Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Files Could Not Be Cleaned

Options

I am using Windows XP Home, Bitdefender Internet Security 2008, and Firefox 3.0.5

After the daily scan I am getting this message on the page Anti-Virus Scan---Step 3 of 3

“760 (the number keeps increasing) files could not be cleaned so your system is not virus free. More details on www.bitdefender.com”

I, of course, want my system to be virus free and have checked out www.bitdefender.com but can’t seem to find advice on what I should do.

I switched a few months to Bitdefender from Zone Alarm (I was having some problems with ZA and liked the Consumer Reports review of Bitdefender). I am still getting used to Bitdefender and perhaps the the answer to my problem would be obvious if I understood the software better. It doesn’t help that I’m not very computer literate.

Could someone help me, please, by:

---pointing me to a FAQ or other information

---describing what to do, if there is no FAQ etc.

---direct me to a website that might be able to help.

Thank you so much!!

Comments

• Where do these files reside? Are they files from system restore?

Could you please attach a log from the scanning so that we can see what is the problem?

• denwycke
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Where do these files reside? Are they files from system restore?

Could you please attach a log from the scanning so that we can see what is the problem?

Thank you for offering to help.

Here is an extract from a recent log----the whole log would be too large to send.

Hope this helps!

BitDefender Log File !!!!!

Product : BitDefender Internet Security 2008

Version : BitDefender UIScanner v.11

Log date : 06:59:42 06/02/2009

Log path : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles\Logs\full_scan\1233921582_1_02.xml

Scan Paths:

Path0000: C:\

Scan Options:

Scan for viruses : Yes

Scan for adware : Yes

Scan for spyware : Yes

Scan for applications : Yes

Scan for dialers : Yes

Scan for rootkits : Yes

Target selection options:

Scan registry keys : Yes

Scan cookies : Yes

Scan boot sectors : Yes

Scan memory processes : Yes

Scan archives : No

Scan runtime packers : Yes

Scan emails : Yes

Scan all files : Yes

Heuristic Scan : Yes

Scanned extensions :

Excluded extensions :

Target Processing

Default action for infected objects : Disinfect

Default action for suspicious objects : None

Default action for hidden objects : None

Scan engines summary

Number of virus signatures : 2639973

Archive plugins : 45

Email plugins : 6

Scan plugins : 13

Archive plugins : 45

System plugins : 5

Unpack plugins : 7

Overall scan summary

Scanned items : 61893

Infected items : 0

Suspicious items : 0

Resolved items : 3709

Individual viruses found : 0

Scanned directories : 5694

Scanned boot sectors : 5

Scanned archives : 8

Input-output errors : 58

Scan time : 00:00:52:10

Files per second : 19

Scanned processes summary

Scanned : 64

Infected : 0

Scanned registry keys summary

Scanned : 1070

Scanned cookies summary

Scanned : 194

Remaining issues:

Object Name Threat Name Final Status

C:\RRbackups\Documents and Settings.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.b

d.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.r

e

n.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren\Owner.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.

bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren

.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd

ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren

bd.ren.bd.ren\Application Data.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.re

n.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.b

d

.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.re

n\Microsoft.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren

.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd

.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.re

n

.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd

ren.bd.ren.bd.ren\Crypto.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.re

n.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.b

d

n

.bd.ren.bd.ren Rootkit-Hidden Items Rename Failed

C:\RRbackups\Documents and Settings.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.b

d.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.r

e

n.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren\Owner.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren

.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren

ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren

bd.ren.bd.ren\Application Data.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.re

d

n\Microsoft.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd

.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd.ren.bd

n

ren.bd.ren.bd.ren Rootkit-Hidden Items Rename Failed

• Florin,

You asked if I could provide a sample log and I have done that.

I wonder when you will have a chance to look at it and give me some guidance on how I can clean the files that BT says it cannot now clean.

Thanks so much for your help.

Denwycke

• Yes I'm on it sorry for the delay :) I'll give you an answer today about this issue.

• So you have some items detected as rootkit-hidden - BitDefender detects hidden or otherwise inaccessible files and may have a hard time telling apart maliciously hidden files and other data like backups from this software.

You may try excepting c:\RRbackups from further scans. This appears to be a system backup on lenovo laptops, so it was reported until now to Technical Support. My advice to you is also to contact support and send them some feedback on this issue so that they can fix this ASAP: http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/getSupport/

• So you have some items detected as rootkit-hidden - BitDefender detects hidden or otherwise inaccessible files and may have a hard time telling apart maliciously hidden files and other data like backups from this software.

You may try excepting c:\RRbackups from further scans. This appears to be a system backup on lenovo laptops, so it was reported until now to Technical Support. My advice to you is also to contact support and send them some feedback on this issue so that they can fix this ASAP: http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/getSupport/

Florin,

Thank you so much!

I will do what you suggest.

Denwycke