I tried to manually delete the Bit Defender folder but was told I didn't 'have the rights' to delete it! I'm an admin user I have the bloody rights to do what I like!

I also got this message: An error occurred installing the package. Windows installer returned 1652.

I rebooted into normal Windows and tried the uninstall again, this time it worked. I rebooted and was able to install the program again.

But now I can't access the 'Show' menu from the icon on the taskbar. I can update, get basic settings, everything in the context menu when you right click the icon but 'Show' does nothing.

So I can't start any scans or enable the activity bar which for some stupid bloody reason is disabled by default.

I can scan individual files with the right mouse button but can't schedule tasks. The globe is red and there are no error messages.

The problem I have with re-installing the program when this sort of thing happens is the time it takes.

Uninstall (when it works), reboot. Install, reboot. Update, reboot. It's a pain and I now wish I hadn't registered for another 2 years.

My OS is Vista Ultimate 64bit, I'm using the 64bit version of BD Internet Security 2009.

Comments

• Got BD total security 09 about 3 months ago and ive had nothing but problems. my latest problem now

is everytime I boot up my comp by BD icon shows up in the icon tray but is gray and whenever i double

click the icon it tells me that "BitDefender Services are not responding. Please restart the computer and if he problem persists, contact BitDefender support." tried restarting the computer, nothing. ive contacted BD support with no avail. and ive even un-installed and re-installed this programs more times then i wish to remember. the odd thing about this is that i can still right click on an item and scan it with BD, yet i cant open the program iself to do a full system scan or anything else. i would apreciate any input.

• Got BD total security 09 about 3 months ago and ive had nothing but problems. my latest problem now

is everytime I boot up my comp by BD icon shows up in the icon tray but is gray and whenever i double

click the icon it tells me that "BitDefender Services are not responding. Please restart the computer and if he problem persists, contact BitDefender support." tried restarting the computer, nothing. ive contacted BD support with no avail. and ive even un-installed and re-installed this programs more times then i wish to remember. the odd thing about this is that i can still right click on an item and scan it with BD, yet i cant open the program iself to do a full system scan or anything else. i would apreciate any input.

I am having the same issue...so far...no one has responded to my problem. And by the way..i rebooted today...and 4 hours later...it shut down again.

• I have the same problem, and I have had BitDefender for all of three days. It started when I could not open the main control center (not sure what it's called, only seen it once). It wouldn't open for me again. Yesterday it came up grey saying the services were not responding. I uninstalled, rebooted about 5 times and reinstalled. It configured and looked good, but now within an hour will not open again. Can't say I'm too impressed after three days of buying this....

• I am having the exact same issue, and my OS is XP Sp2. I have only had this for 3 days, and it looked great at first, then went non-responsive. After a very difficult uninstall/reinstall, it seems to be working great, but I cannot get "Show" to work, but everything else seems to. Very frustrating. Just sent a message to support, see what happens...

• I think I have found a work-around on this...

Go to your Task Manager...click on the "Services" tab and find the VSSERV program and do a right click on VSSERV and click 'start service' and it will come back on.

it seems this has to do with the automatic update....so once you start the service again...go into the update section and disable the automatic update and you can update the software manually.

this can be a temporary fix until bit defender comes out with a patch.

• texasghost
    edited January 2009
    Options

I think I have found a work-around on this...

Go to your Task Manager...click on the "Services" tab and find the VSSERV program and do a right click on VSSERV and click 'start service' and the grey icon will go back to red again.

it seems this has to do with the automatic update....so once you start the service again...go into the update section and disable the automatic update and you can update the software manually.

this can be a temporary fix until bit defender comes out with a patch.

• Merged these 3 topics and thank you texasghost for the tip.
  • Also having this same problem. However my vsserv is still running and even if I try to stop it I get access denied. I've restarted and turned off automatic updates and its still graying out.

• glad to know im not the only one this has been happening to, when I go to the task manager and look at my vsserv.exe it is running and im also getting the access denied message when I try to turn it off. Im still tweaking with everything but if you go to start > run > services.msc you can look at all the services that are running on your computer (including BD) my knowledge only goes so far but if someone else knows if im looking in the right place to fix this issue that would be great.

• PCDania
    edited January 2009
    Options

If you want to delete the outdated "av32bit_xxxx" folders in the "BitDefender Threat Scanner" folder, boot your computer to Failsafe Mode first. (that is what I do on WinXP Pro).

For booting your computer to Failsafe Mode start pressing the F8 key repeatedly right after the first sceen (The BIOS screen) dissapears but just before the operating system starts loading when you start your computer. You will then get a screen where you can select between different ways of starting the computer. Select Failsafe without network. It might take several tries before you succeed in getting to boot to Failsafe Mode as there is very little time to hit F8.

A problem I have on my computer that seems to be related to too many outdated folders with definition files, is the tray icon turns grey as BIS 2009 has stopped responding. Sometimes I also experience other errors like the AntiPhising filter button in my browser is greyed out, and once I got a strange scripting error created by a dll belonging to BIS 2009. When I delete the outdated "av32bit_xxxx" folders these problems are solved until the amount of outdated folders grows too big. Then I have to boot to Failsafe Mode again and delete some folders.

• how do I fix this problem if i dont have vsserv.exe running in my task manager???

i suspect bitdefender 2009 is constantly crashing my system