Feb 27 Update Crashes All 3 Of My Vista Computers

Did anyone else encounter this today. Either lastnight or this afternoon all of my computers (Vista 32 bit) asked to be rebooted for bit defender updates. When I did so both my laptops blue screened, then froze up, then bunch of services failed, finally after 3 reboots all seems normal howver I am not sure if the update is still applied. However my destop would not reboot at all, only blue screen right at the point where vista logo appears. I had to system restore back to yesterday to get it to boot. Am I the only one with todays problems?? I am new to bit defender (changed over from Mcafee) and so far I am a little concerned about my choice. The other problem with my destop intallation is that the built in system scans always dissapear after a day or two. I do a repair on the install which makes the built in scans re-appear but then two days later they are gone (these are the virus scans that are supposed to occur at 2:00 am after an initial install of bit defender). Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Did anyone else encounter this today. Either lastnight or this afternoon all of my computers (Vista 32 bit) asked to be rebooted for bit defender updates. When I did so both my laptops blue screened, then froze up, then bunch of services failed, finally after 3 reboots all seems normal howver I am not sure if the update is still applied. However my destop would not reboot at all, only blue screen right at the point where vista logo appears. I had to system restore back to yesterday to get it to boot. Am I the only one with todays problems?? I am new to bit defender (changed over from Mcafee) and so far I am a little concerned about my choice. The other problem with my destop intallation is that the built in system scans always dissapear after a day or two. I do a repair on the install which makes the built in scans re-appear but then two days later they are gone (these are the virus scans that are supposed to occur at 2:00 am after an initial install of bit defender). Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know alot, but we had issue with Mcafee couple of years ago this was xp though, we use a Macafee unistaller.exe I'm sure if you did a search you will find it, not sure it will be a vista compatible. Hopeing someone else will help you with this problem.

Good luck

Martin

• I don't know alot, but we had issue with Mcafee couple of years ago this was xp though, we use a Macafee unistaller.exe I'm sure if you did a search you will find it, not sure it will be a vista compatible. Hopeing someone else will help you with this problem.

Good luck

Martin

I am sorry if I was misunderstood. I did not mean to imply that Mcafee had anything to do with the crashes. Mcafee uninstalled fine and I have beeen running bit defender for about 4 weeks now over several updates. This one update in particular caused a crashing problem unrelated to Mcafee but something to do with a new bitdefender update but apparently it was not a huge problem because others would have experienced the same issues I saw.

• flandrei
    flandrei Bitdefender VPN Product Manager BD Staff

Hi there,

The easiest way to find the cause of the issue is for you to send us all files in C:\Windows\Minidump. Since you cannot upload the files right here, I suggest that we continue this by email, in which case I will create a ticket in our database. If you are ok with this, please let me know.

If not, I would try the following, in Safe Mode:

1. Go to Start->Run

2. Type msconfig and press Enter

3. Go to the Startup tab

4. Remove the checkmark of all non-essential applications in that list.(be sure to leave Microsoft Windows, BitDefender and any NVidia applications intact)

5. Reboot the PC in Normal Mode and check if the issue occurs.

If it doesn't, go back to msconfig and enable the apps back one by one until you find the culprit.

Also please make sure that Windows Firewall, Windows Defender and User Account Control are OFF.

Thanks,

Florin

• Hi there,

The easiest way to find the cause of the issue is for you to send us all files in C:\Windows\Minidump. Since you cannot upload the files right here, I suggest that we continue this by email, in which case I will create a ticket in our database. If you are ok with this, please let me know.

If not, I would try the following, in Safe Mode:

1. Go to Start->Run

2. Type msconfig and press Enter

3. Go to the Startup tab

4. Remove the checkmark of all non-essential applications in that list.(be sure to leave Microsoft Windows, BitDefender and any NVidia applications intact)

5. Reboot the PC in Normal Mode and check if the issue occurs.

If it doesn't, go back to msconfig and enable the apps back one by one until you find the culprit.

Also please make sure that Windows Firewall, Windows Defender and User Account Control are OFF.

Thanks,

Florin

Thanks for the reply Florin, As I stated I was able to finally boot by sestarting my laptops about 3 times. The desktop would not fix itslef in that way so I did a system restore. I will be more than hppy to send you the .dmp file from Feb 27. As far as your fix there is no need to do those things since I am back up and running. I was just looking for an explanation of why the update by bitdefender caused these crashes. I use these computers for my business and can not afford downtime caused by updates of a simple virus scanner. So I guess what I only need from you guys is an explanation of what caused the crash and I would assume the .dmp file would help you determine this. So I will be sending them when I have an email address to send them to. Thanks again

• flandrei
    flandrei Bitdefender VPN Product Manager BD Staff

Hi there,

I have just sent you an email, you just need to reply to it with the files attached.

Thanks,

Florin