Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Media Sharing and BD AV 10 Update

Options

Running BitDefender Antivirus 10. Since the latest update I've been unable to connect to my PC running Windows Media Player 11's media sharing. Before the update I was able to connect using both my xbox 360 and Directv HR20 to stream photos and music. The PC can see the devices in the media sharing dialog (so I can allow them access), but the devices cannot see the PC. If I completely uninstall BitDefender everything works fine. Disabling BitDefender and/or stopping its services does not help either. The event logs show no abnormal operation, the media sharing and related services start and are running fine. I haven't found in BitDefender where anything is being blocked. I should also add I'm using Windows Firewall and have tried disabling that.

I tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling. The version I had backed up when I purchased (build 108) prompts me to download a newer version. During the install it updates itself and reboots the system. Everything works fine, this is build 247. Then the automatic update downloads another update which requires a reboot, after this reboot is when I run into the media sharing problems. But the build is still 247?!?!

I opened a support incident, but haven't heard anything back more than providing a sysdump and BD fileinfo. At this point I'm at a loss, any ideas are greatly welcomed.

Comments

• mhorn
    Options

Thanks to BD support, I renamed bdpredir.sys (not dll as was mentioned in other threads) and this problem is solved.

• sonaps
    Options

I have the exact problem described in this post, but I don’t understand the solution. Can someone explain how I rename bdpredir.sys? Where is it found and what do I rename it to? Thanks.

• Niels
    Options

Hi sonaps

I suppose that you have installed it on the default location. Go to start,my computer,press on the icon of your hard disc where windows is installed on. Then double click on the folder program files,Softwin,BitDefender10 (or something different). Now you will see all kind of files. To see the extensions do this press on extra,folder options,display (view). Then uncheck hide known file extensions and press on apply and ok. Now you will see a file called bdpredir.sys rightclick it and choose for change name and change it to bdpredir.s_ Confirm the message of windows. Reboot your pc.

Regards

Niels

• alexcrist
    Options

But first, try to update BitDefender. I just made an update which contains a large Product Upgrade (about 1.5MB), containing also the bdpredir.dll, vsserv.exe and other files. This update might solve the problem for good.

I am using the Romanian version of BD, so the update might not be available for the English version, but it's worth to try.

Cris.

• sonaps
    Options

Thanks Niels and Cris for your help. The update you spoke of Cris didn’t solve my problem I still had to do as Neils explained to get it to work (which it did without a problem). But now after the latest update everything works fine and I don’t have to change the name anymore. Looks like they fixed it after all. Thanks again for your help guys!

• alexcrist
    Options

You're welcome, sonaps.

Feel free to ask other question you might have :)

Cris.

• Niels
    Options

Glad I could help you.

Don't hesitate if you have question I or the rest will be pleased to help you.

Regards

Niels

• Hello guys I am new to this forum. I am having the same problem and I tried renaming the file name but it did not work. So i tried to click to update it did not work as well.

I am using v10 build 247. Is there anything I have to reinstall? btw I am trying to connect my xbox 360 with my pc media centre.

I am really pulling my hairs for this! thanks in advance gurus!

• alexcrist
    Options

Hi incrediboy,

What type of BitDefender are you using (Internet Security, AV Plus, AV)?

Cris.

• Hey Cris first of all thanks for the fast reply.

I am using the Bitdefender Antivirus Plus V10-build 247

• alexcrist
    Options

Hi incrediboy,

Try this: open BitDefender Management Console, go to Firewall and create a new rule.

In that rule, set everyting to Allow, protocol IP, and set the source IP to the xbox 360's IP.

I hope this works. Please post the result.

Cris.

• Hi Cris many thanks for your help. I tried what you suggested but it did not work. What I did was I reinstall the the WM player 11 and uninstalled any software related to connecting xbox 360 like media connect or zune.

After that it just worked! So yeah I reckon the Bitdefender firewall needs to reinitialized again with a new install program for it to work. ( if that make sense)

Cheers to all, also for those with this issue remember to turn the sharing on in the option under library settings.