Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Antispyware "registry Controls"

Options

Could someone please explain to me what "Registry Control" means? I thought it meant controlling entries from being made in your Windows system Registry, but in the example shown on the Help Section, it shows an Application, in this case, "Program Files\Adobe Acrobat\etc. So is this use of the word "Registry" referring to a company accessing your computer to gather Product Registration information?

For your convenience, here is where I found it in BitDefender's Help file:

Dbl. Click on Management Console, DblClick on Antispyware Module, then click on Advanced Settings - Registry Control.

Thanks very much in advance.

Comments

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited July 2007
    Options

Hi C-1000,

This is what it says in the Help file:

The Registry is also used to define which programs should be launched automatically

when Windows is started. Viruses often use this in order to be automatically launched

when the user restarts his computer.

Registry Control keeps an eye on the Windows Registry - this is again useful for

detecting Trojan horses. It will alert you whenever a program will try to modify a registry

entry in order to be executed at Windows start-up.

In other words, BD doesn't track all registry changes. It simply monitores applications and warns you when a program wants to set itself to start when you turn on Windows. This is a way to protect you against malware.

How can this protect you

BitDefender, as well as any other AV solution, doesn't detect any malware out there (because everyday appear tens, maybe hundreds of new viruses/variants). It's simply impossible.

BUT when a virus comes in your PC, the first thing it does is to set itself to start with Windows. BitDefender monitores these actions and, when something tryes to do this, BD asks you about it (if you allow or deny that application to start at System Startup).

So, even if a virus is not known by BD, you can block it from starting up next time you start your PC. When BD alerts you about Registry changes, just read the message carefully and, if you don't recognize the application, just deny it's action.

Cris.

• C-1000
    Options

Thanks very much Cris. Now that brings up two more questions. When I went into my Console to enable Registry Controls, I am almost positive the box was not checked, and that I put a checkmark in it. 99% positive. (This would indicate it hadn't been on.) Yet when I've been installing software, I have gotten pop-ups that warn me that the program wants to make changes to my Registry.

So did I misunderstand what it meant, and unintentionally DISABLE that when I put a checkmark in the box?? (The screen shot showed "x tries blocked" or something like that in the example.) I hope I didn't disable it by placing the checkmark next to it. If so, I would want to know that IMMEDIATELY because I am installing all my software again after a re-installation of Windows.

My other question is, did I understand you to say that BitDefender doesn't defend against ANY malware? Or did you mean that it does, but that it can't defend against all of them at any one time simply because new ones are coming up every day?

I am trying the 30-day Trial Version, and from what I understand, catching malware is a biggie. I would like to clarify whether "any" was a mis-type or whether you meant it. And if you did mean it, then I need to know whether it is possible for malware to start working without a reboot, whereupon I would get warned that it's present and trying to launch.

Again, thank you in advance. I really appreciate your prompt reply to my first message. That was fast.

So far I am liking BitDefender... a LOT!!

• alexcrist
    Options
    Thanks very much Cris. Now that brings up two more questions. When I went into my Console to enable Registry Controls, I am almost positive the box was not checked, and that I put a checkmark in it. 99% positive. (This would indicate it hadn't been on.) Yet when I've been installing software, I have gotten pop-ups that warn me that the program wants to make changes to my Registry.

So did I misunderstand what it meant, and unintentionally DISABLE that when I put a checkmark in the box?? (The screen shot showed "x tries blocked" or something like that in the example.) I hope I didn't disable it by placing the checkmark next to it. If so, I would want to know that IMMEDIATELY because I am installing all my software again after a re-installation of Windows.

The checkmark means that BD Registry is Enabled. As far as I know, it is enabled by default.

My best guess is that you either disabled it and re-enabled it, or you enabled something else (maybe Privacy Control?).

My other question is, did I understand you to say that BitDefender doesn't defend against ANY malware? Or did you mean that it does, but that it can't defend against all of them at any one time simply because new ones are coming up every day?

I am trying the 30-day Trial Version, and from what I understand, catching malware is a biggie. I would like to clarify whether "any" was a mis-type or whether you meant it. And if you did mean it, then I need to know whether it is possible for malware to start working without a reboot, whereupon I would get warned that it's present and trying to launch.

Maybe I should have said "doesn't detect every malware out there". BitDefender finds all types of malware, but the new ones can't be detected before they are found and analysed by BitDefender Virus Researchers. BD has a very powerful heuristics engine which is used to detect new malware, based on their behaviour, but you always have to keep an eye out because nothing can protect you 100%.

Also, I have to advise you that BD doesn't detect all Spyware, so you should get another AntiSpyware (I use SpyBot Search and Destroy, and other users say that SuperAntispyware is very good also. They are both free, and you can get them just for a second opinion when you have some doubts :) )

So far I am liking BitDefender... a LOT!!

I'm glad you like BitDefender. I've used it for a long time and I've never been dissapointed by it :)

If you have any other questions, just ask around here. I'm sure you'll get an answer.

Cris.

• C-1000
    Options
    The checkmark means that BD Registry is Enabled. As far as I know, it is enabled by default.

My best guess is that you either disabled it and re-enabled it, or you enabled something else (maybe Privacy Control?).

Maybe I should have said "doesn't detect every malware out there". BitDefender finds all types of malware, but the new ones can't be detected before they are found and analysed by BitDefender Virus Researchers. BD has a very powerful heuristics engine which is used to detect new malware, based on their behaviour, but you always have to keep an eye out because nothing can protect you 100%.

Also, I have to advise you that BD doesn't detect all Spyware, so you should get another AntiSpyware (I use SpyBot Search and Destroy, and other users say that SuperAntispyware is very good also. They are both free, and you can get them just for a second opinion when you have some doubts :) )

I'm glad you like BitDefender. I've used it for a long time and I've never been dissapointed by it :)

If you have any other questions, just ask around here. I'm sure you'll get an answer.

Cris.

Okay, this is making sense now. Your answers were very appreciated. Thank ou, thank you!

I don't ask for the world from any single program (it would be impossible). I much appreciate your listing a couple of companion runs that specialize in these specific issues. If you've been running them in tamdem with BD, then these are two good "pop-up" sources.

I think you answered my question.

To confirm:

I leave the checkbox checked in the BitDefender Settings on the aboe page. (It's enabled, not disabled that checking/warning)

I add on either of the above programs (indepent of, but compatible with) BitDefender.

And I now have compatibility in...

BD Firewall

BE Anti-Virus

BD Anti pop-ups

And will BitDefender continue to prompt me on those, or should I just assume they are happening. I would really like to continue receiving pop-ups, I find them very comforting.

Thanks,

Carol

• C-1000
    Options

If anything about my last post was confusing, then please point it out.

Thanks,

Carol

• alexcrist
    Options

Hi Carol,

Okay, this is making sense now. Your answers were very appreciated. Thank ou, thank you!

I don't ask for the world from any single program (it would be impossible). I much appreciate your listing a couple of companion runs that specialize in these specific issues. If you've been running them in tamdem with BD, then these are two good "pop-up" sources.

One thing I didn't specify: I would advise you to get another antyspyware program, but not to run in realtime, in the same time with BitDefender. They might conflict with each other.

Just keep the antispyware application turned off, and run it once in a while (on demand), just to make sure nothing passed BitDefender. ;)

To confirm:

I leave the checkbox checked in the BitDefender Settings on the aboe page. (It's enabled, not disabled that checking/warning)

I add on either of the above programs (indepent of, but compatible with) BitDefender.

And I now have compatibility in...

BD Firewall

BE Anti-Virus

BD Anti pop-ups

One thing is wrong: BitDefender doesn't have Anti Pop-ups. BD v11 might have this feature, but I'm not sure.

BD v10 doesn't.

And will BitDefender continue to prompt me on those, or should I just assume they are happening. I would really like to continue receiving pop-ups, I find them very comforting.

If you are talking about the warnings about applications that try to change the startup list, then YES. BD will warn you about them, as long as you keep that module enabled.

Cris.

P.S.: I didn't answer as quickly as the previous times because it was really late last night. I just had to go to sleep :D

• C-1000
    Options

Sleep? You mean you people get to go to sleep? LOL.

Thanks much, Chris.

Now I have another question but on a different topic, so will start that thread.